Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 May 2011 (Thursday) 16:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Benro C2680T travel tripod

Mossman6
952 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 23, 2011 09:32 |  #61

Hi Peter, could you please tell me which tripod has a smaller diameter when packed? It looks like the gitzo is more compact (diameter wise). I'm trying to put a small travel tripod in my think tank security (the compartment is measured 20x2.5) and am hoping the benro will fit in this tight spot.

My name is Josh. I love FB likes.
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 23, 2011 16:20 |  #62

Hi Peter, excellent, detailed review. I am that close to order Benro. Have you noticed any quality issues, loose tolerances comparing to Gitzo?
I was looking at another Review of Travel Tripods (external link) and the author found some what he calls "niggles" on Benro model and GT1541T just outstanding in that regard.
I understand that Benro is half of Gitzo price and at that price point expecting identical quality would be unreasonable, but if I read it right your review indicates zero quality differences between the two. Just curious if you were just a bit over enthusiastic or they are indeed that close.
Would love to hear if anyone else used both can provide some input as well.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: On the other hand it seems like not everything that peachy and rosy with Gitzo build quality The Photo That Broke my (New) Gitzo Tripod (external link)

whu-1
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 23, 2011 22:29 |  #63

hi andrew , the Benro C-168 M8 is no longer available i think cheeck out b @ d , just ordered the Benro Trans-Functional Carbon Travel Angle with B Head C1681TB0 from digital rev for $330 . ill let you known when it turns up about the loose tolerances ( im a fitter by trade ).:rolleyes:

Check out there c/f layering

my 2 penney worth :lol:

Spent a long time looking my self, and i come up with there no was a tripod cost that much to produce/ship and sell . It would simply annoy me to much buying a
Gitzo when I know it’s the name not the components that cost .

The acid tests is , as all ways can you explain and justify a $750 tripod to the miss with out getting a ear bashing or eyes rolling evey time she saw it lol

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 24, 2011 11:28 |  #64

Peter, one more thing, in your review you mentioned that GT1541T does not take spikes. Is that really the case, this is from B&H Traveler description http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …T_Traveler_6X_C​arbon.html (external link)

- Removable Leg Tips Removable rubber leg tips are interchangeable with Gitzo universal accessories such as the big foot, long spike, etc. They have also been improved with a self locking system that avoids accidental loss.

peter_n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 24, 2011 16:50 |  #65

Sorry for the late replies but I've been out-of-town for a few days on a trip (with my travel tripod) and just got back today.

at7815 wrote in post #13147324 (external link)
... I'm going to be using the tripod for some nighttime photography with long exposures, 25 to 30 seconds, do you think this Benro would be sturdy enough for that?

Depends on a number of factors; your gear, the amount of extension you use on the tripod, and the environment you're taking your shots in.

I have not taken 25-30 second shots using a dSLR, but I have taken 15 second shots and they were fine. That was with a Fuji S5 (Nikon D200 w/Fuji sensor) and an end-heavy Nikkor 17-55/2.8. My normal cameras are Leica rangefinders and a Rolleiflex TLR, they are small and light and the tripod handles very long exposures (minutes) under the right circumstances with them.

You can mitigate issues such as vibration by being conservative with extensions, and I don't just mean just the center column, but the legs as well. This tripod is taller than my 1541T so I never have to use as much of the center column on it anyway, but clearly the shorter the center column is the less you have to worry about stability as well.

That goes for the legs also, and not just the bottom section. You can get a more stable rig by shortening each leg section by 2-3 inches rather than pulling out the top three sections fully but not the bottom section at all.

If you're shooting in a gusty wind environment you can have problems. The only tripod I use that seems to be completely impervious to this is my Gitzo 3541LS. You can stand wind-side of a smaller tripod and use your body, but you need a remote trigger to do that successfully, or you can use something like a folding light reflector to lessen the effect of the gusts. But if the wind is really bad the only solution is a bigger tripod with no center column.

I think provided you are using gear that is reasonably small (i.e. not a wind catcher) and light, you're smart about using the extensions, and understand the effects of even slight wind gusts, you can take long duration pictures quite successfully with the C2680T. My use of this tripod is often urban nighttime, and I'm a film shooter and you need to account for the different films' reciprocity requirements as well and I've had good results with long exposures in urban environments with potential sources of vibration around (traffic etc).

Mossman6 wrote in post #13150548 (external link)
Hi Peter, could you please tell me which tripod has a smaller diameter when packed? It looks like the gitzo is more compact (diameter wise). I'm trying to put a small travel tripod in my think tank security (the compartment is measured 20x2.5) and am hoping the benro will fit in this tight spot.

