Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 19:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Manual lens Canon FL 55mm f1.2

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 25, 2011 19:06 |  #1

After reading the write up on canonrumors about the Edmika adapter for the old Canon FL 55mm f1.2 I just had to try it. I was hoping to create a fun little lens but I was not expecting glass of this caliber. Here are some samples while I was learning how to Manual focus:

My model getting bored while I fumble with the manual focus:

IMAGE: http://dadgummit.smugmug.com/Stuff/FL-55mm/i-jVbdtrj/0/XL/IMG1046-XL.jpg

Kitty was much easier:
IMAGE: http://dadgummit.smugmug.com/Stuff/FL-55mm/i-tMJ49Zf/0/XL/IMG1219-XL.jpg

Razor thin DOF:
IMAGE: http://dadgummit.smugmug.com/Stuff/FL-55mm/i-5thnrXW/0/XL/IMG1186-XL.jpg

Here are some shots from the park this morning:

IMAGE: http://dadgummit.smugmug.com/Stuff/FL-55mm/i-bg25HNG/0/XL/IMG1972a-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://dadgummit.smugmug.com/Stuff/FL-55mm/i-ptSx5wP/0/XL/IMG2143-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://dadgummit.smugmug.com/Stuff/FL-55mm/i-947VXbr/0/XL/IMG2362a-XL.jpg

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

sponsored links
dadgummit
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 25, 2011 19:09 |  #2

These look much sharper on my computer. I guess some IQ is getting lost in the re-sizing.

Here are some more:

IMAGE: http://dadgummit.smugmug.com/Stuff/FL-55mm/i-9ZrMQwX/0/XL/IMG2468-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://dadgummit.smugmug.com/Stuff/FL-55mm/i-bSgMHpX/0/XL/IMG2347-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://dadgummit.smugmug.com/Stuff/FL-55mm/i-3ffQB8g/0/XL/IMG2202-XL.jpg

I am really liking this lens so much I just ordered an old Contax Zeiss 28mm lens.

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,913 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 25, 2011 21:06 |  #3

You should apply a little bit of sharpening after downsampling the images.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 25, 2011 21:16 |  #4

So did you get a manual focus screen for your camera, or are you using the focus confirmation? Looks plenty sharp BTW.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

I ­ weston ­ I
334 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 25, 2011 21:41 |  #5

Very nice! I've had my eye on a 50mm 1.2 MF Nikkor lately, just might have to pull the trigger.

Nikon D7000, Nikon D3100 18-105mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR

dadgummit
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 25, 2011 23:40 |  #6

Scatterbrained wrote in post #13162265 (external link)
So did you get a manual focus screen for your camera, or are you using the focus confirmation? Looks plenty sharp BTW.

I was thinking of getting a screen but most of my shooting is with zoom lenses and I do not want to give up light in the viewfinder so I probably won't. The lens adapter does have an AF chip but it is not the best. there is a pretty big range in the focus throw that it will beep so you still have to use your judgement though it does get you close. I have only been at this for a couple of days and I already am getting used to focusing and often do not wait for the beep before I shoot.

IMAGE: http://dadgummit.smugmug.com/Stuff/FL-55mm/i-TZwNQTR/0/XL/IMG2822a-XL.jpg

My Humble Gear List

Pink ­ Avocado
77 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 26, 2011 00:16 as a reply to  @ dadgummit's post |  #7

With that lens, you should consider picking up a well loved 1D2 and putting in a focusing screen. :)

Only shoot wide open.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 26, 2011 01:08 |  #8

dadgummit wrote in post #13162900 (external link)
I was thinking of getting a screen but most of my shooting is with zoom lenses and I do not want to give up light in the viewfinder so I probably won't. The lens adapter does have an AF chip but it is not the best. there is a pretty big range in the focus throw that it will beep so you still have to use your judgement though it does get you close. I have only been at this for a couple of days and I already am getting used to focusing and often do not wait for the beep before I shoot.

