Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Sep 2011 (Friday) 18:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question: Would 240ppi be enough for a 12x12 calendar?

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 25, 2011 12:24 |  #16

tonylong wrote in post #13157890 (external link)
So you're the one making the rules/guidelines?

yeah. Collaborating with the guy in charge of it. Here is the list I have so far, if you think of anything I should add or change let me know. Please keep in mind that these guys dont know a lot about photography.

2012 A32 Maxima/I30 Maxima.org Calendar

Rules and Regulations

• A32 chassis car’s ONLY, any submission’s of other chassis’ will be disregarded.

• NO cell phone picture’s, absolutely none. We don’t care if your phone is 8mp, phone pictures are normally of very low quality and noisy.

• Pictures must be at least 8mp (pixel by pixel minimum of 2830x2830;IE, no side can be less than 2830 pixels. If you do not know how to find this information; locate the picture on your computer [my pictures folder, etc, etc], right click the picture and click Properties, once in properties click the Details tab, once inside Details scroll down to image and here you will find the dimensions in pixel size, again we need no side smaller than 2830 pixels).

• All entries will need at least 6 photo’s meeting the above guidelines.

• NO people, cars only.

• Original, unedited pics (straight from the camera).

• If possible, use a tripod for sharpness.
  • “Landscape”/horizontal style photo’s only, no “portrait”/vertical style photos.

• All picture’s should be taken by you unless you have the photographers permission to use said photo’s.

• All photo’s will need to be sent to EMAIL

• Obviously, all vehicles submitted cannot be used in this single calendar. A panel comprised of un-biased staff members will make the final selections. Consideration will be given to multiple factors. Please be aware that the images selected will be enlarged to achieve calendar size and any “grainy” appearance would be magnified. Only the sharpest and clearest images can be used.

• All 4th gens are welcome, stock or modified. (please note that entries with visible damage will not be considered. Don’t take this to the extreme, minor rock chips or other minor imperfections are okay, we’re talking about dented fenders, etc.).

• All entries must be of your current car.

• Limit of one car per photo, unless it is a group photo (IE, Houston maxima’s, SoCal maxima’s, etc). Also note, no cars other than A32’s allowed in those photo’s.

• All entries must be submitted by midnight CST on November 16, 2011

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 25, 2011 14:28 |  #17

Hmm, well, the only thing that pops out to me is that when you are describing an 8MP image you then describe a square image so each side fits your "minimum" of 2830 pixels.

But, if I have an 8MP image shot with the "native" resolution of my 8MP 30D, the dimensions are 3504x2336 -- in other words, the Height would be under the minimum. In fact, my 10MP 1D Mk III has a native resolution of 2592x3888, again with the Height being below the minimum. In fact, my 12MP 5D barely makes it with dimensions of 2912x4368.

And then, the question would be are those dimensions going to "fit", or is it possible that you will want to constrain the aspect ratio to something less wide than your DSLR would produce. In fact, most cameras out there aren't DSLRs and so will often be a 4:3 aspect ratio, which for a calendar may be a more suitable presentation, so that a Point and Shoot shot could be used "right out of the camera" but a DSLR shot would need to be cropped to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Or, that nice 12MP 2912x4368 5D shot might not look so good!

I don't know, I've never done calendar designs, those were just my shots. You could specify and aspect ratio along with minimum width/height dimensions...?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 25, 2011 15:49 |  #18

tigersharkdude wrote in post #13160324 (external link)
Pictures must be at least 8mp (pixel by pixel minimum of 2830x2830;IE, no side can be less than 2830 pixels.

I, too, think this is needing some thinking and modification. There has to be a much better (and simpler) way to get what you're looking for. Don't even use the "megapixel" concept. Simply spell out the size prints you are using and what the resolution (PPI) has to be.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 25, 2011 15:58 |  #19

SkipD wrote in post #13161044 (external link)
I, too, think this is needing some thinking and modification. There has to be a much better (and simpler) way to get what you're looking for. Don't even use the "megapixel" concept. Simply spell out the size prints you are using and what the resolution (PPI) has to be.

