Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Sep 2011 (Monday) 07:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

client issue - who gets the footage?

NivoMedia
258 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 26, 2011 07:11 |  #1

Ok so over the last year I have been working for a music producer and one of his artists, I have about a years worth of footage (shows, backstage, studio recording etc. all in video)

I shot this documentary style, live show coverage and interview style. So far the producer has been paying me for the videos, I still have some here and I have delivered some to the producer.

Recently I found out that the pair no longer works together - and they both want the footage. I have learned that the payment for the video has been split between the two of them.

There is still a small amount of money that they owe me to deliver the rest of the footage and to film a small segment in the recording studio.

My question for advice would be: who gets the footage, as the both own it - do I deliver the video to the person whos likeness and voice is seen/heard in the video or do I deliver it to the guy who has been paying me for the video?

I use a {3+2}D Mark [10-8] and a (23-16)D and a Nikon D(75+75)x2s and a Nikon D(38+2)x

sponsored links
va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 26, 2011 07:17 |  #2

Who is your contract with?

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2011 07:31 |  #3

Stay focused and professional and deliver the materials to your Client-the person who hired and pays you. It's the Client's problem to distribute it, not yours.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,741 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 26, 2011 13:38 |  #4

It's a trick question.

If they owe you money, you don't deliver anything, unless you have an agreement for partial delivery for partial payment.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,303 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 26, 2011 14:08 |  #5

NivoMedia wrote in post #13164299 (external link)
Ok so over the last year I have been working for a music producer and one of his artists, I have about a years worth of footage (shows, backstage, studio recording etc. all in video)

I shot this documentary style, live show coverage and interview style. So far the producer has been paying me for the videos, I still have some here and I have delivered some to the producer.

Recently I found out that the pair no longer works together - and they both want the footage. I have learned that the payment for the video has been split between the two of them.

There is still a small amount of money that they owe me to deliver the rest of the footage and to film a small segment in the recording studio.

My question for advice would be: who gets the footage, as the both own it - do I deliver the video to the person whos likeness and voice is seen/heard in the video or do I deliver it to the guy who has been paying me for the video?

This is the digital age. You make two copies and sell a copy to each at full price. Or you make one copy and sell to the person who ponies up first.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 26, 2011 15:23 |  #6

Give it to whoever paid you, or who you have the contract with.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

pbisfun
231 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 26, 2011 16:25 |  #7

call them both and ask for the sum of what they owe you. the first one to pay gets the film

the light is seen by all but not understood by all
http://photoSentimenta​l.com (external link)

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 26, 2011 19:42 |  #8

tim wrote in post #13166347 (external link)
Give it to whoever paid you, or who you have the contract with.

Agreed. Give it to the person who's been paying you and you've been dealing with all along (or whoever you have the agreement/contract with). Then let them sort their legal mess out on their own.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,303 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 26, 2011 20:47 |  #9

Unless the contract specifies exclusivity, he can sell it to as many people as he wants.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 27, 2011 16:56 |  #10

Ditto.

It all comes down to the contact. The person you have the contract with, or agreement in the absence of a written contract, is who you are engaged with contractually. Depending on what terms were agreed upon will determine what you can or can't do with the footage. It also will dictate if you need to deliver at all since its possible the contact is void if the other party has not fulfilled their obligation to you (payment).

Until you give us more details on what the terms were with regard to copyright, exclusivity, usage, compensation, etc, its hard to give you any sort of answer with meaning. I.e. was the agreement with both of them? One of them? Was there any guarantee of exclusivity? Were usage terms spelled out? Was payment due on delivery? Partial payments required at various points? Copyright or usage rights granted upon full payment? Was there any agreement on who owns the raw footage? Or did the agreement only cover the final edited product? etc...

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 29, 2011 10:03 |  #11

NivoMedia wrote in post #13164299 (external link)

What does your contract for this endeavor specify?

sponsored links

1,730 views & 0 likes for this thread
client issue - who gets the footage?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.