Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Sep 2011 (Monday) 16:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

time to put the film away? let's talk dslr

training
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 26, 2011 16:53 as a reply to  @ post 13166743 |  #16

Thanks for all of the replies. Your responses are incredibly helpful.

My hands are on the larger size (yes, that means i wear bigger gloves), so if rebels are smaller and the controls aren't as convenient, i'll opt for a XXD model.

I'm not interested in video. I suppose I'll take a hard look at the XXD models, find out what feels the best and what is the most reasonable body + lens package.

sponsored links
5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 26, 2011 16:55 |  #17

Here's a completely off the wall thought: Get a Sony NEX-5N - it's mirrorless, has a great sensor and accepts almost any lens ever made by any manufacturer AND it has a great manual focus support if you need that. Buy the accessory viewfinder for the NEX-5N and you are set to go. The NEx-5N with the kid zoom (18-55 I think) costs $700 - the adapters for the various 3rd party lenses are $20-30 each.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2011 17:00 |  #18

training wrote in post #13166713 (external link)
i forget the exact year, but it is old. definitely pre-autofocus. and yes, i'm hoping a dslr would inspire me to find the time to get out more and shoot.

The instant or nearly instant feedback you get from a DSLR is a great motivator.

training
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 26, 2011 17:05 |  #19

5Dmaniac wrote in post #13166789 (external link)
Here's a completely off the wall thought: Get a Sony NEX-5N - it's mirrorless, has a great sensor and accepts almost any lens ever made by any manufacturer AND it has a great manual focus support if you need that. Buy the accessory viewfinder for the NEX-5N and you are set to go. The NEx-5N with the kid zoom (18-55 I think) costs $700 - the adapters for the various 3rd party lenses are $20-30 each.

Thanks, I appreciate off-the-wall thoughts, because often they are options I didn't know existed and wouldn't have considered. It sounds like an interesting idea, I look into it.

gonzogolf wrote in post #13166811 (external link)
The instant or nearly instant feedback you get from a DSLR is a great motivator.

Shooting with film is like fishing, only less exciting. I sit there, open a shutter. Wait a couple days and see if I got anything.

training
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 27, 2011 14:52 |  #20

ben_r_ wrote in post #13166679 (external link)
What might help us help you a bit more is telling us how much youre willing to spend and what youre looking to have functionally (ie lenses, flashes, etc).

hey ben, i didn't respond to your question yesterday because i wasn't quite sure. i want to spend as little as possible while not sacrificing anything i need. (helpful, right?) basically, if i can get a used camera for $400-800, great. if i need to spend more, that's fine. based on what i've seen from amazon, i think my ceiling would be around $1200 (prefering to spend less).

i do need at least one lens for now. i do not need a flash. i do not need to record video. i do not need a tripod. i am not convinced i need full frame as a hobbyist (though you might be able to convince me, in which case my ceiling would likely have to be raised...). i do need a plunger for long exposures (is it all remote now?).

i think i am leaning toward the 40D. it doesn't seem to far behind the 50 and a big enough upgrade from the 20...

i know y'all respond fast. i'll be gone for some hours..

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 27, 2011 14:59 |  #21

Have you checked the for sale section here? You could get some great deals on bodies that people are upgrading from.

There's also *ahem* Canon Loyalty Program.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 27, 2011 15:03 |  #22

If you have Minolta gear (lenses) could you use those on Sony alpha dslr's? Sony bought Minolta; share a common lens mount.

One advantage of the Sony cameras is that the image stabilization is built in to the camera body. Another is that they have some Zeiss lenses that have incredible quality.

I've used Sony every once in a while, but don't have a Sony dslr. If I was starting fresh, I would consider this line of cameras. I do have a NEX5 and I'm fascinated with the low light capability of this little camera.

Quite a few reviews at luminous landscape.
Here's one...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com …as/sony-a55-preview.shtml (external link)

Best,
DaveL

Dave

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 27, 2011 15:30 |  #23

Dave makes a good point; being able to keep using the glass you have would be a pretty big bonus...

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 27, 2011 15:33 |  #24

training wrote in post #13172159 (external link)
hey ben, i didn't respond to your question yesterday because i wasn't quite sure. i want to spend as little as possible while not sacrificing anything i need. (helpful, right?) basically, if i can get a used camera for $400-800, great. if i need to spend more, that's fine. based on what i've seen from amazon, i think my ceiling would be around $1200 (prefering to spend less).

i do need at least one lens for now. i do not need a flash. i do not need to record video. i do not need a tripod. i am not convinced i need full frame as a hobbyist (though you might be able to convince me, in which case my ceiling would likely have to be raised...). i do need a plunger for long exposures (is it all remote now?).

i think i am leaning toward the 40D. it doesn't seem to far behind the 50 and a big enough upgrade from the 20...

i know y'all respond fast. i'll be gone for some hours..

