Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 10:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

slim filters + lens caps

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 27, 2011 10:59 |  #1

i cant seem to find this info anywhere... i am looking at a hoya or a B+W uv protection filter.... coincidentally, i see a number of them for sale on here, but all seem to be of the slim variety, and i cant figure out if a standard lens cap will fit, or if i need one of those slip-on caps. all of the ones in the FS section are listed as BNIB, so i cant ask the seller to open the package and test.

for example:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ltraviolet_UV_0​_Haze.html (external link)

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
steve40
188 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 27, 2011 11:05 |  #2

My B+W slim polarizer, came with its own slip-over protective cap. I don't know about Hoya, I don't own any slim Hoyas. But you do know! all slim design filters do not have front threads on them, if that makes any matter to you. But that does mean there is no place for a clip on lens-cap, to get a grip on.

Steve40.
http://steveslandscape​s.50webs.com (external link)
Cameras: Canon G12, SX150 is, & A1200.
Darkroom & Printer: PhotoShop Elements 9, Canon Pixma iX6520.
Tripods: Manfrotto 190XPROB & Giottos MT 9251 + Several Heads.

GLeBLanc
41 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 27, 2011 11:10 as a reply to  @ steve40's post |  #3

I have a slim protection filter on my 70-200, was there when I bought the lens. I can still use the canon lens cap. There's still a couple of threads on the filter to hold the cap, just not as much as a regular filter.

green_tooth
90 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 27, 2011 11:18 |  #4

Check out B+W XS-PRO. They are slim, and you can use standard lens cap on them.

I have them on EF 16-35mm f2.8, EF 85mm f1.2 and EF 135mm f2.0. Slightly less vignetting then with B+W F-PRO, some flare if you shoot at the point light sources, but other than that no impact on the image quality.

http://www.schneiderop​tics.com/news/110308_x​s-pro.htm (external link)

Assembler Code: IBLU - Ignore Basic Laws of Universe | http://planeta-dosade.net (external link) |

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 27, 2011 11:22 |  #5

As GLeBLanc stated, some "slim" designs have front threads, just fewer of them.... other designs have no front threads at all. You can check the manufacturer's website to determine which is which. That way, you can buy based on product ID or model number, etc. and you won't be surprised.

And as Steve mentioned, some of the slim designs with no threads come with a slip on cover since a traditional lens cap won't work.

If you are buying from B&H, give them a call or do a live online chat with one of their sales people. Better hurry... they close for their holidays in 38 minutes.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 27, 2011 15:32 |  #6

ah, missed the live chat with BH (went to the site at precisely 1:01pm)

ive looked on the Hoya website, but it doesnt have any info regarding lens caps and slim filters. i guess ill have to trudge on over to BH or Adorama and ask in person.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 27, 2011 19:48 |  #7

ekinnyc wrote in post #13172394 (external link)
ah, missed the live chat with BH (went to the site at precisely 1:01pm)

ive looked on the Hoya website, but it doesnt have any info regarding lens caps and slim filters. i guess ill have to trudge on over to BH or Adorama and ask in person.

Be thankful you can even do that! Many of us buy everything without seeing it first!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

canonguy14
379 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 27, 2011 19:57 |  #8

ben_r_ wrote in post #13173423 (external link)
Be thankful you can even do that! Many of us buy everything without seeing it first!

+1 ^

Canon 5D MkII x 2 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | 600EX-RT x 2 | 580EXII | AB800
Alex J. Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 27, 2011 20:16 |  #9

ben_r_ wrote in post #13173423 (external link)

lol, agreed. i grumble that its out of my way and i have to take a different subway line to get to B&H, i forget that most members on this site dont even have that luxury :cool:

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 28, 2011 08:31 |  #10

ekinnyc wrote in post #13172394 (external link)
....i guess ill have to trudge on over to BH or Adorama and ask in person.

Before you come visit - PLEASE note Adorama upcoming Holiday schedule http://cot.ag/nfsgly (external link) and plan accordingly. We appreciate your understanding & business

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 28, 2011 09:12 |  #11

thanks for posting helen. i wont makit it out there til end of holidays anyway.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links

1,243 views & 0 likes for this thread
slim filters + lens caps
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.