Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Sep 2011 (Friday) 05:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Backing up photos

oddne
79 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Sep 23, 2011 13:24 |  #16

GadgetRick wrote in post #13150958 (external link)
What are you using and how do you manager backups, etc.?

My problem is actually 2 parts:

1. I know there are solutions, I have to decide which one.
2. How do I manage the backups, archives, etc.?

I've searched and searched and there doesn't seem to be a general type of product/procedure photogs use as everyone seems to do something a little differently. So it's been a little confusing but I really need to get this figured out before I lose something important. :)

Nothing fancy here ;)

I use CarbonCopyCloner for Mac to copy over all new files in one catalog (currently 2011) to the two backup disks, I start this manually whenever I have emptied a card.
For online storage I use a Norwegian Service (jotta.no) with a small client which just looks for new files on one of the backup disks and then copies these files to the online storage.

None of my files are ever changed, the changes are stored in Lightroom which takes a backup to one of the remote disks whenever I close it. This backup is also copied to the online storage.

I don't have multiple versions of the same files and don't handle archives ;-)a

So, mix of manual and automatic backup, but it's working very well for me. Never lost a photo, even if I have lost some disks over the years.

GadgetRick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 23, 2011 13:40 |  #17

bubbygator wrote in post #13151372 (external link)
I use 2 external drives, one connected & one in a firesafe. I backup daily to the connected one using FolderClone <link (external link)> - have used this for about 7 years, so there are probably newer/better software out there... search this forum for ideas.

At the end on each month, I swap drives and simply continue. My first daily backup with the new drive only takes slightly longer. Each drive also contains a Windows backup Image of my PC, for system recovery; I only update that every 3 months or so.

It does take awhile to get each drive originally loaded, but thereafter, it's no big deal.

FolderClone (and I'm sure others too) can be set to do just about any kind of backup routine you like, selecting whatever folder you want... and you can design different tasks for different drives or uses.

(FWIW, I also backup critical personal & computer data to a 32gb SD card that I can pop out & put in my pocket.)

Great info! Thanks!

GadgetRick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 23, 2011 13:43 |  #18

oddne wrote in post #13151712 (external link)
Nothing fancy here ;)

I use CarbonCopyCloner for Mac to copy over all new files in one catalog (currently 2011) to the two backup disks, I start this manually whenever I have emptied a card.
For online storage I use a Norwegian Service (jotta.no) with a small client which just looks for new files on one of the backup disks and then copies these files to the online storage.

None of my files are ever changed, the changes are stored in Lightroom which takes a backup to one of the remote disks whenever I close it. This backup is also copied to the online storage.

I don't have multiple versions of the same files and don't handle archives ;-)a

So, mix of manual and automatic backup, but it's working very well for me. Never lost a photo, even if I have lost some disks over the years.

Sounds good to me. I'll have to look into this.

Thanks!

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 24, 2011 00:09 |  #19

LG NAS N4B1N 4 bay (4 X 2TB - raid 5) with built in blue ray writer.
Files backed up to blue ray disks in addition to stored on NAS.
I also have the pioneer BDXL blue ray writer that writes to 100 GB discs.
LG latest version is the N4B2N

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2011 00:44 |  #20

On 3.5" HD
I have a 250GB HD with a exact clone of my laptop which I do once a month.
I have a 500GB HD with all my pictures which I update once a week.
I have another 1TB as storage.
I just picked up a 1.5TB today and I'm going to move everything from my 500GB to it and move everything from my 250 to the 500GB. Then I'll figure something out for the 250GB.

I use SyncToy to sync files. It's free and it's from Microsoft.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

GadgetRick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 24, 2011 06:53 as a reply to  @ RHChan84's post |  #21

Looking into all of the ideas here.

Thanks!

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2011 07:17 |  #22

GadgetRick wrote in post #13150123 (external link)
How do you sync files? Just regular backup software?

Honestly, I've been thinking of a RAID Array. Prices have been coming down and makes life a lot easier. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Don't ever once (!) think of a RAID as a backup. It is just a disk copy of your files with some extra protection from a disk failure. To get backups, you need multiple copies of your data. And at least one of the copies should be outside of your house, to survive a fire or theft.

About swapping BD disks? Not so bad, since you don't use the disks for searching for files. You should already have a copy of the file on your main storage. Or on a separate USB drive stored off-line (not connected) at home. Or on a separate USB drive stored off-site.

The strength of BD disks (like CD and DVD disks) is that they don't instantly break if dropped. And they don't have a fragile file system that can with a second of bad write commands turn thousands or millions of files through the shredder by forgetting what is archived where and how any fragmentation of the files resulted in different parts of the file moved to different regions of the storage volume.

100 BD disks at 25GB each is 2.5TB. So it isn't too bad to use them. Next thing is that a rewriteable optical disk is great for storing daily captures until enough have accumulated until it's time to transfer to an off-site disk.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Swins
76 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2011 07:50 |  #23

I have a Dell server in the studio. RAID 6 12 TB with a spare OS drive running win server 2003 and retrospect as the backup agent.
I sync to an offsite NAS RAID 5 12TB with cloud services installed. The first time I set up the offsite I actually synced it onsite, the moved it offsite. now it's just the dailies that backup. I set th backup to run at 1am and depending on the day, and the shooting by 10am the backups are done.

In the field I use a colorspace udma drive with 500 gb of storage if not shooting tethered.
My process is, shoot, backup th cards to the colorspace, get back the studio, import the cards to lightroom. After the nightly backup, I sometimes purge the colorspace, sometimes I wait.

J.Litton
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 24, 2011 09:08 |  #24

resno wrote in post #13150146 (external link)
There are a couple solutions.