The Gitzo has a smaller diameter without question. There are two reasons; (a) on the Benro the bridge that connects the center part of the main casting (spider) to the reverse-folding joints is 17mm deep for rigidity, and (b) it is wider than the Gitzo's because the top leg section on the C2680T is 29mm and much beefier than the Gitzo, so the spider needs to be correspondingly wider. As I mentioned in post #22 above I can't measure the diameter of either tripod but measured with a fabric tape at the leg collar the Benro is 11.75in and the Gitzo is 10.25in in circumference that gives you a straight diameter of 3.7in for the Benro. It's probably a little less than that, but more than 2.5in for sure.

With the Markins Q3T on the top the C2680T is 17.75in in length, but because of the diameter I don't think the Benro fits in your bag. Not surprising; you look at the two tripods together and the Benro definitely has more bulk.

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #13152531 (external link)
Have you noticed any quality issues, loose tolerances comparing to Gitzo?

No. I've used the Benro for a year now and the only thing I've done is adjust one of the screws on a leg joint. I think it was the leg I took off to take pictures of the main casting joint construction. Just a further note on that point, those leg joints are machined pretty finely with close tolerances and so far (so far) they're the same as they were when the tripod was delivered. These joints are one of the most heavily used mechanical components of the tripod and they've held up very well.

Yesterday I was in Princeton, NJ and spent all of the afternoon taking pictures in the pouring rain. I had the Benro permanently extended and walked around with bag, umbrella and camera on tripod for hours. After I was done I did a fairly poor job of wiping the legs then put the tripod away and when I got home this morning I opened it up again to try the leg locks. They were fine even though the tripod was still a bit wet. The thing does seem pretty solid.

I was looking at another Review of Travel Tripods (external link) and the author found some what he calls "niggles" on Benro model and GT1541T just outstanding in that regard.
I understand that Benro is half of Gitzo price and at that price point expecting identical quality would be unreasonable, but if I read it right your review indicates zero quality differences between the two. Just curious if you were just a bit over enthusiastic or they are indeed that close.

That's an interesting review and thank you for the link. I can't speak to the Feisol but the comparison between the Benro C168 M8 (now labeled as C1680T) and the Gitzo 1541T is a mismatch; an apple and an orange. The competition for the Gitzo traveler is the Benro C2680T; a different animal entirely. A Gitzo 1541T is always going to be a better tripod than a Benro C1680T. A series-1 Gitzo = a series-2 Benro; just different naming conventions.

Was I a bit overenthusiastic? Others can be the judges of that but personally I don't think so. I waited for 9 months of use before writing the review, and I try to keep my language temperate. I don't recommend my tripod where I think it inappropriate for a person's use. I've even recommended tripods that I have reservations about (Feisol for example) where there is a height issue. I use other tripod brands than Benro. Do I think there are zero quality differences between the two? To be honest I haven't been able to discern any apart from the leg locks.

Having said all that let's just remember that all these reviews we read (and write) of product comparisons are merely a sample of one. And a sample of one absolutely does not make a normal distribution. You cannot generalize from a sample of one and yet we all do; I'm as guilty of this as much as anyone else. Just because my sample of a product is brilliant or crap doesn't mean they all are. I'm a Leica user, some Leica normal (50mm) lenses are $4K and a larger percentage of those than you might think are defective. There are defective Benros, defective Gitzos (as you point out), defective Leicas and so on. I think we should keep that in mind when reading reviews and particularly recommendations. To be honest, I discount most recommendations I read as I prefer to try things for myself. So caveat emptor, you should be taking my words with a pinch of salt too... ;)

Would love to hear if anyone else used both can provide some input as well.

Me too! :) I would also really like it if those who bought this Benro could report back on their experience with it; good, bad or indifferent it all adds to the sample count for this particular model.

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #13155754 (external link)
Peter, one more thing, in your review you mentioned that GT1541T does not take spikes. Is that really the case, this is from B&H Traveler description http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …T_Traveler_6X_C​arbon.html (external link)

The 1541T has a 12mm bottom section diameter and so can't take spikes. The Benro has a 18.5mm diameter and can. That's a mistake in the B&H web page. There's no mention of spikes on the 1542T web page on B&H.

~Peter

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 24, 2011 19:48 |  #66

Has anyone tried Markins M10 or Q10 with C2680T? How bad is it folded, I understand that legs won't be parallel but how far apart? The base of M10 is 62mm, I've read that C268 M8 ballhead mount base was 58mm, is it the same diameter on C2680T?
BTW, supplied with the kit Benro B1 head has 56mm base.

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 24, 2011 19:54 |  #67

peter_n wrote in post #13156821 (external link)
Do I think there are zero quality differences between the two? To be honest I haven't been able to discern any apart from the leg locks.

Thanks Peter, really appreciate your helpful reply, and if I remember correctly you liked Benro locks better than Gitzo, right?

