Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 08:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Experiences buying refurbished bodies from Canon Direct?

Daedalus34r
477 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 23, 2011 13:04 |  #16

coldcuts113 wrote in post #13150439 (external link)
Update.. As I'm charging the battery, the 7d looks brand new. Seriously.

yea i bought my 7D a few months ago, would do it again. the camera looked and felt brand new.

BODY :: EOS 7D, EOS 50D
GLASS :: 17-55 f/2.8 , 50 f/1.4 , 70-200 f/4L IS, 150 f/2.8 EX Macro , 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX , 30 f/1.4 EX
EXTRAS :: 430EX II , Kata R-103 Bag , Tenba Messenger Bag :: WISH LIST :: 100 f/2
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro Review

sponsored links
riotshield
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 23, 2011 15:07 as a reply to  @ Daedalus34r's post |  #17

Well, curiosity got the better of me and I downloaded gphoto2. Shutter count shows as 1582 (I took about 40 photos so far). Seems a bit high for my liking - I'll have to look over the camera more closely before deciding.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,244 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 23, 2011 15:10 |  #18

that's really not a high shutter count. There was one forum member that got a 5D II from the CLP that had over 43k on the shutter....THAT I consider high.

on the CLP thread, there were people returning cameras if they had 100-200 shutter actuations...if you want a 0 count, buy new. these are refurbished for a reason...whether it was because someone bought it, used it, and it broke later on, or it may have been a demo unit, or even pulled from the production line and tested at the factory.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 23, 2011 15:16 |  #19

The CLP is not available in the UK
:mad:

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,244 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 23, 2011 15:17 |  #20

US only. get a friend in the states to do it for you and ship it.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 23, 2011 15:40 |  #21

Invertalon wrote in post #13150686 (external link)
My 5D2 was like new... With like 16 images on it. Not a single flaw, anywhere. Can't beat it. I wish I got a better deal on it, but still not terrible. Something like $2100 or something. Still $300 or so saved.

Wow I thought I lucked out with mine only have 600 clicks...

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

melauer
207 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 23, 2011 16:14 |  #22

rick_reno wrote in post #13150565 (external link)
I've only seen two reports of people being unhappy with bodies they got. Overall, it appears to be a good place to buy a body, really good if you live in a state that doesn't have sales tax.

Yeah, one of them may have been me. Might as well re-tell my story...

I got a 7d through the CLP in December of last year. After about a month I started to notice a strange problem. Sometimes (not always, or even often) every other photo would get screwed up. Normally they would be duplicates of a previous photo, e.g. photos 23, 25, 27, 29, etc. of that particular set would be identical. Sometimes they would have a strong pinkish cast or be all-white instead or show "tearing". The JPEGs and RAWs always match (e.g. show the same corruption). Turning the camera off and waiting 5-10 minutes always fixes the problem, at least temporarily.

I'm sure that some people are thinking the memory card must be at fault right about now. Unfortunately I had this problem with two cards, a Sandisk 16GB 266x card and a Transcend 32GB 400x card. And yes they were formatted in-camera. I also had the problem with various lenses (Sigma and Canon), and even two different batteries (both Canon brand). I have upgraded to every firmware revision which was released and the problem still occurs (only once since upgrading to 1.2.5 recently, but it has happened).

Also, I have lent this camera out to three friends and two of them have had the problem. One of them thought that he broke it! So clearly it ain't just me. Also, my T1i has never had this problem.

I sent the camera to Canon twice for repairs during the three month warranty period. Both times it behaved for about a month then had the problem again.

Although this probably sounds awful, the thing is that it happens very rarely. At most once a month. When it does I just have to stop using the camera for a while and it will be okay thereafter.

If I were a professional this would be completely unacceptable. As a hobbyist I can tolerate it, but I'm not happy about it. If I had purchased my 7d new then it would still be under warranty even now and I would probably have returned it at this point, especially since some of my friends can also vouch for the problems it is having.

MikeJohn
109 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 23, 2011 16:46 |  #23

Got my 1DIV refurb, like new, perfect.

Sony RX100, Canon S90, 1DMKIV, 5D MKIII, 16-35 II, 24-105, 70-200 II, 100-400, 300 f2.8, 1.4x III, 580EXII

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 23, 2011 23:39 as a reply to  @ MikeJohn's post |  #24

Bought a 7D through the CLP one year ago - had zero problems back then, or now.

Huge number of posts on this subject in two very long threads.

Ready CLP FAQ's first, start at post #1 -
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=948785

Thread prior to FAQ thread created -
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=918120

chenga732
465 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 24, 2011 09:04 |  #25

I have purchased a 7d from the CLP. The camera looks new and have 200's clicks. The camera did have a problem and was fixed under the warranty. If you purchased, I would have them perform a final health check before the warranty expired.

Xsi|24-105mm f4.0|70-200mm f4.0|85mm f.18

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 24, 2011 14:32 |  #26

I bought a 7D from CLP in January. I did have to send it back for a shutter about a month later. It was in and out back to me in 7 Days. I wasn't comfortable only having a 90 day warranty so I bought a 3yr. Mack from Adorama for $129 including accidental damage. I love the camera and would do it again.

Happy Shopping!

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

frule
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 29, 2011 04:25 |  #27

Excellent. I buy almost every camewra and lens used or refurbished. It's paid off!

Fred

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,849 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 29, 2011 07:34 as a reply to  @ frule's post |  #28

The Canon Loyalty Program is not the same as just purchasing a refurbed body or lens. anyone off the street with a valid credit card can order refurbed equpment. The CLP lets you trade in an old Canon body for extra hundreds off the refurbed price. It no longer applies to 5DII. It does apply to any of the xxD or XXXD bodies they have for sale. And yes you do have to send in the old Canon body. ;)

sponsored links

5,907 views & 0 likes for this thread
Experiences buying refurbished bodies from Canon Direct?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.