I don't know anything about the 7d but if it is anything like the 5dII the focus screen swap is quick and relatively painless. I put an Eg-S screen in mine and it made all the difference. I've even contemplating stepping up to a true split prism that I can throw in when I want to shoot with my fast primes.
I agree about the EdMika adapter, I have one on an FD 600 and the focus confirmation is worthless. At first I thought maybe it was because there was some play in the mount but I have found out that it is just not that reliable; however, the adapter would be worth it even without the chip. :D
Congrats on the lens btw:cool:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Pink ­ Avocado
77 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 26, 2011 01:23 |  #9

Scatterbrained wrote in post #13163338 (external link)
I don't know anything about the 7d but if it is anything like the 5dII the focus screen swap is quick and relatively painless. I put an Eg-S screen in mine and it made all the difference. I've even contemplating stepping up to a true split prism that I can throw in when I want to shoot with my fast primes.
I agree about the EdMika adapter, I have one on an FD 600 and the focus confirmation is worthless. At first I thought maybe it was because there was some play in the mount but I have found out that it is just not that reliable; however, the adapter would be worth it even without the chip. :D
Congrats on the lens btw:cool:

Its NOT the same at all. The screen in the 7D is NOT intended for customer modification. It's possible but definitely not intended; also we note there are no official canon screens avaliable.

Which is sad/unfortunate because this camera is HUGELY popular.

I didn't say it before but beautiful colors and background blur in the pics that are up!!!!

Only shoot wide open.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 26, 2011 02:58 |  #10

Pink Avocado wrote in post #13163375 (external link)
Its NOT the same at all. The screen in the 7D is NOT intended for customer modification. It's possible but definitely not intended; also we note there are no official canon screens avaliable.

Which is sad/unfortunate because this camera is HUGELY popular.

I didn't say it before but beautiful colors and background blur in the pics that are up!!!!

7D wouldn't have the active matrix screen that adapts itself, if it had interchangeable screens.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Waleriy
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 26, 2011 04:48 |  #11

QUOTED IMAGE

:cool: Good lens...
Its modifications:
http://www.mir.com.my …sources/fdlense​s/50mm.htm (external link)

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 26, 2011 17:00 |  #12

Hi Everybody, Ed Mika here. I mainly put the AF-confirm chip in to allow the camera to expose properly and to allow the use of modern Canon extenders because without it the camera will register a fault because it will detect the extender electronics but not the lens. This is obviously more useful with the adapter intended for the super telephoto lenses.

Without the chip one would basically have to shoot in manual mode so I think its still worth it. Its also nice that your EXIF data has a focal length being reported so its easy to tell years later what lens you used (as if the amazing bokeh and flare signatures weren't enough to do so).

I'd be interested to hear if people would rather there not be any chip, its a lot of cost for the part and my labour properly attaching it and programming each one.

Beautiful pictures Dadgummit, the lens may be part of the equation but you have a really good eye.

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 26, 2011 19:16 |  #13

I was watching two of these on Ebay a couple weeks back, one went for a ridiculously cheap BIN price whilst I slept on the decision (I still don't know why I didn't just get it, I've made worse impulse buys), and the other went for far too much.

It looks really sharp, but I'm not too keen on the bokeh. It's not terrible, my 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens is "worse" and I like it but it did only cost £30 and for £200+ I'd expect something a bit smoother like I get with my Pentax 50mm f/1.2. That brass mount is gorgeous though, nice work Ed.

Gear List

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 26, 2011 19:44 |  #14

The stock 7d screen makes the camera a poor choice for manual focus work. The screen will not show you an accurate representation of depth of field. It will appear as if the depth of field is quite a bit greater than it really is when you are focusing/shooting a lens that fast. So in other words, it may look like your subject is in focus through the viewfinder, but when you take the shot you may discover that the focus was off.

Using (magnified) live view whenever possible will get you the best results.

dadgummit
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 26, 2011 21:01 |  #15

one of the cheapest ways to get a 55mm f1.2 is to find it with a camera . They came on the Canon FT QL series of cameras. I think it was the top kit lens since most of the FT QL's came with either a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8. I picked up a like new FT QL with a near mint 55mm f1.2 plus a 28mm f3.5 and a 50mm macro with extension all for less than most of the 55mm f1.2's go for by them selves.

My Humble Gear List

sponsored links

18,810 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Manual lens Canon FL 55mm f1.2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.