Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 08:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you think Micro Four Thirds is a fad?

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 08, 2011 03:02 |  #61

Spacemunkie wrote in post #12556254 (external link)
I own a NEX 5 and constantly hear the "It's not much smaller than a Rebel" refrain. That's a load of rubbish - it's tiny (and with better IQ than my 7D...):

Problem is, to get it that small, you're stuck with the 16mm pancake.

Or yes, certain MF pancakes and other small lenses if you don't mind MF.

But sticking with AF, there are no pancakes for the NEX's at the moment that have a useful focal length (to me at least). And I would want AF on something small and portable, because the point of having a camera like that IMO is to be able to grab it and snap off a shot if you happen to see something interesting, and AF is usually better at that than MF on these cameras.

Once you want to get a better focal length, you've got quite a wide camera on your hands.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links
Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2011 03:27 |  #62

I may have a camera that is larger than it was, but it's still considerably smaller than anything else with an APS-C sensor inside (bar Sigma compacts). And IQ is superior to many other APS-C cameras too. MF is a piece of cake with 7x and 14x mag.

It's not a camera that you want to use zooms with and I personally wouldn't use anything over 50mm on it very often. Sony (or Sigma, Tamron, Cosina or Zeiss who have all agreed to produce E mount lenses) just need to get their fingers out and give us small, fast-ish 24mm, 35mm and 50mm primes. And a decent EVF. It's a system with massive potential.

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 08, 2011 03:31 |  #63

Spacemunkie wrote in post #12556401 (external link)
Sony (or Sigma, Tamron, Cosina or Zeiss who have all agreed to produce E mount lenses) just need to get their fingers out and give us small, fast-ish 24mm, 35mm and 50mm primes. And a decent EVF. It's a system with massive potential.

This I agree with completely :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 08, 2011 07:11 |  #64

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12556209 (external link)
This is soooooooo true. Remember the memory stick format and how they used to cram that down our throats for any Sony product we got? Even my Sony P&S from 2-3 years ago wouldn't support SD format.

The NEX and new Sony cameras support both SD and Memory Stick with a slight speed advantage for the MS.

The new Sony NEX-C3 is even smaller now with a 16.2 MP sensor like the Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000. Hands on video below.
http://sonyalphanex.bl​ogspot.com …ex-c3-hands-on-video.html (external link)

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,794 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 08, 2011 11:03 as a reply to  @ ken_vs_ryu's post |  #65

Full Frame, Half Frame:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Overkill:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,794 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 08, 2011 11:09 |  #66

It's not a camera that you want to use zooms with and I personally wouldn't use anything over 50mm on it very often. Sony (or Sigma, Tamron, Cosina or Zeiss who have all agreed to produce E mount lenses) just need to get their fingers out and give us small, fast-ish 24mm, 35mm and 50mm primes. And a decent EVF. It's a system with massive potential.

Like:

http://cameraquest.com​/voigt_m43.htm (external link)

Not your mentioned manufacturers, but there are a plethora of fast C-mount lenses out there.

https://photography-on-the.net …1050797&highlig​ht=navitar

http://www.rangefinder​forum.com/forums/showt​hread.php?t=99501 (external link)

http://www.rangefinder​forum.com/forums/showt​hread.php?t=86770 (external link)

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 08, 2011 13:23 |  #67

Jason C wrote in post #12557991 (external link)
Overkill:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Jason C

:lol:

And I thought putting a Zuiko 70-300mm on the E-PL1 was funny...

Flickr (external link)

shoturtle
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 08, 2011 22:25 |  #68

Problem was they were all on different pages, to lazy to go through all of them twice, ;)

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12556209 (external link)
This is soooooooo true. Remember the memory stick format and how they used to cram that down our throats for any Sony product we got? Even my Sony P&S from 2-3 years ago wouldn't support SD format.

Dude, not to be a jerk, but multi-quote is there for a reason. 2-3 responses in a row is acceptable laziness, but 5-posts in a row on a single page is too much.

Traveling is my passion, so I am a major Frequent Flyer.
Canon 60D, T1i/500D, Eos 1, Eos 630, and Olympus epl-1. Current Canon Lenses ef 100 2.8, ef 85 1.8, ef 50 1.4, ef 28 1.8, ef 50 1.8,ef 28-135, ef 70-300, ef-s 18-55, ef-s 55-250, 500D close up lens. Current Olympus lenses oly m4/3 14-42, oly 4/3 35mm 3.5 macro with m4/3 adapter, panasonic 45-200, panasonic 20 1.7. And a Part time Pentax K-X shooter.

shoturtle
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 08, 2011 22:35 |  #69

Actually the iq is not better then many modern aps-c camera. If you turn off the correction factors for distortions. The lens IQ of most the m4/3 lenses are poor. The correction that the m4/3 does really give it a high quality end product. But the DR is weak with m4/3.

The sensor of the nex is really better then the 7D. As the long going debate that nikon has a better sensor then the canon, is just carried on with the nex as it is the same sensor. But they straddle the nex with 2 soft kit lenses. The pancake is softer then the zoom, then new lenses should be better but bigger as well. No new pancake.

