Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Sep 2011 (Saturday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens or Flashgun?

mattaylor8
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2011 12:57 |  #16

Usually general things that catch my eye when I'm out and about, whether that's buildings or trees etc., but also wildlife and landscape photography.

sponsored links
marcosv
775 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 24, 2011 13:00 |  #17

Back in the day, I went with the 17-85 over the external flash. The 17-85 was going for $600 street.

These days, I'd say the order to buy gear depends on what you are trying to do. So I could see a lens upgrade or an external flash.

For me, buying the 17-85 first made the most sense because it had enough focal range to be my one lens solution. I did have an old 75-300, but, I didn't want to bother swapping lens much or having to carry more stuff. The 17-85 at the time was a huge lens to me and I had a 300D which was a lot bigger than the Rebels that came later. Back then, I was more into taking snap shots, getting used to program, shutter, aperture priorities, selecting AF and exposure metering patterns, EC shifting, and post processing. Dealing with external flash was lower on my priority list and I do believe before you effectively use flash, you better know how ambient exposure works and what you can do with high ISO and post processing.

So personally I'm not arguing in favor of buying an external flash next. You might not use flash as much given where you are in your learning curve. What I do question is whether or not an old 17-85 that was known for CA and soft corners wide open is worth spending money on. Would be fine if you got a great deal on a used 17-85, but, I wouldn't spend any where near say $400 on it given what's out there. I'd rather save another $250 or so and buy that 15-85.

Oh. And before buying another lens or flash, if you haven't done so already, invest in post processing software and learn how to use it well. You can do so much with the kit lens.

EOS-M | 40D | 5DII | 5DIII | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-55 | 10-22 | 17-55 | 17-40L | 24-70L mk II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS mk II| 35L | 85L II |35/2 | 40/2.8 pancake | 50/1.8 | 50/1.4 | 100/2 | Rokinon 14/2.8 | 90 EX | 270 EX II | 580 EXII | 600 EX-RT

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 24, 2011 13:05 as a reply to  @ marcosv's post |  #18

Usually general things that catch my eye when I'm out and about, whether that's buildings or trees etc., but also wildlife and landscape photography.

OK but how much do you have to spend?

Richard
Gear

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 24, 2011 13:06 |  #19

mattaylor8 wrote in post #13156098 (external link)

How about the 15-85 it would cost a little more but not as much as the 17-55 and has great image quality and a great range. If you shoot outside most of the time all different types of subjects and don't really care about super shallow depth of field it should be great. If later you find that your interests start to lean in another direction this lens is still a great 1 lens travel solution.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 24, 2011 13:07 |  #20

mattaylor8 wrote in post #13156098 (external link)

is there anything you wish you could do that you can't because your kit limits you(i.e. go wider, shallow DOF, longer, etc...)...or are you just trying to upgrade what you have

if i were you, i'd keep what you have and add something as opposed to replacing

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

mattaylor8
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2011 13:08 as a reply to  @ marcosv's post |  #21

Thanks marcosv and david. Any ideas on what sort of price range the 15-85 is in?

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 24, 2011 13:12 as a reply to  @ mattaylor8's post |  #22

759.00 at B&H and there are plenty of reviews if you like reading those.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …15_85mm_f_3_5_5​_6_IS.html (external link)

Not sure if this is considered spam just trying to help

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 24, 2011 13:14 |  #23

DreDaze wrote in post #13156141 (external link)
is there anything you wish you could do that you can't because your kit limits you(i.e. go wider, shallow DOF, longer, etc...)...or are you just trying to upgrade what you have

if i were you, i'd keep what you have and add something as opposed to replacing

Dre has a great point, what are you trying to fix?

mattaylor8
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2011 13:23 |  #24

Well I do sometimes wish that I could zoom a bit further than 55mm, as I have a gap here until 100mm, and having a wider zoom range means fewer lens changes that are nice. Also a dedicated focus ring is a lot better with full time manual focus, I don't take much video but that's definitely nicer. A focus window and better IQ performance too are the sort of things I would upgrade for.

marcosv
775 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 24, 2011 13:31 |  #25

mattaylor8 wrote in post #13156143 (external link)
Thanks marcosv and david. Any ideas on what sort of price range the 15-85 is in?

If you consider buying refurb in the USA, Canon USA sells a refurb 15-85 for $660 plus tax and shipping. I have had such great luck with Canon refurb quality (i.e., three month factory warranty and I could never tell the lens or body has ever been used aside from the generic box the stuff comes in).

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …uct_10051_10051​_269486_-1 (external link)

So lowest price is either whatever the lowest Amazon ($770)/BH Photovideo price or Canon USA refurb price plus tax and shipping. Craigslist can be another option if you are comfortable buying used and in your ability to access a used lens on the fly.

Also, since we're talking $500+, Sigma and Tamron offerings also enters the picture. I personally don't know enough about the current 3rd party offerings to give advice, but, those might be a way to save money.

- Marcos

EOS-M | 40D | 5DII | 5DIII | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-55 | 10-22 | 17-55 | 17-40L | 24-70L mk II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS mk II| 35L | 85L II |35/2 | 40/2.8 pancake | 50/1.8 | 50/1.4 | 100/2 | Rokinon 14/2.8 | 90 EX | 270 EX II | 580 EXII | 600 EX-RT

mattaylor8
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2011 13:35 as a reply to  @ marcosv's post |  #26

Unfortunately I'm in the UK, sorry, I should update my profile, I only joined recently, but there are a number of websites I could check to see if there are any used or refurbished ones? I don't want to spend anything over £600 (~$930) really.

mattaylor8
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2011 13:35 |  #27

For a new one, that is.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 24, 2011 13:54 |  #28

borism wrote in post #13156062 (external link)
Flash without a doubt

Yep!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sponsored links

1,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens or Flashgun?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.