Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 21 Mar 2006 (Tuesday) 07:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New York City: Street Tourism **Warning: 56K**

Calzinger
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 21, 2006 07:01 |  #1

New York City: Street Tourism
Sunday, March 19, 2006
Canon 350D Rebel XT
+ 70-200 f/4L

It was a cloudy day in the streets of Manhattan with short bursts of sunlight. All Times Square had to offer was tourism. I sure felt like a tourist. I suppose I am a tourist since I live in the suburbs of New York, though I find myself in Manhattan every few weeks.

The processing was a bit rubbish since I had over 350 shots to process, got lazy towards the end.

Of course, comments and critique are welcome.

The full gallery is viewable at my website. Since I could not post all of the photos here, you will have to click the links below. There are plenty of photos in each gallery so have fun. They are separated by category.

NYC Pidgeons:
http://photo.calzinger​.net …BrowseCategory.​php&cat=24 (external link)

My Cousin (Andrew) In Action: (with new 20D)
http://photo.calzinger​.net …BrowseCategory.​php&cat=29 (external link)

NYC Lives of the Streets:
http://photo.calzinger​.net …BrowseCategory.​php&cat=28 (external link)

NYC Street Life:
http://photo.calzinger​.net …-BrowseCategory.php&cat​=3 (external link)

[IMG tags removed from photos. Too many per post/thread.]

"That building in the background is distracting."
"Oh OK, I'll move it out of the way next time."
internet forum fail

sponsored links
BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 21, 2006 11:37 |  #2

Chris, very nice pics you have there! I like those of the street musicians, I am quite fond of these street peformers and I take pictures of them too when I can. It looks like a South American, markahuasi band.

Sorry I wasn't able to hook up with you guys. I had pressing family matters - perhaps next time. Is that your cousin's new camera?

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

NickSim87
Sir Chimp-a-lot
3,602 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 21, 2006 12:32 |  #3

Drinking a Corona at Sbarro, you New Yorkers...

Gear List | Feedback

Calzinger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 21, 2006 19:15 |  #4

Thanks Pio. I thought the shots of the band were the best of the day actually. Not only were they the most crisp but they just have their own life. And I took a liking to their music. I had to save my cash for food and transporation though. Never have I had better pizza than at this Sbarro! I guess that's what I get for $11.

No worries that you couldn't make it. My cousin enjoyed exercising his new 20D and Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and totaled around 100 pictures. I enjoyed the rush of things and ended the day with 350 pictures, 95 of which I processed, 64 of which made it to print.

Actually Nick, my cousin was planning to get a Corona and I had my eye on a Samuel Adams Black Lager, but seeing as how I'm under age (16), he couldn't buy me one. We settled on two sodas.

Here are a few more shots of me in action, obviously taken by my cousin:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

#17, this was heavily out of focus, i even wonder if my cousin pressed the AF button, though i think the revival is pretty remarkable
IMAGE NOT FOUND

These are some shots of my cousin in action.

#18, taken in B&H with Sigma 28mm f/1.8, for $250, not a bad lens, eh?
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#19, try to ignore the terrorist outfit, even the guy at Sbarro at something to say about it, something along the lines of "and your shotgun" (in reference to his camera)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

#21, here i am getting in the way of one of his shots
IMAGE NOT FOUND

internet forum fail

skrezyna
247 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 21, 2006 20:27 |  #5

Chris,

I love these pics! So crisp and getting a sense of New York makes me wanna go there again! (I was when I was 13, 30 now).

And that lens aint half bad! (Sigma 28mm)

I'm waiting for four lenses!

http://www.danskrezyna​.com (external link)
5D w/BG-E4,
[35L f/1.4] [50 f/1.4] [85 f/1.8] [135L f/2] [70-200L f/2.8 IS]
580EX-I

jwbker
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 21, 2006 20:38 as a reply to  @ skrezyna's post |  #6

Looks like you guys had a good time roving the streets. Will your cousin be posting in the future?

James

JMAS
Goldmember
2,492 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 21, 2006 20:39 |  #7

Nice photos of city life. The ones of the musicians are the best for me.

Cheers,
Jaime
______
Gear
Some photos (external link)

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,966 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 21, 2006 21:17 |  #8

hah nice! so i guess that siggy 28mm worked out for ya?

Calzinger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 22, 2006 06:52 |  #9

Skrezyna wrote:
="Skrezyna"]Chris,

I love these pics! So crisp and getting a sense of New York makes me wanna go there again! (I was when I was 13, 30 now).

