Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 08:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

zoom

princeterry
97 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 22, 2011 08:52 |  #1

Hi there
Can someone recommend me a good and relatively affordable zoom lens? Ideally anything from f3.5 or better which can be used for out and indoors. Any photo example would be great. Cheers

5DII * 550D * 10-22 f3.5 * 50 f1.8 * 28-75 f2.8

sponsored links
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 22, 2011 08:58 |  #2

Am I missing something? All your lenses aside from the 70-300 have f/3.5. Is there a specific FL range you're talking about and affordable to you is not the same as affordable to others so a specific price range should also be noted.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 22, 2011 09:08 |  #3

I'd have to agree with Ni$mo - You've more or less got 10 to 300mm covered - are you unhappy with one of your lenses?

Richard
Your friendly neighborhood photographer/organist-in-the-making
www.anvil.cc (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 22, 2011 09:14 |  #4

Can you be a little more specific? As already mentioned, you have plenty of zoom lenses. What's missing, or lacking?

princeterry
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 22, 2011 09:55 |  #5

sorry guys
yah, kinda trying to get rid of my Quantaray 70-300 f4 and thinking of going for a canon. I'm looking for a better glass. Was looking at the 70-300 f4 L a bit on the expensive side being an L lens but would rather take the 70-200 f2.8. The canon 70-300 f4 is about $4-500 new although i probably can get it cheaper 2nd hand but i take a lot more indoor shorts like weddings in dark areas hence the need for a f2.8... what i want is kinda out of my budget. btw it doesn't really have to be a canon if i can get a good enough lens any brand will do but i do prefer canon.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 22, 2011 09:56 |  #6

princeterry wrote in post #13144547 (external link)
Hi there
Can someone recommend me a good and relatively affordable zoom lens? Ideally anything from f3.5 or better which can be used for out and indoors. Any photo example would be great. Cheers

As others have stated, you'll have to be a LOT more specific about what you're looking for.

The first time I saw your post you had no listing of what you already own and I thought you may be a first-time purchaser but that does not seem to be the case. Thus, you should be able to help us understand more of what you are interested in.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 22, 2011 10:37 |  #7

princeterry wrote in post #13144547 (external link)
Hi there

Do you understand the concept of fixed max aperture vs. variable max aperture?

You have 3 variable aperture lenses in your signature, but you list them as if they are fixed at f3.5 or f4.

The 10-22 and 28-80 are only f3.5 at the wide end. They are much slower when zoomed in, f4.5 and f5.6 respectively. The 70-300 is the same way. It is only f4 around 70mm, and becomes a full stop slower once you zoom closer to 300mm.

So when you say you want a zoom that is f3.5 or better, do you want a lens that is f3.5 or faster throughout its range? Or is variable aperture acceptable? If it is, pretty much every lens out there aside from the longer telephoto zooms will be at least f3.5 at the wide end.

And with that out of the way, you also need to be a little more specific with your shooting needs for this new lens. What are you planning to shoot?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 22, 2011 10:44 |  #8

bpark42 wrote in post #13145116 (external link)

You have 3 variable aperture lenses in your signature, but you list them as if they are fixed at f3.5 or f4.

The 10-22 and 28-80 are only f3.5 at the wide end. They are much slower when zoomed in, f4.5 and f5.6 respectively. The 70-300 is the same way. It is only f4 around 70mm, and becomes a full stop slower once you zoom closer to 300mm.

So when you say you want a zoom that is f3.5 or better, do you want a lens that is f3.5 or faster throughout its range? Or is variable aperture acceptable? If it is, pretty much every lens out there aside from the longer telephoto zooms will be at least f3.5 at the wide end.

And with that out of the way, you also need to be a little more specific with your shooting needs for this new lens. What are you planning to shoot?

What you've called "fixed max aperture" is really called "constant aperture". If you're interested, I can get into a little more detail.

There are very few "fixed" aperture lenses out in the world, thank goodness.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 22, 2011 10:57 |  #9

SkipD wrote in post #13145159 (external link)
What you've called "fixed max aperture" is really called "constant aperture". If you're interested, I can get into a little more detail.

I am feeling a sense of deja vu here...this debate has been done before. I appreciate the distinction, but these days on internet forums, "fixed (max) aperture", "fixed (max) f-stop", "constant (max) aperture" etc. tend to be understood to mean the same thing. If you think the OP will benefit from hearing the literal definitions vs. their common internet forum usage, feel free to post.

For the OP, the short of it is, some lenses have a "fixed" maximum f-stop (more correct than aperture) that is the same throughout the zoom range. Others have a variable maximum f-stop. The faster end of that range (e.g. f3.5) tends to only apply to the widest end of the range.

princeterry
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 22, 2011 19:49 |  #10

bpark42 wrote in post #13145116 (external link)

sorry for the lack of info... variable aperture is acceptable. I need an all rounder fast enough for low light and good for outdoors if i'm not asking too much. don't want to get too techi on this subject, just need a better lens to replace my Quantaray. cheers

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 22, 2011 20:03 |  #11

you'll still need to give an actual number for your budget if you want suggestions...you mention what you want is out of your budget...well what is your budget exactly?

looking at your gear list and a mentioning of low-light the first thing i'd say you need to get is a flash

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 22, 2011 20:13 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #12

If you want to shoot in "dark areas" then you're going to need a flash more then anything else. You may find f2.8 not even fast enough to shoot in dim lighting.

From the sound of it you'd do well getting a flash first and a 70-200 f2.8 variant (canon or sigma) next.

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 22, 2011 20:15 |  #13

SkipD wrote in post #13145159 (external link)

amen to that. we would all be screwed if glass was fixed aperture

princeterry
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 23, 2011 03:26 |  #14

DreDaze wrote in post #13147786 (external link)
you'll still need to give an actual number for your budget if you want suggestions...you mention what you want is out of your budget...well what is your budget exactly?

looking at your gear list and a mentioning of low-light the first thing i'd say you need to get is a flash

unfortunately i hate using flash... its not as natural. i'm looking at $600, $1k max. perhaps if there's no prince to it u guys cld give me a better idea and if the lens are too expensive than i make do with the next and so forth. it would be nice to know which zoom out there are the best.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 23, 2011 12:19 |  #15

princeterry wrote in post #13149682 (external link)
unfortunately i hate using flash... its not as natural. i'm looking at $600, $1k max. perhaps if there's no prince to it u guys cld give me a better idea and if the lens are too expensive than i make do with the next and so forth. it would be nice to know which zoom out there are the best.

anyone that says they hate using flash doesn't know how to bounce an external one...i'm not talking about the flash on the camera...yeah that doesn't look good at all...

for $600 you could come close to a third party 70-200f2.8...either sigma or tamron...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,035 views & 0 likes for this thread
zoom
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.