Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 00:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone else buy the Spider Holster?

ebusinesstutor
137 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 01, 2011 15:15 |  #61

I purchased the Spider Pro single camera system system with their belt and I have had it out a few times. I am really pleased with it. I HATE straps around my neck, so I found I often wouldn't take my camera when we would be walking or hiking as the strap around my neck would bother me.

With the Spider Pro, the weight is on my hip and I hardly notice it. I have a generic lens pouch for my telephoto lens that I put on the other hip.

I am one of those overweight people. It did take a bit of adjusting to find the right position for the belt so as not to pull the pants down, but it was fairly easy to do. The belt definitely needs to be tight.

I'll have to see if I can hook my binoculars to the belt as well.

This has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of this hobby. I highly recommend this system.

sponsored links
Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 01, 2011 15:22 |  #62

DigiNon wrote in post #12246474 (external link)
One more thing, I don't know if you've read the section of their site about Maintenance (external link), but they suggest you use a dry lubricant to "maintain the longest life of both the Insert and your Pins". They suggest you buy this: White Lightining Clean Ride lubricant (external link). One or two drops on a q-tip and rub it on the insert, that's how I do it. I'm sure you will be using yours way more than me since you're a busy wedding photographer so this will be a good thing to keep in mind every other week of using this holster system.

That's funny; I was just thinking about using this same stuff on my Spyder holster after I hiked 8 miles with my 1dmkiv + 16-35 this weekend.

For those who don't know; White Lightning is a bicycle chain lube... so hit up your local bike shop if you don't want to order online/pay for shipping; they'll probably lube them for you for free if you bring in your holster and pins.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 01, 2011 22:18 |  #63

rejay14 wrote in post #12250329 (external link)
Visit your local Police Supply store. We wear two belts on duty: an inner belt in belt loops and an outer (gun, radio, mag etc belt) attached with "keepers`....these keepers snap around the outer and inner belts to form a cohesive unit. They should only be 2-3$ and you should use at least 4. »»»»»Keep me posted on the results please!!

Keepers are essential for duty gear, and a pair of cameras would easily weigh more than some duty rigs.
Good tip with the belt keepers ! I still have some floating around from when I was doing security work

When I finally get a spider holster (haven't got round to ordering it yet) I will probably just thread them onto my every day belt (1.5" wilderness belt, or similar riggers belt 1.75" thick)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

pete622
38 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 10, 2011 18:51 as a reply to  @ Echo63's post |  #64

Guys,

Looking into buying a SpiderPro. I have a question...my thought is buying a SpiderPro (single camera belt) and attaching the plate/pin on both my bodies and then swapping out the camera in hand with the camera on the belt. Is this swapping easy to do?

I'm picturing it and my concern is with fumbling while swapping. Anyone else do it this way? I don't like neckstraps so both bodies would not be tethered in any way. I was thinking about buying their dual camera belt but would rather have the single belt if this swapping is doable and practical.

Thanks,
Pete.

Pete T.
www.pjtprints.com (external link)
30D / 50 / 100 / 24-105 / Tokina 11-16 / 550 / 430 / 2x SB-26 / SB-800 / 055xprob / 680

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 10, 2011 22:50 |  #65

That's my standard airshow setup.. 1dmkiv + 100-400 and spyder plate + pin, and a 50D + 16-35 or 10-22 + pin. I don't need the plate on the short lenses, the pin in the tripod mount hole works just fine.

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2011 23:57 |  #66

I have been intrigued by the spyder system but worry about Arca Swiss compatibility.
The Arca Swiss adaptor (made by arcatech) sold by spyder is not good as the one I use (wimberley P-5)

I have also been interested in the new capture camera clip system which is an Arca Swiss based system. But they use their own Arca Swiss plate made in china. I prefer to use the wimberley because of their reputation for quality and great engineering.

If I could use my wimberley plate on either of these, I would use it in a flash.

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 12, 2011 21:32 |  #67

I did it this way for a while and it works fine. You can always add another holster later. Love the Spider Holster!

pete622 wrote in post #13081786 (external link)
Guys,

Looking into buying a SpiderPro. I have a question...my thought is buying a SpiderPro (single camera belt) and attaching the plate/pin on both my bodies and then swapping out the camera in hand with the camera on the belt. Is this swapping easy to do?

I'm picturing it and my concern is with fumbling while swapping. Anyone else do it this way? I don't like neckstraps so both bodies would not be tethered in any way. I was thinking about buying their dual camera belt but would rather have the single belt if this swapping is doable and practical.

Thanks,
Pete.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

heuglini
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 18, 2011 10:12 |  #68

Hi guys, this is my first post. I'm very tired of walking for hours of birdwatching activity with binoculars on the neck, bag on the shoulders and 7d + grip + 400 f 5.6 on the right shoulder.
This spider holster looks great, but do you think it would be ok for 7d + grip + 400 f 5.6?
Won't this setup be moving a little to much?
Have you some photos of long lenses on the spider?

Thank you and ciao from Italy
Michele

fiathriel
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 27, 2011 04:00 as a reply to  @ heuglini's post |  #69

I ordered the dual system about 2 weeks ago, I'm in Australia. Can't wait to try it out, sick of battling two camera bodies on shoulders and around my neck!

Facebook photography page - https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/20660​1839352294 (external link)
Temp gallery page http://fiathriel.devia​ntart.com/gallery (external link)

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 27, 2011 08:38 |  #70

Hi Michele;
I don't have any pictures.. but I might this weekend when I go to the airshow.
I use my 1dmkiv + 100-400 walking around all day and it's fine.
B&H photo shows the 400 5.6 3" longer, but .25 lbs lighter.

I think you'll be fine.
The Spyder holster plate is a must for long lenses, as it has different threaded holes to attach the pin allowing lenses to hang at an angle to accommodate your preferences. If my 100-400 hangs straight down, it hits my knee. If I use one of the alternate holes for screwing in the pin, I can walk all day and never notice it's there.
Hope it helps you now..

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 27, 2011 09:26 |  #71

I used to use one holster on my right hip and a Luma Loop for my second camera, but recently switched to a holster on each hip (on a Think Tank speed belt). I shot a festival this weekend and the Spider Holster was an absolute joy to use and my back feels great. I had an extra one that I lent to another photographer to try out and he's getting one too now. I can't recommend them highly enough.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

fiathriel
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 06, 2011 08:46 |  #72

fiathriel wrote in post #13169936 (external link)
I ordered the dual system about 2 weeks ago, I'm in Australia. Can't wait to try it out, sick of battling two camera bodies on shoulders and around my neck!

Ordered 19th Sept, arrived today 7th Oct to Oz, pretty happy with that.

Assembled it tonight and put a camera body each side, one with a 70-200 lens and pranced around my room (lol 1am). First impressions are good, loving the comfort and fully entrust all aspects of the belt and plate, seem extremely heavy duty and I don't doubt for a moment that they will stay on. Even did some bending, wiggling and jumps with both cameras loaded (without the safety switch engaged) and the bodies didn't budge a bit. Although the instructions say to have the safety on all the time, I doubt I will :) Will update more when I actually take it out shooting (working tomorrow and Sat so not sure when)

:D

Facebook photography page - https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/20660​1839352294 (external link)
Temp gallery page http://fiathriel.devia​ntart.com/gallery (external link)

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 08, 2011 20:59 as a reply to  @ fiathriel's post |  #73

Still loving mine and still hating camera straps. Sari and Spider belt :)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5265/5661297103_7c1cc991df_b.jpg

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 09, 2011 06:47 |  #74

Sari is beautiful.

sponsored links

23,380 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone else buy the Spider Holster?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.