Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Sep 2011 (Friday) 18:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question: Would 240ppi be enough for a 12x12 calendar?

tigersharkdude
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 23, 2011 18:39 |  #1

Hi all, I am in charge of calendar design for national forum and have a question. Would 240ppi be enough to print a 12x12 calendar with? Also my current layout is at 2880x2880 @ 240/ppi....would you think this is adequate?

Also, here is the basic layout for each month for the calendar.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i281.photobucke​t.com …amplecalenderpi​cbw2-2.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 23, 2011 19:22 |  #2

240 ppi is enough print resolution for anything.

If this calendar is going to be mass-produced, the offset printing process will cost you alot in IQ. It won't matter if it's 240 or 60.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 23, 2011 19:25 |  #3

Few people would complain about that resolution.

I do have a question, though. Why do you tilt the camera for some of the images (particularly the last one above)? I see absolutely no compositional advantage and, when there are obvious references to real-world vertical and horizontal planes, shots like that one look really strange to me. When there are no natural references, there are times when a camera-tilted shot makes sense, of course.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 23, 2011 21:02 |  #4

SkipD wrote in post #13153206 (external link)
Few people would complain about that resolution.

I do have a question, though. Why do you tilt the camera for some of the images (particularly the last one above)? I see absolutely no compositional advantage and, when there are obvious references to real-world vertical and horizontal planes, shots like that one look really strange to me. When there are no natural references, there are times when a camera-tilted shot makes sense, of course.

those are just picture's that I had easily at my disposal, and IMHO the angle of that picture works very well. I took several at horizontal level and the picture was "blah" but with the angle of the car and the lines in the brick and wood it worlks

And thanks for the response on the 240ppi, I just wasnt sure if it was "enough". I couldnt find anything really on that subject

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 23, 2011 23:59 |  #5

When you say "240 ppi", are you referring to the "resolution" figure that Lightroom and Photoshop by default throw up in the Export and Image Size dialog boxes?

I assume that's the case because with them that's a default figure but you should realize that it means nothing unless and until you convert/resize/reasmpl​e your image to an actual print size in inches. Then, you will have a "resolution" that will eighter be something you will assign and resample to or will be a figure that reflects your "native resolution" without resampling.

Without resampling, those dialogs will show what your image "would" be in inches at 240 ppi, but it probably won't reflect a desired print size. Like I said, it's just a default, a "tag" that software has to put in there but gets ignored by most "normal" printing operations.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2011 10:16 |  #6

tonylong wrote in post #13154140 (external link)
When you say "240 ppi", are you referring to the "resolution" figure that Lightroom and Photoshop by default throw up in the Export and Image Size dialog boxes?

I assume that's the case because with them that's a default figure but you should realize that it means nothing unless and until you convert/resize/reasmpl​e your image to an actual print size in inches. Then, you will have a "resolution" that will eighter be something you will assign and resample to or will be a figure that reflects your "native resolution" without resampling.

Without resampling, those dialogs will show what your image "would" be in inches at 240 ppi, but it probably won't reflect a desired print size. Like I said, it's just a default, a "tag" that software has to put in there but gets ignored by most "normal" printing operations.

I resized the above picture to 12"x12" and the original image changed from 300ppi to 240ppi. If you know of any links I could check out for better info on the layout of the above-mentioned calendar I will gladly read them. i cant find anything about the details needed to layout a calender, so I am just trying to piece info. I can find together.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 24, 2011 10:37 |  #7

You can resize to certain print dimensions with a certain ppi setting,
or you can resize to certain pixel dimensions.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. Same result if you're good at math.

I prefer to do the math myself (control freak that I am), so 12 x 240 = 2880. I would resize to 2880 x 2880 pixels.

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2011 12:24 |  #8

I don't know about calendar layouts but 240ppi is perfectly fine for printing, so your 2880x2880 can print with no muss or fuss.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2011 16:05 |  #9

Curtis N wrote in post #13155574 (external link)
You can resize to certain print dimensions with a certain ppi setting,
or you can resize to certain pixel dimensions.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. Same result if you're good at math.

I prefer to do the math myself (control freak that I am), so 12 x 240 = 2880. I would resize to 2880 x 2880 pixels.

Thanks. Calender entry rule is, landscape style photos only and the shortest side can be no less than 2830. gave them a general rule that all photos must be at least 8mp or better. My OLD camera was a kodak P&S that was 8mp and i could print 11x14 without distortion.

Thanks for all of the help peeps!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2011 17:15 |  #10

tigersharkdude wrote in post #13156707 (external link)
Thanks. Calender entry rule is, landscape style photos only and the shortest side can be no less than 2830. gave them a general rule that all photos must be at least 8mp or better. My OLD camera was a kodak P&S that was 8mp and i could print 11x14 without distortion.

Thanks for all of the help peeps!

Hmm, would that not rule out your square photo?

Tony

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2011 18:13 |  #11

tonylong wrote in post #13156904 (external link)
Hmm, would that not rule out your square photo?

My photo started out landscape layout, it was made to fit in the 12x12 frame above. The smaller pictures were resized to fit the frame as well, the reason that all pictures need to fit the criteria is the entrant is not choosing how the pics would be arranged.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2011 18:18 |  #12

Well then, whatever "fits":)!

Tony

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 24, 2011 21:17 |  #13

tigersharkdude wrote in post #13156707 (external link)
Thanks. Calender entry rule is, landscape style photos only

Many "landscape style" photos are actually vertical (more height than width).

Do they want horizontal images or landscape images? Do they even know what they want?

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2011 21:39 |  #14

Curtis N wrote in post #13157780 (external link)
Many "landscape style" photos are actually vertical (more height than width).

Do they want horizontal images or landscape images? Do they even know what they want?

This is just for a forum I'm on, not going to be "mass produced". Probably less than 100 people will buy one, Im doing it solely for "experience". In general when the average person takes vertical/portrait shots they dont look as good as horizontal/landscape..​..hence why I told them horizontal/landscape style photo's only.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2011 21:43 |  #15

tigersharkdude wrote in post #13157866 (external link)
This is just for a forum I'm on, not going to be "mass produced". Probably less than 100 people will buy one, Im doing it solely for "experience". In general when the average person takes vertical/portrait shots they dont look as good as horizontal/landscape..​..hence why I told them horizontal/landscape style photo's only.

So you're the one making the rules/guidelines?

Tony

sponsored links

2,781 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question: Would 240ppi be enough for a 12x12 calendar?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.