Mossman6
952 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 24, 2011 23:57 |  #68

Peter, thank you for the feedback. It's much appreciated. :)

My name is Josh. I love FB likes.
Facebook (external link)

peter_n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 25, 2011 08:07 |  #69

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #13157448 (external link)
Has anyone tried Markins M10 or Q10 with C2680T? How bad is it folded, I understand that legs won't be parallel but how far apart? The base of M10 is 62mm, I've read that C268 M8 ballhead mount base was 58mm, is it the same diameter on C2680T?

The base diameter on the regular C2680T center column is about 4-5mm less than the panning base on the Q3T, which has a diameter of 50mm. In the pic below both ballheads are Q3T and the top column is the one supplied with the C2680T and the bottom one is the optional short column, which does have a wider base.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

peter_n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 25, 2011 08:11 |  #70

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #13157475 (external link)
Thanks Peter, really appreciate your helpful reply, and if I remember correctly you liked Benro locks better than Gitzo, right?

Yes indeed. :)

Mossman6 wrote in post #13158435 (external link)
Peter, thank you for the feedback. It's much appreciated. :)

You're very welcome, Josh!

~Peter

at7815
67 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 25, 2011 11:28 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #71

Thanks, Peter!!! Your detailed response is much appreciated. I have placed my order with Holgacamera and could not be more excited. Thanks again!

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 25, 2011 21:59 |  #72

After agonizing 2 weeks of research, finally put my order for C2680TB1 (legs with b1 ballhead).
As prices for quickly draining out stock of Gitzo GT1541T are soaring up, the *improved* 1542T version does not stand a chance against Benro.
If that helps anyone, I've compiled a quick break down between two models.
Peter, thanks again for your tremendously thorough review, you've probably made Benro more sales than all their marketing and sales departments.
Benro leads 6 to 4

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 26, 2011 12:19 |  #73

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #13162454 (external link)
After agonizing 2 weeks of research, finally put my order for C2680TB1 (legs with b1 ballhead).
As prices for quickly draining out stock of Gitzo GT1541T are soaring up, the *improved* 1542T version does not stand a chance against Benro.
If that helps anyone, I've compiled a quick break down between two models.
Peter, thanks again for your tremendously thorough review, you've probably made Benro more sales than all their marketing and sales departments.
Benro leads 6 to 4

i am still debating on this or the newest iteration of the benro. can someone do a comparison table like above? the only disadvantage i see is that it has more sections.

VictoRia:roll::D
Canon 20D,40D gripped,50D gripped,7D gripped
A flash for each^. 2x580EX II, 1x430EX II, 550EX
Bunch of glass.:)
Bunch of accessories.

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 26, 2011 13:24 |  #74

RiaGurl wrote in post #13165509 (external link)
i am still debating on this or the newest iteration of the benro. can someone do a comparison table like above? the only disadvantage i see is that it has more sections.

You can see specs on all models on Chinese Benro web site
http://english.benro.c​n …ngGuidContext.a​spx?id=348 (external link)
2680T is the latest and greatest iteration of C268 M8.
If by newer iteration you mean transfunctional, I would advise skipping it, monopod is too short for practical use but legs come with non grooved center column which rotates during panning, plus ballhead base is not securely locked (to support transformation to monopod) and may unscrew during use (Gitzo Travelers have the same problem).

Beski
442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 26, 2011 14:09 as a reply to  @ Andrew_WOT's post |  #75

After reading this thead and various other reviews and specs, I settled on the Benro C2682TB1 which is the "2nd Generation" version of this Transfunctional tripod.

It overcomes the original "shortcomings"of the 1st Generation C2681TB1 by having the entire Center Column come out and attach to the Monopod leg to add to the overall length of the Monopod rather than having just the Ballhead section of the 1st Generation. This adds another 15 or so inches to the Monopod which makes it more than tall enough for the average user.

I just got back from 10 days in Arizona (Grand Canyon, Page & Sedona) and this Tripod served me quite well for long exposures in Antelope Canyon etc. Not sure if I will ever need a Monopod, but you never know what situation may come up when traveling so I figured I would get it just in case. (I used my 1D Mark III and 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 f/4 with no poblems in landscape or portrait orientation).

I got it on the e-Bay site below and the seller was GREAT to deal with - fast communication, tracking # etc. Plus I paid an extra $15 for Fast Shipping to have it in time for our trip and it took just 3 days from Hong Kong to New Jersey, US. (It's taken me longer to send a letter across town to my sister !!)

For me, it's a good & sturdy 4 section Travel Tripod !!

http://www.ebay.com …ipods&hash=item​2313d1fc5e (external link)

1D Mark III | 40D | Rebel 300D
100-400L | 300 4L | 70-200 4L IS | 24-105L [COLOR=#800080]| 17-40L| 100 Macro | 10-22 | 85 1.8 | 50 1.8 II | 580EX

sponsored links

120,260 views & 2 likes for this thread
Review: Benro C2680T travel tripod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.