Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 23 Feb 2006 (Thursday) 20:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM

TriangleZ
79 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 28, 2011 21:15 |  #5896

I compared them both at 1.8 and smaller and the Canon was a bit sharper. I don't have any comparisons samples atm.

sponsored links
kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 28, 2011 21:40 as a reply to  @ TriangleZ's post |  #5897

Doesn't sound "dead on" to me if the 50 1.8 seems sharper. Mine is noticeably better than the nifty 50 (although not a lot) and several others I know have the same result. That is, unless you are enlarging the 30 to be roughly the same field of view as the 50.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

TriangleZ
79 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 28, 2011 23:17 |  #5898

Well, I think my nifty fifty is sharper than most peoples' because even at 1.8, if I am test shooting things that have black text, it's pretty sharp. It is really impressive at 1.8, the nifty fifty for how cheap it is. My Sigma shot at black text, had more color frindging, making the text to have a slight reddish feel to it, but not a lot to have me worried, just a bit soft. If you look at the 100% crop tests on the-digital-picture.com, you'll notice that the Sigma is not that sharp, and my results are the same as the review.

Maybe the reviewers at digital picture and I have bad copies? Since most people's 30mms are sharp wide open.

Paragon-Prime
146 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 28, 2011 23:24 |  #5899
bannedPermanent ban

so psyched, finally got mine today and better yet its the new finish and no focusing issues :D

Canon 7D l Σ 30 f1.4 l Σ 50 f1.4 l Σ 85 f1.4 l Canon Shorty Forty

kobeson
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 29, 2011 02:25 |  #5900

benee wrote in post #13175733 (external link)
These last two are really nice!

Thanks! :)

kfreels wrote in post #13175801 (external link)
Yeah. That's where mine was but it was pretty drastic. Even at f1.8 it was clearly noticeable. The problem with both of the two bad copies I received was really with focusing at short distances. As the distance from the lens increases, the depth of field widens. So shooting at 4-5 feet you may not be noticing much. But a head shot which would be at about 2 feet at 1.4 or 1.8 would have the eyes blurred but the tip of the nose in focus which looks very strange.

Whether this is worth checking further is really up to how you plan to use the lens. I bought it for the very shallow depth of field and use it a lot for head shots so I really needed that wide aperture short distance focusing to be right on the money. If you don't plan to use it that way however, it probably is good just as you have it.

One thing I keep wondering about is the shipping process. When I sent my second one to Adorama for a replacement they did me the huge favor of testing one in the warehouse on a 7D to make sure I got a good one. This was phenomenal, but I also noticed that when they shipped this one, they packed it in a much larger box with lots of extra bubble wrap. So I'm wondering if maybe this isn't necessarily a quality control issue, but one with the lens itself being overly sensitive to shock. Now I'm not going to drop mine as part of a controlled test but it would be great if some who have a sharp one and has dropped theirs could weigh in on this possibility.

It is difficult to say if mine needs correcting or not, I do like to shoot f1.4 so I would like it perfect, I think I need to do some more 'test' shots with it. I know a few of my 1.4 shots have similar focus errors - ie nose is in focus, eyes are blurred, but I haven't tried many posed shots to be honest, most of my work is candid so a slight movement by either me or the subject could make all the difference with the focus missing.

I live in Melbourne and I know there is a warranty repair centre not too far away, I might call them and see what they say. I wonder though if I would take it to them to fix the problem, and they turn around and tell methere IS no problem, I wonder if that would happen? I have no idea how they would even fix it, so I am pretty unsure about the entire process.

1Dx | 5D III | 1D IV | 8-15 | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II | 400L II | 1.4x III | Σ85 | 100L | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT
website  (external link)facebook (external link)

TriangleZ
79 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 29, 2011 03:53 |  #5901

Loving this lens, my only gripe, and this is totally my personal opinion in what I like to shoot is that the minimum focus distance is too far. I've gotten used to shooting 50mm on a crop so going down to 30mm is pretty wide. Sometimes I just want to get a close up with the 30mm but I need to be at least a 15 inches away to focus. I wish the minimum focus distance is shorter, like 10 inches or so would be nice.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 29, 2011 08:01 |  #5902

OMG this sucker is razor sharp wide open. Snapshots to follow tonight.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 29, 2011 08:04 |  #5903

TriangleZ wrote in post #13180785 (external link)
Loving this lens, my only gripe, and this is totally my personal opinion in what I like to shoot is that the minimum focus distance is too far. I've gotten used to shooting 50mm on a crop so going down to 30mm is pretty wide. Sometimes I just want to get a close up with the 30mm but I need to be at least a 15 inches away to focus. I wish the minimum focus distance is shorter, like 10 inches or so would be nice.

