Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2011 09:32 |  #4546

CiM_Photography wrote in post #13164770 (external link)
Class of 0000 - LOVE IT. LOL. Hmm, portrait with a Camel. Not sure anyone else here has shot that one yet!

The damn thing wouldnt stand still. Everytime I move the flash, he moved his head...

sponsored links
matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 26, 2011 10:01 |  #4547

gonzogolf wrote in post #13164755 (external link)
I have new respect for those of you who shoot senior shots with horses and pets. My niece wanted those plus another. Think of this a senior photo from the class of 0000 (she is in the cast of a passion play and wanted some taken in costume) Pretty much straight out of the camera.

Welcome to my world:lol::rolleyes:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2011 10:20 |  #4548

matonanjin wrote in post #13164899 (external link)
Welcome to my world:lol::rolleyes:

I feel your pain

IMAGE: http://kevin-jones.smugmug.com/Other/My-Family/i-X68Skhw/0/L/IMG1866-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://kevin-jones.smugmug.com/Other/My-Family/i-qHtPCGQ/0/L/IMG1877-L.jpg

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 26, 2011 10:34 |  #4549

gonzogolf wrote in post #13164776 (external link)
The damn thing wouldnt stand still. Everytime I move the flash, he moved his head...

Would have been awesome if the darn camel would have licked her on her cheek:lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 26, 2011 10:46 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #4550

OK

Here is the trick for horses and pets in general.

You still have to pose the client right, so always try to get them at a 45 with the camera axis...never pose them straight on, point your OCF on thier face and nose area--short lighting if possible.

Treat the pet as a prop. Get your client posed and tell them to look at the camera and that you will get the pets attention. next the fun begins.

Kiss sound, click sound, anything to get the dam pet to look at you. Something that will make the pet look curious. Best methods.

TREATS. especially for horses. Bring carrots. They love the darn things. Their ears perk right up and you now have the pets attention...click away....works every time:cool:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …nbaby12/IMG_323​7-Edit.jpg (external link)

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2011 10:51 |  #4551

umphotography wrote in post #13165052 (external link)
Would have been awesome if the darn camel would have licked her on her cheek:lol:

From what I understand he is a nipper. She was reluctant to get any closer to him.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 26, 2011 11:01 |  #4552

gonzogolf wrote in post #13165154 (external link)
From what I understand he is a nipper. She was reluctant to get any closer to him.

I hear those camels spit as well:eek:

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 26, 2011 11:53 |  #4553

umphotography wrote in post #13165201 (external link)
I hear those camels spit as well:eek:

Not that would have been a shot!!!

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 26, 2011 13:08 |  #4554

umphotography wrote in post #13165114 (external link)
OK

Here is the trick for horses and pets in general.

You still have to pose the client right, so always try to get them at a 45 with the camera axis...never pose them straight on, point your OCF on thier face and nose area--short lighting if possible.

Treat the pet as a prop. Get your client posed and tell them to look at the camera and that you will get the pets attention. next the fun begins.

Kiss sound, click sound, anything to get the dam pet to look at you. Something that will make the pet look curious. Best methods.

TREATS. especially for horses. Bring carrots. They love the darn things. Their ears perk right up and you now have the pets attention...click away....works every time:cool:

But you always want to have both ears forward. One thing that works most of the time is a garbage sack full of soda cans. As you say, get the client posed. Then have your assistant shake the cans. The noise will get the horses ears up. When the horse moves both ears forward, fire!

Another thing that works is a metal tape measure. Reel it out just out of the picture and when your subject is ready have your assistant shake the tape measure on the ground.

Another: a broom. Have your assistant tap the broom on the ground in front of horse.

I've rarely had luck with treats. Except one other thing that will occasionally work is a can of grain. Most horses recognize that sound from getting fed. Often just shaking a coffee can with some grain in it will work.

The main thing is that you need to know the horse. With some very little spooking will get the horse alert. Too much will have the horse on top of your client!:(:rolleyes: This is particularly true of "Hot bloods", thoroughbreds, etc.

Others, particularly "cold bloods", quarter horses, etc, will require a lot to get ears up.

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2011 13:24 |  #4555

matonanjin wrote in post #13165708 (external link)
But you always want to have both ears forward. One thing that works most of the time is a garbage sack full of soda cans. As you say, get the client posed. Then have your assistant shake the cans. The noise will get the horses ears up. When the horse moves both ears forward, fire!

Another thing that works is a metal tape measure. Reel it out just out of the picture and when your subject is ready have your assistant shake the tape measure on the ground.

Another: a broom. Have your assistant tap the broom on the ground in front of horse.

I've rarely had luck with treats. Except one other thing that will occasionally work is a can of grain. Most horses recognize that sound from getting fed. Often just shaking a coffee can with some grain in it will work.

The main thing is that you need to know the horse. With some very little spooking will get the horse alert. Too much will have the horse on top of your client!:(:rolleyes: This is particularly true of "Hot bloods", thoroughbreds, etc.

Others, particularly "cold bloods", quarter horses, etc, will require a lot to get ears up.

The horse in my recent shot was really resistant to having both ears forward. Unfortunately the best shots I got of the subject and the posed horse, he was flicking his ears around so I didnt end up with too many usable shots.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 26, 2011 13:59 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #4556

Horses can be a real PIA. Plus you have to be very careful. I always ask and warn about my flash. Dont want to spook a horse and have it injure a client and then have a parent sue me. Use your head with horses. Gonz, i feel your pain in those situations. Happened to me a few times.:o

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

kermit4u
833 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 26, 2011 14:31 |  #4557

umphotography wrote in post #13165052 (external link)

sort of like this

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

camelkisszack (external link) by jowen_tk (external link), on Flickr"]
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
 (external link)
camelkisszack (external link) by jowen_tk, on Flickr (external link)

]6Dmkii.gripped|7Dmkii gripped|5DC gripped|7Dmkii gripped|Canonet QL17 Giii|too many yet not enough lenses https://www.jeffowenph​otography.com/ (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/jeffowenphotograph​y/ (external link)

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 26, 2011 14:38 |  #4558

umphotography wrote in post #13162796 (external link)
Does this do anything for anybody ?

Battery on my vagabond died at the end of the session but i saw the light coming through the trees and it kind of lit her up like a snoot would. Sometimes i like it,,other times,,not so sure ??

Sigma 85
F/2.0
1/800
All mother nature for the light

QUOTED IMAGE

I like it.

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 26, 2011 14:51 as a reply to  @ jb_browneyes's post |  #4559

^^^^^^ I really like it!

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

Redfire_Cobra
872 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 26, 2011 19:11 |  #4560

Horses can definitely be difficult, it took forever to get this guys attention and then she was a little scared of him...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

_MG_0259 (external link) by Redfire_Cobra (external link), on Flickr

Canon 60D
Canon 50 f/1.8, Canon 70-200L f/2.8,
-Chris

sponsored links

2,732,665 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.