Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 21 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 21:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When the players want photo shoots...

Tealtele
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 21, 2011 21:26 |  #1

I know this forum gets a lot of "pricing" questions...But oh well here's another one >_<

I'm a college student, photo editor for my community college newspaper. I've been shooting a ton of women's soccer this semester since it's the best team our school has basically...No football.

The players love my photos, through seeing them online, and today I got a paying offer to to shoot the goalkeeper and her 5 year old son(who's also a goalkeeper). She doesn't want prints just files.

I haven't discussed price specifics. On one hand I'm worried because if I shoot her for too cheaply the whole team is going to want cheap portraits, especially once they see how badass it is, and there is a lady I've seen around that does this kind of thing in my area for a living and I don't want to undercut her business if I can help it. She doesn't list prices on her website.

On the other hand, I don't want to ask too high of a price considering I am relatively new at this and don't have the costs the lady running her business has(I don't even have to pay rent for one thing).

Is it wrong to basically just say "whatever you feel comfortable spending on my services"?

sponsored links
NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 21, 2011 21:44 |  #2

you charge what you want to charge. Don't worry about "undercutting" somebody else's business or pricing too high just because you're new. Assuming you will actually take quality, professional looking photos (you mentioned badass), you need to charge for quality, professional looking photos.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

Huskers69
699 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 21, 2011 22:05 |  #3

If you're shooting a collegiate athlete, you would have to charge them what you would any other student at your college, otherwise you could risk making them ineligible.

flickr  (external link)
Project365 (external link)

Tealtele
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 21, 2011 23:32 |  #4

Huskers69 wrote in post #13142654 (external link)
If you're shooting a collegiate athlete, you would have to charge them what you would any other student at your college, otherwise you could risk making them ineligible.

it's community college so...I'm not sure how that works. But I'm definitely not charging them more or less than I would if any other student wanted me to photograph them.

A completely different scenario here but, say I do an environmental portrait of an athlete for the paper(different than someone asking me to do this in spare time without an assignment), I shouldn't just give that to them free right? Chances are most of them would copy the small version from the website for their facebooks which I have no problem with but if anyone wanted bigger sizes should I charge even if it's "on assignment"?

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 22, 2011 03:05 |  #5

Tealtele wrote in post #13143117 (external link)
it's community college so...I'm not sure how that works. But I'm definitely not charging them more or less than I would if any other student wanted me to photograph them.

Though they have some different rules this one remains about the same, was at a JC and eligibility is something had to go over with the director.

A completely different scenario here but, say I do an environmental portrait of an athlete for the paper(different than someone asking me to do this in spare time without an assignment), I shouldn't just give that to them free right? Chances are most of them would copy the small version from the website for their facebooks which I have no problem with but if anyone wanted bigger sizes should I charge even if it's "on assignment"?

If you own the rights then yes, why wouldn't you? Secondary sales are normal as long as the client you're shooting for has no problem with it - and if they do they should be paying you for those lost sales. None of my clients ever keep me from selling secondary, if they did I'd be charging for that at a price they'd probably balk at. In fact it's happened before and they always came back to the original price and let me keep my rights several times.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 22, 2011 05:46 |  #6

Tealtele wrote in post #13142412 (external link)
The players love my photos, through seeing them online, and today I got a paying offer to to shoot the goalkeeper and her 5 year old son(who's also a goalkeeper). She doesn't want prints just files.

So it is actually a portrait session per say? Set your session fee's (mini session/hour session/two hour session) and use that for the whole year. It should be easy to find what others are charging in your area for 'setting' fees and charge according. Then for the images you really need to ask one more question (if you don't already know), how will be the images be used. It's not uncommon for a parent to ask for the images and then 'give' them to a small publisher for a story down the road. But you will need to come up with a per image price. You can look at it as 'lost' sales as they will be taking the image to a box store for printing. Some will charge anywhere from 1x to 5x the amount they charge for an 8x10.

Your other option is quote her an hourly rate for the session and time to process the images. But at the end of the day you need to set your prices now and stick to it for the season.

Tealtele wrote in post #13142412 (external link)
Is it wrong to basically just say "whatever you feel comfortable spending on my services"?

You need to make up your mind. As stated by others, you need to charge the same to the whole team. I don't think asking for what ever they're comfortable paying would be considered a constant price. ;-)a

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

jdnan
450 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 22, 2011 07:36 |  #7

Is it wrong...

I'm not a professional photographer, but I am a businessman & I know business. That's a business decision that you have to make as an independent business person. It's not a right or wrong type of decision because it's not a moral/ethical/legal issue unless you're putting the student athlete at risk of violating rules. It's your service/knowledge/expe​rtise, so you have to decide the value of your services. A better question would be "...is it wise/smart/financially viable...", because then you start thinking like a business person. You're a small business if you charge for services and you have to think like a small business.

Jerry
Gear
Feedback
editing OK

Tealtele
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 22, 2011 18:09 |  #8

dwarrenr wrote in post #13143999 (external link)
So it is actually a portrait session per say? Set your session fee's (mini session/hour session/two hour session) and use that for the whole year. It should be easy to find what others are charging in your area for 'setting' fees and charge according. Then for the images you really need to ask one more question (if you don't already know), how will be the images be used. It's not uncommon for a parent to ask for the images and then 'give' them to a small publisher for a story down the road. But you will need to come up with a per image price. You can look at it as 'lost' sales as they will be taking the image to a box store for printing. Some will charge anywhere from 1x to 5x the amount they charge for an 8x10.

Your other option is quote her an hourly rate for the session and time to process the images. But at the end of the day you need to set your prices now and stick to it for the season.

You need to make up your mind. As stated by others, you need to charge the same to the whole team. I don't think asking for what ever they're comfortable paying would be considered a constant price. ;-)a

She said she's going to just do some prints at costco or whatever so she just wants the files. I think the hourly rate makes more sense to me than per image.

So to find out what others are charging in my area, is it typical to just ask the "other lady" I know? Because she doesn't list prices on her site...

It also might be useful to figure out at what point do I physically have to consider myself a "business"(and do all the crap that comes with that). I know it's $400 when I need to file for income taxes.

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 22, 2011 20:44 |  #9

I would recommend discussing this with the athletic director first. Whatever you do for an athletic, you must do the same for everyone else. Does not matter if it is free or you charge.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

Tealtele
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 24, 2011 12:41 |  #10

lauderdalems wrote in post #13148026 (external link)
I would recommend discussing this with the athletic director first. Whatever you do for an athletic, you must do the same for everyone else. Does not matter if it is free or you charge.

yeah I will.

Still trying to figure out the best way to find out the rates of others in my area.

sponsored links

1,915 views & 0 likes for this thread
When the players want photo shoots...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.