If you want to do macros get a set of tubes and you'll get much closer.

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,251 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 29, 2011 09:10 |  #5904

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #13181271 (external link)
If you want to do macros get a set of tubes and you'll get much closer.

TriangleZ wrote in post #13180785 (external link)

I you want to shoot macros get a more appropriate lens to do so with. A set of tubes or a close up filter and the 30 is going to put you right on top of your subject. I have heard others gripe about the MFD. I'm curious what it is that people want to shoot so close up. What are you shooting TriangleZ? Just curious.

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Samyang 12/2 AF | Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Tamron 17-70/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 29, 2011 10:21 |  #5905

^^^ a set of tubes doesn't mean you have to stack them all at once so you're on top of your subject, plus he say he has a 50 which is fine for macros. I had an appropriate lens the 100 f2.8 macro and didn't like it at all for macros

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,251 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 29, 2011 13:29 |  #5906

Something tells me TriangleZ isn't looking to do macros with the 30. My guess is it is a perspective thing. Another person was not liking the min FD because he wanted to get real close up to an object (a glass of beer) and have it look huge in comparison to the background. With this said, I didn't enjoy the 30 with tubes (even only the 12 mm extension). I just didn't like the loss of infinity focus. It really limited my total working distance. But then again I'm not that great of a photog!!

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Samyang 12/2 AF | Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Tamron 17-70/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 29, 2011 14:43 |  #5907

idsurfer wrote in post #13182891 (external link)
Something tells me TriangleZ isn't looking to do macros with the 30. My guess is it is a perspective thing. Another person was not liking the min FD because he wanted to get real close up to an object (a glass of beer) and have it look huge in comparison to the background. With this said, I didn't enjoy the 30 with tubes (even only the 12 mm extension). I just didn't like the loss of infinity focus. It really limited my total working distance. But then again I'm not that great of a photog!!

I run into the same problem with the 10-20 but I found the solution to be relatively simple.......crop the image. :-) I know, distance determines the perspective and yes, if you could get closer you could make the effect greater, but you can do about the same by going wider and cropping.

TriangleZ
79 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 29, 2011 15:12 |  #5908

That's true, I'm not doing any macro work, I'm just very used to the 50mm focal length. I liked to do a lot of headshots and close ups but the 50mm was too long indoors, and I shoot mostly indoor settings. The 30mm is fine, I just happen to try to get closer to the object from habit of the 50mm, didn't realize the 30mm is that much wider.

Not complaining, this is a great lens, and as kfreel said, I can always crop the image. I have much much more flexibility with this lens than I do with the 50mm. Granted, I would have kept the Sigma 50mm 1.4 if it worked, and grabbed this right after...or maybe the Sigma 85mm next...or get all three...

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 29, 2011 16:54 |  #5909

TriangleZ wrote in post #13183351 (external link)
That's true, I'm not doing any macro work, I'm just very used to the 50mm focal length. I liked to do a lot of headshots and close ups but the 50mm was too long indoors, and I shoot mostly indoor settings. The 30mm is fine, I just happen to try to get closer to the object from habit of the 50mm, didn't realize the 30mm is that much wider.

Not complaining, this is a great lens, and as kfreel said, I can always crop the image. I have much much more flexibility with this lens than I do with the 50mm. Granted, I would have kept the Sigma 50mm 1.4 if it worked, and grabbed this right after...or maybe the Sigma 85mm next...or get all three...

I just went the other way. I already had the 10-20 f4-5.6 which is another fantastic Sigma creation. So I have that wide end covered. This week I bought the Sigma 150mm f2.8 APO Macro which I haven't had time to do much with but what I have has been incredible. If they would bump up the IQ of that 17-70 then I would pretty much be a Sigma person. Sadly, that 17-70 is pretty poor compared to the 15-85 and the 24-70L.

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,251 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 29, 2011 19:14 |  #5910

Hey Triangle, Have you tried head shots with a longer FL such as 85? I know when I take head shots of people up close with the 30 they have come out looking like Pinocchio due to the weird perspective that close.

Cory
flickr (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links

3,081,342 views & 48 likes for this thread
Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.