Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 26 Sep 2011 (Monday) 13:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Memory Card

JR189
28 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 26, 2011 13:46 |  #1

Hi Guys,

For a wedding do you think 32G is good enough?

JR 189:cool:

sponsored links
MadlyAlive
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 26, 2011 13:51 |  #2

Depending on your camera, that should give you about 1200 RAW shots.

I don't shoot weddings, but I'm sure someone will chime in and recommend you split that up into multiple cards in case of card error or failure.

5D Mark III Gripped ~ 7D Gripped ~ EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ~ EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM ~ EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ 550EX ~ 600EX-RT

JR189
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 26, 2011 13:55 |  #3

i have a 7D: 24-105L and 50mm 1.4 and shooting jpeg... not really good at processing RAW yet

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 26, 2011 14:14 |  #4

If you are shooting JPEG, then sure, that's enough.
Even if you are shooting in RAW, 32GB would get you > 1000 shots.

JR189
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 26, 2011 14:18 |  #5

Great thanks guys

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 26, 2011 14:48 |  #6

Check my post on this thread.

32GB is many eggs in one basket, make sure you have a really good quality memory card, and test it with good testing software - i've posted a link to some a dozen times or more on various threads. I recommend cards I consider good over there.

I'd be nervous with only one 32G card. Mostly because I use three cameras, but also because I like redundancies and spares. What if you get a "card not writable" error message?

Professionals have backups of everything.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 26, 2011 15:03 |  #7

I use a 5D for wedding work and shoot all RAW. Typically I will shoot 500 - 750 images per wedding and I use about three 4GB cards. Each card allows me about 300 of those 12.8mb images. I do carry spare cards. Your 32GB sounds like a lot, but then I don't know your circumstances or gear.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

SarakByrne
239 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 26, 2011 15:11 |  #8

JR189 wrote in post #13165947 (external link)
i have a 7D: 24-105L and 50mm 1.4 and shooting jpeg... not really good at processing RAW yet

You'll need to fix this first, most weddings have varied lighting situations all day.. your WB might be changing from room to room.. or even in certain sections of the room. You'll be doing some natural light and then might need to use flash.. you're shooting a bride in a white dress and trying to keep detail in the groom's suit/tux. You might have an outdoor ceremony.. with shade and direct sunlight .. etc.

RAW is pretty much mandatory for any paid photographer.. especially wedding photographers.

Back to your question:
I have a 32gb card.. and a bunch of 8gb cards.. I've shot an entire wedding on the 32, but didn't feel safe about it.. If the card corrupts.. eek. I try to shoot 8gb cards and buy nice/fast cards.

Facebook (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 26, 2011 15:13 |  #9

JR189 wrote in post #13165947 (external link)
and shooting jpeg... not really good at processing RAW yet

are you a second shooter or just shooting a wedding as a guest or something? because that would greatly influence my advice :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

butugly
621 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 26, 2011 15:20 |  #10

As Tim said dont put all your faith in one big card,much better of with 4 or 8 gb cards and several of each.
And set up to shoot raw and jpeg that way you can see if you can do a better conversion than the camera.
Always good to learn some of the manual settings on your camera that way you have more control of the end result.

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 26, 2011 15:20 |  #11

I use 32gb CF and 16GB SD - All writing in RAW.

The nice thing with the 1D series are the dual card slots. I couldn't have it any other way. Not with weddings. I see so many people use 5D2's these days and just one card slot is playing a dangerous game tbh.

Chris Giles Photography

SarakByrne
239 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 26, 2011 15:23 |  #12

I wouldn't say its "dangerous", but it would be a nice feature on the 5diii.

Almost all of the top canon wedding photographers are on the 5dii, can't remember the last time I heard of an issue.

Facebook (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 26, 2011 15:24 |  #13

Gel wrote in post #13166337 (external link)
...... I see so many people use 5D2's these days and just one card slot is playing a dangerous game tbh.

I can appreciate the "belt and suspenders" insurance, but why would you say this? Stick to name brands and you should do fine. As others have said, I'd spread things across a couple of cards.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 26, 2011 15:52 |  #14

On my 16GB, I get about 750 shots using my Nikon D7000, uncompressed 14-bit RAW files. I've got 3 cards ready for use for an upcoming first wedding. I might need to get 1 more just to be safe in case I get shutter happy in fear of not getting all the shots required.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 26, 2011 15:54 |  #15

Gel wrote in post #13166337 (external link)
I use 32gb CF and 16GB SD - All writing in RAW.

The nice thing with the 1D series are the dual card slots. I couldn't have it any other way. Not with weddings. I see so many people use 5D2's these days and just one card slot is playing a dangerous game tbh.

I think you guys go overboard with memory card thing. It's rare they fail (using well known name brands) and if it should act up, then pop in another one quickly. You should have an army of memory cards to begin with.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links

7,897 views & 0 likes for this thread
Memory Card
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.