I may have a camera that is larger than it was, but it's still considerably smaller than anything else with an APS-C sensor inside (bar Sigma compacts). And IQ is superior to many other APS-C cameras too. MF is a piece of cake with 7x and 14x mag.

Traveling is my passion, so I am a major Frequent Flyer.
Canon 60D, T1i/500D, Eos 1, Eos 630, and Olympus epl-1. Current Canon Lenses ef 100 2.8, ef 85 1.8, ef 50 1.4, ef 28 1.8, ef 50 1.8,ef 28-135, ef 70-300, ef-s 18-55, ef-s 55-250, 500D close up lens. Current Olympus lenses oly m4/3 14-42, oly 4/3 35mm 3.5 macro with m4/3 adapter, panasonic 45-200, panasonic 20 1.7. And a Part time Pentax K-X shooter.

t3iblues
98 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 22, 2011 00:19 |  #70

mco_970 wrote in post #12551035 (external link)
I recently sold my m4/3 kit for a T3i, and while it's not as small as the GH1, it's much more versatile for my uses.

I did the opposite - I got tired of the wierd, unlifelike colors and lack of crispness of my T3i's jpegs and bought a little Olympus E-PL1 which is on sale for $349 at B&H Photography. Now I am in heaven enjoying the sharpness and vivid, yet true to life colors of the jpegs my little Olympus M4/3rds can deliver: http://i636.photobucke​t.com …u87/4ALC/testto​osharp.jpg (external link)
Plus the Olympus is half as large and heavy as the T3i.

I'll probably still keep the T3i, but use it only for videos (the E-PL1 is an older model that can only do 720p video whereas the T3i can do 1080p).

frule
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2011 08:07 |  #71

My wife and I both owned dslrs. She wanted smaller, but with tele capability. So we bought a G3 + 14-45 + 100-300 OIS. It's a nice system for her. I much prefer my T2i/70-200 f4 L IS/24-105 F4 L/Sigma 10-20mm.

The IQ is pretty good on the G3. I'm not a fan of the Panny menu system. I find dslrs to be much less complex. But, I think M43 has it's place. I like it much better than Sony's odd NEX camera system.

A fad? No.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 22, 2011 17:24 |  #72

t3iblues wrote in post #13143255 (external link)
I did the opposite - I got tired of the wierd, unlifelike colors and lack of crispness of my T3i's jpegs and bought a little Olympus E-PL1 which is on sale for $349 at B&H Photography. Now I am in heaven enjoying the sharpness and vivid, yet true to life colors of the jpegs my little Olympus M4/3rds can deliver: http://i636.photobucke​t.com …u87/4ALC/testto​osharp.jpg (external link)
Plus the Olympus is half as large and heavy as the T3i.

I'll probably still keep the T3i, but use it only for videos (the E-PL1 is an older model that can only do 720p video whereas the T3i can do 1080p).

Are you shooting and converting RAW images? I also have the E-PL1 and find the JPGs it produces very poor.

Flickr (external link)

Osa713
Goldmember
1,466 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 22, 2011 18:28 |  #73

I don't think it's a fad. There is a market for everyone

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

t3iblues
98 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 23, 2011 15:19 |  #74

K6AZ wrote in post #13147059 (external link)
Are you shooting and converting RAW images? I also have the E-PL1 and find the JPGs it produces very poor.

No, I am shooting in jpeg mode. Like today I shot this 1024x768 jpeg with my E-PL1 with its kit 14-42mm kit lens and uploaded it directly to photobucket with no editing whatsoever:
http://i636.photobucke​t.com …s/uu87/4ALC/new​/test2.jpg (external link)
I have not been able to get jpegs from my T3i that look as sharp and show as much detail and which have vivid yet lifelike colors despite many, many days and 1000's of shots worth a trial and error using various picture styles and white balance correction settings.

The T3i takes clearer and more detailed videos, however, than the E-PL1. The new E-PL3 is probably more competitive with the T3i videowise.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 23, 2011 15:32 |  #75

t3iblues wrote in post #13152232 (external link)
No, I am shooting in jpeg mode. Like today I shot this 1024x768 jpeg with my E-PL1 with its kit 14-42mm kit lens and uploaded it directly to photobucket with no editing whatsoever:
http://i636.photobucke​t.com …s/uu87/4ALC/new​/test2.jpg (external link)
I have not been able to get jpegs from my T3i that look as sharp and show as much detail and which have vivid yet lifelike colors despite many, many days and 1000's of shots worth a trial and error using various picture styles and white balance correction settings.

The T3i takes clearer and more detailed videos, however, than the E-PL1. The new E-PL3 is probably more competitive with the T3i videowise.

The kit 14-42 m43 is a horrible lens, I found that out right away. My advice would be to get another lens on it and it will produce very nice, sharp images. Since I also have standard four thirds lenses I got a m43-s43 adapter and use the standard 14-42 which is a much better lens.

Also, I would suggest shooting in RAW only and using the Olympus program to convert to JPG. That will get you even better color and tone.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

9,165 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you think Micro Four Thirds is a fad?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.