Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 07 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 13:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selective Coloring

vulcan1623
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 25, 2011 13:18 |  #46

kompressor wrote in post #13073803 (external link)
Just like most people, I went through the phase of thinking selective color was really cool. Now it all seems so cliche, but when clients request it, I'm not too proud (or well-off) to refuse to do it. Gotta pay the bills. One thing I have found that helps the effect is to be more gradual about it. Most people's examples of selective color will have a completely destaurated image punctuated by a gash of color that seems like it was over-saturated due to the contrast with the monochrome. Dial it down a bit. Make the color very subtle so that at first, your viewer isn't even positive that the element is indeed in color.

That's just my two cents. Wish I had an image to show you what I'm talking about, but I'm at work, wasting my employer's money.

+1 on this thought. I like selective color when you have to do a double-take to see it. More of the pastel look, almost like the hand coloring of B&W photos in the "old days" when I was a kid...

40D / XSi / Σ 10-20, 17-70 / Canon 55-250, 100 f2, 50 1.8

sponsored links
bboehm
706 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 25, 2011 13:20 |  #47

Ken_Rockwell wrote in post #13128280 (external link)
I think selective coloring kills most of these photos.

People seem to either love it or hate it - same as HDR. I think its really cool when it's used to highlight and draw attention to a specific item (like that yellow corvette). Other pictures where you really can't understand why the color has been preserved are the ones I don't like.

7D, 50D, EFS 17-85mm IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 2X Extender III, Calumet Genesis 400, Speedlite 430EX, Pocket Wizards

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 25, 2011 13:20 |  #48

Airedale1 wrote in post #13073411 (external link)
Two of mine from long ago.

The Painter

QUOTED IMAGE

Painting Flowers

QUOTED IMAGE

I really like these two, especially the first one. In this case, the selective colour is part of the story that the image tells which is much more clever. The first one is like an old B&W snap of an artist painting but with colour paint. I like the feeling the picture portrays. I do wonder why he or she painted the front surface of the easel though.

Photo Gear

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 25, 2011 13:22 |  #49

The only two I have ever done.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

ekim89
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 25, 2011 15:19 as a reply to  @ neil_r's post |  #50

This is my first, and probably last try at selective coloring...it's just not my style, but there are some great shots on here showing how well it can be done!

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6083/6118717256_9c0219baa4_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ekim89/61187172​56/  (external link)
IMGP9473 fb (external link) by ekim89 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link) | PPG (external link) | 500px (external link) | My Blog (external link)
One day I might shoot Canon...but it's Pentax for now :cool:

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 25, 2011 16:27 |  #51

I like it still but I find it most effective in ad type shots like the first post and rather depressing shots like the graves with flowers and memorials like the American flag with...anything. Obviously it can be overdone but occasionally it's nice. I have a few I like but I'm at work right now.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Etelka
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 25, 2011 18:45 |  #52

I am wonder this topic is for only people and why on here people post people and other like car and etc on here....?

Just want to notice this...

I know this fourm sharing is for people...

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 25, 2011 22:35 |  #53

macroimage wrote in post #13160518 (external link)
I really like these two, especially the first one. In this case, the selective colour is part of the story that the image tells which is much more clever. The first one is like an old B&W snap of an artist painting but with colour paint. I like the feeling the picture portrays. I do wonder why he or she painted the front surface of the easel though.

If you mean the clamps above and below the canvas, it is common to dab a little on there to confirm that the brush is going to put down the right color. Having the palette flat and the canvas at an angle means that the light can be hitting it at a different angle and in different amounts.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 26, 2011 00:25 as a reply to  @ post 13069785 |  #54

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Follow the Light (external link) by Johan_7 (external link), on Flickr

My 500PX (external link)

Tlackerman
215 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 26, 2011 00:32 as a reply to  @ Canon_Lover's post |  #55

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6080/6119858254_571b4fd467_b.jpg

5Dmkiii | 5Dmki | T3i | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | 17-40mm L | 40mm pancake | nifty-fifty | Light stuffs
www.tladesign.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) |
Reno, NV

white ­ fire.
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 26, 2011 15:50 |  #56

kendisred wrote in post #13144233 (external link)
The Spooky Look:eek:

QUOTED IMAGE

Can't tell if serious....

Flickr (external link) | Gear List | www.connorsurdi.com (external link)

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 26, 2011 21:47 |  #57

scary.

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 26, 2011 22:03 |  #58

krb wrote in post #13162637 (external link)
If you mean the clamps above and below the canvas, it is common to dab a little on there to confirm that the brush is going to put down the right color. Having the palette flat and the canvas at an angle means that the light can be hitting it at a different angle and in different amounts.

Thank you for explaining this. I didn't know that. Clearly the photographer had an attention to detail in processing the picture that comes from an understanding of the art.

Photo Gear

Chris
Goldmember
4,124 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 26, 2011 22:27 |  #59

This is my one and only selective color image.

IMAGE: http://stoph.smugmug.com/Family/Easter-2010/gabe-with-wagon-copy/847121532_2vZnA-XL.jpg

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

gtrag94
273 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 26, 2011 23:08 |  #60

seems to work best for motorsports... the corvette and sport bikes were very good. I think it has to be a good picture on it's own (like their simple backgrounds and well done panning). Selective color is fine but not as a way to make a mediochre picture a great picture. That said... no matter how good the picture, I don't think full color with people in B/W ever works....

Fort Wayne, IN Portrait & Wedding Photographer
http://www.craigagapie​photography.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/CraigAgapiePhotograp​hy (external link)

sponsored links

12,769 views & 0 likes for this thread
Selective Coloring
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.