Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 29 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 15:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Senior photoshoot! C&C

Eman.
153 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 29, 2011 15:29 |  #1

So I did my first senior shoot and i'd like some feed back. We could only schedule for the middle of the day, so I know that theres some harsh shadows but I did the best I could. I didn't use any strobes just natural light and I don't have a major editing program yet just iPhoto.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Clarisa. (external link) by Simpson.Photography (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Untitled (external link) by Simpson.Photography (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Clarisa's senior pictures (external link) by Simpson.Photography (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Untitled (external link) by Simpson.Photography (external link), on Flickr

Theres more on my flickr!

sponsored links
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 29, 2011 15:44 |  #2

1) high's are blown out

2) WB seems cool and looks like her right arm and hands are cut off.

3) again blown out and shadows on the face.

4)WB is off and again the highs are blown out

Being able to adapt is the key to any good photographer. To read the surroundings and the subject and know, "hey, it's really bright out. Maybe I should shoot in the shade a bit more." I know it's easier said than done and a million things are going through your head while shooting but this will ultimately make or break your shots. Do you shoot RAW? You should be able to recover some of the blown highs in ACR.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Fligi7
968 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 29, 2011 15:54 |  #3

Why were you using ISO 800? Shooting wide open at 2.8 at ISO 800 is going to give you crazy background blowout like you have in your pictures. In that situation, you should have lowered your ISO to 100 (it's super bright outside, no worries about light) and used an ND filter with a flash on the subject if you really wanted to capture the background without blowing out your subject.

I concur with ni$mo above. There are a ton of things to remember that aren't yet intuitive when you're just starting out doing portrait/headshot/mode​ling type shoots. You'll eventually get the hang of it the more you post back here and refine your techniques based on input.

Eman.
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 29, 2011 17:09 |  #4

yea I know I made the mistake at shooting at ISO800. was in the shade so i bumped the iso up. i really need to invest in ND filters. any suggestions?
and thanks guys its really appreciated!

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 29, 2011 20:50 |  #5

ND filters won't help. Your metering mode and paying attention to detail are the key. You might also look into a good flash.

But....shooting in mottled light very seldom turns out well. Find full shade or full sun.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Eman.
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 29, 2011 21:09 |  #6

thanks titus!

Bryan ­ Grant ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 29, 2011 23:26 |  #7

location location location
even at noon there are fully shaded shot or try back lit
and i wouldnt consider iphoto photo editing software,
i might recommend light room $300 and well worth it that is if you cant afford photoshop
or try elements i hear people like it
and check out lynda.com great online tutorials for cheap

"canon---- there is no substitute"
My photography Blog (external link)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 30, 2011 01:03 as a reply to  @ Bryan Grant Photography's post |  #8

The only time sun on faces works is close to dawn or dusk. And dappled light never works. Other good advice has already been given.

Richard
Gear

Fligi7
968 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 30, 2011 10:52 |  #9

Titus213 wrote in post #13184781 (external link)
ND filters won't help.

How else do you not blow out a very bright background in this situation? Even lowering th ISO to 100 will still blow it out with that powerful sun. An ND filter will bring your shutter speed down. They are shooting with a 50mm so they are close enough that the flash will still be effective. The reason I know is because I just did a shoot with the same lens in the same conditions outside.

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 30, 2011 11:10 |  #10

Stopping it down and increasing the flash power will yield a proper exposure over the entire shot. I often shoot without a filter in midday sun at f/8-11 with my strobes to balance the ambient with the flash. This is only one of many options though..

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Fligi7
968 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 30, 2011 11:14 |  #11

Yea, if you have strobes, and I guess the OP does since he mentioned it although I'm not sure why he didn't use them. My shoot was just with an OCF, so there's not a lot of options with that.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 30, 2011 11:32 |  #12

I would use an ETTL flash with high speed sync to light the subject if I was FORCED to shoot in these conditions. If that wasn't enough I'd change location. My point is that selection of location is far more important than the equipment you can use.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

Fligi7
968 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 30, 2011 11:36 |  #13

Agreed on location selection, I was just curious how you would deal with that situation if you were in it, having just done the same myself.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 30, 2011 13:09 |  #14

I've always figured that as a photographer I was hired for my photographic expertise (whatever level that might be). Part of that is selection of time and place. If the client is obstinate then I have to deal with the type of issues presented in these images. If I know I can't deal with these issues I would suggest they select a different photographer.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 30, 2011 17:15 |  #15

OB BOY..I think it's all been said already. Bad location..bad lighting..bad posing.. I would offer a reshoot or their money back..

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,430 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Senior photoshoot! C&C
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.