Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Sep 2011 (Saturday) 19:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to lightroom, any quick tips?

da9k1ne
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 24, 2011 19:57 |  #1

I just acquired lightroom and want to really try and make my photos more stunning that they are straight off of the camera.

Do you have any quick tips/tutorials on how to do this through lightroom. I'd prefer to only use lightroom, no photoshop.

I browsed youtube for tutorials but nothing really came up that was educating to what I was looking for.

Any steps that you take or things you do would greatly help! Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,679 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 24, 2011 19:58 |  #2

da9k1ne wrote in post #13157485 (external link)
Do you have any quick tips

Yes - don't trust the histogram :)

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 24, 2011 20:13 as a reply to  @ Damo77's post |  #3

My first advice right up front is get a monitor calibration device (assuming you don't already) otherwise most of the work that you do in LR (or any other advanced photo editing tool) will be in vain.

1. Shoot in RAW
2. Make sure your computer is fast enough to handle the LR demand.
3. Optimze LR to run faster.
4. Edit photos in LR using the default ProPhoto RGB (external link) Color space.
5. Export for web sharing using sRGB
6. If you're going to print learn about ICC print profiles.
7. Read posts on this forum and take time to read the help files in LR.
8. Take all this advice with a grain of salt and experiment on your own for the results that YOU want.

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2011 20:35 |  #4

Well, my first suggestion is to get 1,2, or 3 of the good Lightroom "primers", each book authored by Lightroom experts. The names are Scott Kelby, Martin Evening and Victoria Bampton and their books are widely available, just use Amazon.com as a "one stop shop". Make sure you get the current LR3 version -- you can find "outdated versions on sale, but LR 3 has "stuf" that is good to know about. Any one of the three will get you started, both with the overall Lightroom workflow and with the tool/processing in the Develop module. Believe me, at least one of those books, along with a good familiarity with Lightroom help, both the "interactive" help that you get from the menu and with the pdf version (which gets updated) that you can get online, downlod (and have as a desktop icon) will give you loads of needed info and assistance! Check out the pdf here:

http://help.adobe.com …sing/lightroom_​3_help.pdf (external link)

And then, there are two good places for online training where for a monthly fee you can receive excellent tutorials in all things Lightroom: Lynda.com and KelbyTraining.com are staffed with great experts and many POTN members have been enriched by spendin some time and a bit of money at one of both of those sites.

And then, there are sites that feature tutorials and helpful articles you can check out. Adobe TV is one:

http://tv.adobe.com/sh​ow/learn-lightroom-3 (external link)

Scott Kelby's LightroomKillerTips is one:

http://lightroomkiller​tips.com/ (external link)

And then Victoria Bampton runs the site LightroomQueen:

http://www.lightroomqu​een.com/ (external link)

Each of those sites has plenty of good stuff!

Another approach you can take is trying some of the various presets that got installed with LR. A lot are B&W/monochrome "effects" but there are ones for color as well. And, the nifty thing is, with Lightroom the presets are all visible adjustments that you can check in the various panels -- you may need to poke around a bit to find out what was done, but it could be well worthwhile!

And then, one more suggestion:

The Canon Raw processing camera that came with your camera, Digital Photo Professional (DPP) is actually a nice quick converter because, among other things, when it opens a Raw file it applies your in-camera Picture Style settings for Contrast, Saturation and Sharpening, also for White Balance and color tone, as well as Noise Reduction and other in-camera settings.

In other words, with DPP you get a Preview that is "like a jpeg"!. And, because it is Raw, you can switch to different Picture Styles, White Balance settings, etc -- you can play around!

Now, as to why I might recommend that you who are starting out with Lightroom install and get to know DPP is simply that DPP can be a reference for you in how you can approach things with Lightroom! Each Canon Picture Style applies a certain "curve" to the Raw data and then some amount of Contrast, Saturation and Sharpening. Lightroom does have "curves" available in the Calibration panel ("profiles") that you can play with, but those curves are a bit more subtle than the Canon Picture Styles. But, if you mess a bit in DPP you can get a feel -- apply a profile of your choosing in LR, and from there you can make your own choices for Contrast/Clarity, Saturation/Vibrance, and the full range of LR tools for fine-tuning tones and colors!

Well, I hope that helps you at least a bit!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 24, 2011 20:58 |  #5

A great resource I have used extensively for training besides the Scott Kelby book are all of the tutorial videos on the SLR Lounge. www.slrlounge.com (external link)

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2011 21:18 |  #6

TTuna Eye wrote in post #13157728 (external link)
A great resource I have used extensively for training besides the Scott Kelby book are all of the tutorial videos on the SLR Lounge. www.slrlounge.com (external link)

Ah, good link there! Have you posted a link to that in the Lightroom Thread sticky here?

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 24, 2011 21:38 |  #7

I have not. Did not think I had status to do so.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 24, 2011 21:40 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #8

thanks for all the suggestions so far, i didnt even think to look at the software that came with my camera.

i'll try that out tomorrow for sure!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2011 21:53 |  #9

TTuna Eye wrote in post #13157864 (external link)
I have not. Did not think I had status to do so.

Just open the thread and post a Reply just like here -- I don't think you need a "special status" for that. Some stickies get "closed" to further replies but at this point the LR thread is not one of them.

If you do try and something goofy happens just let us know!

Tony

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 24, 2011 21:58 |  #10

Done!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2011 23:56 |  #11

Heh! I saw, so I'll repeat, good for you!

Tony

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 25, 2011 03:53 |  #12

Although LR is based on the principle that it empowers you to "do your own thing", it also has the ability to make and use "presets" that will apply somebody else's thing, as a shortcut to obtaining a particular "look" that you like. Hundreds of people have created and posted presets and the leading site for downloading them is:
http://www.presetsheav​en.com/ (external link)

Elie / אלי

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 25, 2011 07:21 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #13

thanks for all the presets, these look like they will work great!

Garry ­ Gibson
Goldmember
1,608 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 25, 2011 07:28 |  #14

Here is another link. Laura Shoe. She has good free tips as well.

http://laurashoe.com/ (external link)

5D SR- 7D Mark II
Some assorted glass
Learning everyday... well.. maybe every other day.

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 25, 2011 07:39 |  #15

thanks, i'll check that site out too.

any more sites with good presets to start and learn from. the one site posted by tzalman is a great start!

sponsored links

1,586 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to lightroom, any quick tips?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.