That would definitely be a good alternative to my idea -- print size in inches and a ppi spec could make it easy for everyone! Of course, if your print size is rectangular/landscape and someone has a square crop like you posted, well, that would be like putting a square peg into a rectangular hole:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 25, 2011 17:36 |  #20

The best thing you could do to improve those rules is to get rid of the gratuitous apostrophes. It boggles my mind why people make the extra effort to add apostrophes where they don't belong.
So much for the grammar lecture.

As long as it's a competitive situation, you really don't need a lot of rules about the kind of camera or the resolution. If someone submits crap, it won't get selected.

All that "straight from the camera" stuff is basically impossible to verify, and impossible to qualify for someone who shoots RAW, so I wouldn't bother with such a rule.

The horizontal vs. vertical thing is pointless if all the images will get cropped to square anyway.

The "must be taken by you" part is most important and should be rule #1.

Good luck!

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 25, 2011 19:53 |  #21

tonylong wrote in post #13160742 (external link)
Hmm, well, the only thing that pops out to me is that when you are describing an 8MP image you then describe a square image so each side fits your "minimum" of 2830 pixels.

But, if I have an 8MP image shot with the "native" resolution of my 8MP 30D, the dimensions are 3504x2336 -- in other words, the Height would be under the minimum. In fact, my 10MP 1D Mk III has a native resolution of 2592x3888, again with the Height being below the minimum. In fact, my 12MP 5D barely makes it with dimensions of 2912x4368.

And then, the question would be are those dimensions going to "fit", or is it possible that you will want to constrain the aspect ratio to something less wide than your DSLR would produce. In fact, most cameras out there aren't DSLRs and so will often be a 4:3 aspect ratio, which for a calendar may be a more suitable presentation, so that a Point and Shoot shot could be used "right out of the camera" but a DSLR shot would need to be cropped to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Or, that nice 12MP 2912x4368 5D shot might not look so good!

I don't know, I've never done calendar designs, those were just my shots. You could specify and aspect ratio along with minimum width/height dimensions...?

I fixed that, for some reason I was thinking 8mp was 2830x.....

SkipD wrote in post #13161044 (external link)

You have to remember I'm not working with people that know much about camera's in general. So, there has to be some rule for them to go by

tonylong wrote in post #13161073 (external link)
That would definitely be a good alternative to my idea -- print size in inches and a ppi spec could make it easy for everyone! Of course, if your print size is rectangular/landscape and someone has a square crop like you posted, well, that would be like putting a square peg into a rectangular hole:)!

Curtis N wrote in post #13161396 (external link)
The best thing you could do to improve those rules is to get rid of the gratuitous apostrophes. It boggles my mind why people make the extra effort to add apostrophes where they don't belong.
So much for the grammar lecture.

As long as it's a competitive situation, you really don't need a lot of rules about the kind of camera or the resolution. If someone submits crap, it won't get selected.

All that "straight from the camera" stuff is basically impossible to verify, and impossible to qualify for someone who shoots RAW, so I wouldn't bother with such a rule.

The horizontal vs. vertical thing is pointless if all the images will get cropped to square anyway.

The "must be taken by you" part is most important and should be rule #1.

Good luck!

The reason I told them straight from the camera is I don't want something that has been uploaded to photobucket and thus the quality has been degraded horribly. Also, dont want some extremely, tightly cropped pics that I can't work with

Also thinks for the help peeps!

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 25, 2011 20:26 |  #22

tigersharkdude wrote in post #13161915 (external link)
I fixed that, for some reason I was thinking 8mp was 2830x.....

My 20D has an 8 megapixel sensor and the pixel count is 3504 by 2336.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

2,778 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question: Would 240ppi be enough for a 12x12 calendar?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.