And that lens aint half bad! (Sigma 28mm)

I'm waiting for four lenses!

Thanks Skrezyna. New York City is just one of those cities, one which I just can't describe. I hope my pictures say enough. I can't get enough of Manhattan. I somehow find myself there every other week!

jwbker wrote:
="jwbker"]Looks like you guys had a good time roving the streets. Will your cousin be posting in the future?

James, my cousin isn't registered here actually. He's currently on a ridiculously busy working schedule. It ends around a week before the annual NY Auto Show (which we will be going to). At that time, we will be shooting much more and he will have time to put his pictures to work. I will certainly suggest that he register here. But right now, he doesn't even have time to process his pictures from Sunday (I had to do some) much less post at POTN.

JMAS wrote:
="JMAS"]Nice photos of city life. The ones of the musicians are the best for me.

Thanks Jaime. As I told Pio, I also think the photos of the band are the best of the day.

kaitanium wrote:
="kaitanium"]hah nice! so i guess that siggy 28mm worked out for ya?

Well, I didn't buy the Sigma 28mm f/1.8. I just went to B&H to try it out with no real intent of buying it. Hell, B&H is my toystore, and I just love playing with toys that I know I won't be buying. I've sort of dropped my intent of buying that type of lens. My plan is to just save up as much money as possible and get what I really want, rather than going for a temporary solution which I may not even be able to resell. To be honest though, I was quite impressed with the Sigma.

internet forum fail

PeteNJ
164 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 22, 2006 10:08 as a reply to  @ Calzinger's post |  #10

Great shots! I walk by those Times Square locations every morning/night on my way to and from work. You should try the Sigma 30mm f1.4 I am REALLY happy with it.

Canon 50D
Sigma 30mm f1.4
| Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 | Tokina 12-24 f4
Canon Speedlite 430EX

kbyrd8455
419 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 22, 2006 20:02 |  #11

nice shots it's funny being that I live here I never want to take my camera out with me to the city but looking at your post I just may have to. I like the traffic cop picture.

Canon Rebel XT kit lens, Canon 50mm 1.8 lens, Canon 24mm-70mm L (The Brick), Canon 28mm-135mm IS, Canon 75mm-300 , Sigma 28mm 200mm, :lol: 430 EX speedlite
Will sing and dance for a 5D
C&C please I want to learn.

Snafu
255 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 23, 2006 00:20 |  #12

Chirs...really good shots there. Wish I could have made the meet.

Andy

wkhc168
73 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 23, 2006 09:10 |  #13

Nice pics :) I am assuming that you took all those on the street using the 70-200 4L. BTW you have bascially the same gear as I do. I also have the 70-200 and the kit lens and I am waiting for a Tamron 17-35 (on its way) to replace the paperweigh :D I also bought a 50mm 1.8 the other day and that basically completed my set of gears. I am just a newbie so I am eagar to go out and experiment.

William C.
Canon 5D, 85 1.2L II, 17-40 4L, 28-70 2.8L,
70-200 2.8LIS, 100 2.8 macro USM, 1.4XII, 420EX
DynaTran Carbon Fiber and Magnesium Alloy tripods and monopod, Benro KS-1 ballhead, Lowepro Slingshot 200

TeeJay
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 23, 2006 10:09 |  #14

Fabulous selection of pics calzinger. New York is a very special place, for all the reasons we see in your photography, although haven't been there for a few years now and would love to go back.

I must admit to having to do a double-take on the one in sbarro, I couldn't believe seeing your white lens and rocket blower parked on the table right next to your soda bottle. I then found myself looking in other pics for other bits of kit! Nice work :-)

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

Sean-Mcr
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 23, 2006 19:40 |  #15

I've got to be honest and say that i'm not fan of teles for street scene', they often flatten the perspective, leaving the images looking like surveillance shots, much prefer wides and short lenses for this type of photography.

I'm sure you'd benefit from a 24 28 30 35mm prime

I don't know what good composition is.... Sometimes for me composition has to do with a certain brightness or a certain coming to restness and other times it has to do with funny mistakes. There's a kind of rightness and wrongness and sometimes I like rightness and sometimes I like wrongness. Diane Arbus

http://www.pbase.com/s​ean_mcr (external link)

sponsored links

7,254 views & 0 likes for this thread
New York City: Street Tourism **Warning: 56K**
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.