It depends on what you are trying to protect against. If you are protecting against only hardware, your hard drive dies, etc. Or damage or theft to your personal property.

If hard drive: add an external drive, or copy/ backup files to it.

If theft or damage: Look at online solutions. Dropbox comes to mind. Although there are tons, and many are automatic.

It just depends what you want to pay, and what you want to protect against.

You have to be careful with Dropbox. They do some compression and unless told to, do not upload full quality images.

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,094 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 24, 2011 15:59 |  #25

I use a Western Digital 2TB MY Book external HD that I connect up just to back up photos. I keep it in a separate place from the computer.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Sony RX100 V | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

GadgetRick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 26, 2011 05:23 as a reply to  @ tvphotog's post |  #26

Great ideas everyone! Finally starting to formulate a solution...just haven't settled on one yet. :)

Thanks so much everyone!!!

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
9,019 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Sep 26, 2011 06:06 |  #27

Yes, some kind of backup software is best.

Even with a RAID array you need to have 2 additional copies to truly be safe (or at least as safe as possible)

GadgetRick wrote in post #13150123 (external link)
How do you sync files? Just regular backup software?

Honestly, I've been thinking of a RAID Array. Prices have been coming down and makes life a lot easier. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
9,019 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Sep 26, 2011 06:08 |  #28

This is a personal RAID that you sync through the cloud? I would be very interested in the setup as well as details on how well it is working for you?

Thanks

Doc

Swins wrote in post #13155097 (external link)
I have a Dell server in the studio. RAID 6 12 TB with a spare OS drive running win server 2003 and retrospect as the backup agent.
I sync to an offsite NAS RAID 5 12TB with cloud services installed. The first time I set up the offsite I actually synced it onsite, the moved it offsite. now it's just the dailies that backup. I set th backup to run at 1am and depending on the day, and the shooting by 10am the backups are done.

In the field I use a colorspace udma drive with 500 gb of storage if not shooting tethered.
My process is, shoot, backup th cards to the colorspace, get back the studio, import the cards to lightroom. After the nightly backup, I sometimes purge the colorspace, sometimes I wait.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 26, 2011 07:11 |  #29

rklepper wrote in post #13164170 (external link)
This is a personal RAID that you sync through the cloud? I would be very interested in the setup as well as details on how well it is working for you?

Thanks

Doc

Just remember that synchronization is dangerous if the target installation doesn't make use of versioning.

One requirement of a backup is that it supports the retrieval of an old file, in case an user error or other accident has resulted in a local file having been erased, overwritten or in some other ways been destroyed.

A cloning solution may not just duplicate that file change to the alternative storage solution too, unless the external RAID also keeps the original copy of the file.

It is very easy for a virus to destroy a lot of files before the user notices that anything is wrong. Such actions must not run through all existing backup generations, or the user will be out of recovery options.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

japhoto
159 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 26, 2011 07:21 |  #30

I had the same issue a while ago, but I decided to write my thesis about this stuff, so here's what I ended up with.

The goal was to make a comprehensive backup solution with a small budget. I worked in a PC store a while back, so I have loads of computer parts laying around, so it was time to put them to good use.

Basically my system is a combination of different methods:
-A Linux-based server at home with 6TB software Raid-6 (I also have another Linux server, but not for backup purposes)
-External hard drives for offsite backups
-External hard drive for continuous backup
-Raid-1 on the workstation for photos only (this is not yet done)

I thought about cloud services also, but since ADSL upload speeds tend to suck, I'm not going to push several hundred gigs of stuff over 1Mb line.

So to break it down, I used an older computer (Intel q6600, 4Gb ram etc.) as my server in an Antec P182 case and in fact the only thing I had to buy new was 4 1TB drives since I only had two in the first place.

With that configuration I installed Ubuntu server v. 10.04 LTS to an IDE-drive (all the sata ports were used for storage drives) and configured the Raid array with mdadm. Pretty straightforward stuff since I've never used Linux before this project. You do have to go trough a few tutorials on the way though :D

I'm on a Windows machine, so Time machine was out of the question, but I found that probably the closest thing to that for Windows is a program called Genie Timeline. It has worked pretty well for me and it backs up my stuff continuously to an external USB hard-drive.

Here I tend to buy a hard drive and a separate USB enclosure for it since if you get 1-2 years warranty with normal external hard-drives, this way you can get 3-5years warranty depending on the drive itself. It's usually cheaper as well and you can upgrade to a bigger drive easily if needed.

For the regular backups I use BackUp Maker which is free (but with a nagging screen, which I can live with) and it does full and incremental backups to my external hard drive which I keep offsite (Adidas network) and to my Linux server.

The computers are connected with CAT-6 cables to a gigabit switch which gives reasonable speeds for home use. I do intend to get an 8-port gigabit switch so I can try "trunking" or combining two gigabit ports to work as one on my servers and maybe also on my workstation to get even better speeds over the network.

Also I'm going to move my photos on a Raid-1 array when I have a bit of spare time to do it.

This is how I did it and I'd say it's a sufficient protection for a home user if you don't mind "getting your hands a little dirty". It also helps if you have older computers around that you can put into good use like I did.

If you are a professional I think you can make this kind of system work for you as it can be scaled pretty well, but you also might want to put a bit more money towards getting a more efficient solution.

Hopefully this was helpful to you.

Canon EOS 1Ds MkII | Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS | Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II | Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | Canon 35 f/2.0 IS | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon EF-25 II
Japhoto blog (external link) - Google+ (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

4,983 views & 0 likes for this thread, 19 members have posted to it.
Backing up photos
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.