The 40D is in the sweet spot value wise. Lots of features for the least money. It was a significant upgrade over the 30D, but as you mention not that much behind the 50D. It would be a good choice.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 27, 2011 15:50 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #25

My first SLR was a Minolta SRT 102 with a fast 50. Good old match needle. Now there was something you could trust!!! ;)

Most film shooters had to do the best they could in the field and then throw the film over the fence to a lab and hope that in a few days they would have something decent. The very good news with DSLR is that now you are not only the photographer...you are also the lab techie who post processes the image to create a great screen image or wonderful print. Some see that as a burden; personally, I find it very gratifing to totally responsible for my own images.

There are many good digital photography books. Try the 3 volume set by Scott Kelby. They are funny and informative. Also join local clubs. You will find a significant portion of the membership got the hands dirty with film first.

Welcome to DSLR world where it is all just 1s and 0s. ;)

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 27, 2011 16:15 |  #26

2mnycars wrote in post #13172227 (external link)
If you have Minolta gear (lenses) could you use those on Sony alpha dslr's? Sony bought Minolta; share a common lens mount.

It's been a long time since I handled a Minolta, so I may be wrong here.
The Sony Alpha line, shares the Minolta A-mount, and as far as I recall, that didn't come along until the Minolta AF.
So if (as I understand) the OP has a pre-AF Minolta, the lens mount is not compatible with the Sony Alpha line.

I'm with a lot of the others in this thread. If you decide to go with Canon, some of the older xxD models are a great place to start. Or even something as old as the 1Dc. Fantastic camera, that in many ways feels more like film than most other DSLR's.
Even with a handful of much more recent bodies at my disposal, it's still my absolute favorite.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 27, 2011 17:22 |  #27

You'll definitely need a lens or, more likely lenses.

Here's an idea: a 40D as a "starter", and there are two good "kit" lenses that give you a nice range of focal lengths: the EF-S 18-55 IS, and the EF-S 55-250 IS. Both have quite good reps, and if you check the prices, well, they really are great values for the money!

Just so you know, a xxD body has a sensor that is smaller than your 35mm film, and so your "field of view" is "cropped", meaning that the 18mm on the above lens will have the same "look" as a 28mm lens would give on a 35mm film body.

Also, a great "starter" lens is the EF 50mm f/1.8 lens -- typically less than $100, and it produces some very sharp images, especially "stopped down" to about f/2.8 -- excellent value!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

training
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 27, 2011 17:29 |  #28

Paolo.Leviste wrote in post #13172200 (external link)
Have you checked the for sale section here? You could get some great deals on bodies that people are upgrading from.

There's also *ahem* Canon Loyalty Program.

good idea. i'll check out this forum's sale section. i don't know what the canon loyalty program is, so i'll check that out.

quiksquirrel wrote in post #13172607 (external link)
It's been a long time since I handled a Minolta, so I may be wrong here.
The Sony Alpha line, shares the Minolta A-mount, and as far as I recall, that didn't come along until the Minolta AF.
So if (as I understand) the OP has a pre-AF Minolta, the lens mount is not compatible with the Sony Alpha line.

i think you are correct in that my lenses might be too old. i went to the local store yesterday and the associate used a Sony a850. he mentioned that it could take the old minolta autofocus lenses.

training
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 10, 2013 13:44 as a reply to  @ training's post |  #29

OK--Things at home put this project in slow motion. I'm back at the table, but with less money to drop than I had hoped. Here's what I'm considering:

used 5d body with 50mm 1.8
used 40d body with 50mm 1.4

These combinations can be had for under $600.

I realize the difference in sensor sizes and how it will affect the actual focal range of the 50mm. I want something that I can simply play with around the house that will make for an easy transition from film to dslr. Of these combinations, which gives me the best bang for the buck? And, how much of a drop off would I see in raw image quality if I paired the cheaper of both options (40d with 50mm 1.8)?

Thanks!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 10, 2013 13:46 |  #30

I had a 40D, and I later bought a 5D. I dont use the 40D now except for things where the crop body and the higher frame rate makes a difference. Otherwise it gathers dust.

sponsored links

4,185 views & 0 likes for this thread
time to put the film away? let's talk dslr
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.