Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 02:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AE CS5 Render Times? 15hrs for 30min of video?

Citizen_Insane
453 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 25, 2011 02:06 |  #1

This render seems like it's talking longer than it should, what do you guys think?

1080p24 from 5D2
- Remove Grain
- Some simple fades and graphic overlays
- Exporting AVI with Lagarith MT (for import into Premiere)

After Effects CS5

Intel 2500K (stock)
16gb DDR3

CPU is running about 60%
15.1GB of ram used

Are there some settings in the remove grain effect that greatly affect the render time? Should I be converting to lossess with Lagarith before applying the effects? If I can't find a way to optimize this somehow this project is going to take forever, I've got a sold 5-6 hours of footage to edit and render.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 25, 2011 03:46 |  #2

I just rendered a 2.5 hour video with full color grading and motion stabilization in 12 hours, so yeah... 15 hours for 30 minutes seems a little long.

Rendering the final output has me really confused right now too, my laptop which is pretty powerful with an i7 3GHz and 14GB DDR3 Ram is GREAT for the editing process, but it renders the final product reallllyyy slow, it was going to take 30-60 hours to render the same 2.5 hour video. I decided to try my crappy Desktop computer to render it and it only took the 12 hours. Its just a generic Desktop with nothing special, older Quad Core 2.5GHz and 4GB of DDR2 Ram.. I can't figure out why it renders so much faster than my laptop, they both render off of my 2TB external harddrive so the HDD isnt the issue either.

Now I just render everything off the desktop and do the editing on the Laptop.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Citizen_Insane
THREAD ­ STARTER
453 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 25, 2011 10:11 |  #3

There's no way a 3Ghz quad w/ 14gb of ram is actually slower than your older computer, it's got to be in the settings somewhere. That's what I'm trying to figure out, what I need to do to optimize the system to run AE well.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

Terjay
448 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 25, 2011 11:32 |  #4

Here's some tips from the manual: http://help.adobe.com …a-B2D6-C8B4205D4FB7a.html (external link)

Also re/degraining is pretty intensive stuff to do. Do not use OpenGL rendering. Instead of some weird open source codec you could try Quicktime Animation.

Citizen_Insane
THREAD ­ STARTER
453 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 25, 2011 22:07 |  #5

I turned on mutlithreading (why wouldn't this be turned on by default or autodetected?) and the time dropped to 10hrs 40min. Not as bad. Hopefully I won't have to denoise much of the other footage otherwise I'm going to have to build another computer to help w/ the rendering.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

CalmAsToast
195 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 27, 2011 23:26 as a reply to  @ Citizen_Insane's post |  #6

Something else to consider; the time estimate at the beginning is rarely accurate. Also, it estimates based on what it is doing at that moment and what it has already done, so if you have a fade in and some other effects at the beginning of your video, the time will show much higher than what it will really take because the estimate it is giving you is based on those things.

I have also seen many times where it will give me an estimate of 20 min for example, after about 12 min, saying it still has 8 min to go it will suddenly finish. I have seen the estimate jump up as well when it hits a section with intensive effects in the middle of the video. So take those estimates with a grain of salt.

5D Mk III 7D Canon Lenses 35 2.0 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 24-105 4L IS | 28-135 IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 70-300 IS
---------------
Feedback & Gear
500px (external link) - PattersonVisualArts.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

2,577 views & 0 likes for this thread
AE CS5 Render Times? 15hrs for 30min of video?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.