Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 23 Feb 2006 (Thursday) 20:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM

Dick ­ Emery
695 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 30, 2011 11:18 |  #5926

IMAGE: https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/6189398895_0af86e3cb6_o.jpg

Canon 450D/XSi (Retired), Canon 70D, Canon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 STM, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS, Canon 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 EF-S IS, Canon 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 EF II, Sigma 30mm F1.4, 430EX Mk I, Canon Powershot S2 IS, Canon Powershot S90 IS, Sigma 1.6x closeup lens.
My Flickr (external link)
www.maunders.com (external link)

sponsored links
kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 30, 2011 13:37 |  #5927

tagakweens wrote in post #13187214 (external link)
sorry for the ignorance, but how do you do this?

I only know how in photoshop. The numbers are for the sharpening, the radius and the threshold on the unsharp mask. Sharpening set at 300%, radius at .3, threshold set at zero. It's found in CS5 under FILTER>SHARPEN>UNSHARP MASK.

I'm aware that there's an unsharp mask function in DPP now but I'm not sure how the settings relate to the above. I always do my sharpening last.

For the record, I'm not 100% certain those are Canon's recommended settings but I've seen them listed as such in several places. Who knows what is true anymore but it seems to work well. :-P

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 30, 2011 13:59 |  #5928

kfreels wrote in post #13188016 (external link)
I only know how in photoshop. The numbers are for the sharpening, the radius and the threshold on the unsharp mask. Sharpening set at 300%, radius at .3, threshold set at zero. It's found in CS5 under FILTER>SHARPEN>UNSHARP MASK.

I'm aware that there's an unsharp mask function in DPP now but I'm not sure how the settings relate to the above. I always do my sharpening last.

For the record, I'm not 100% certain those are Canon's recommended settings but I've seen them listed as such in several places. Who knows what is true anymore but it seems to work well. :-P

I'm gonna try this.... Thanks!

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 01, 2011 13:26 |  #5929

Wanted to try out some sun flare shots, but went outside too late..Where did summer go?

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6151/6196767013_abe8a85406_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/boingyman/61967​67013/  (external link)
Not Angry :) (external link) by boingy-man (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,495 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 02, 2011 13:09 |  #5930

kfreels wrote in post #13175801 (external link)
One thing I keep wondering about is the shipping process. When I sent my second one to Adorama for a replacement they did me the huge favor of testing one in the warehouse on a 7D to make sure I got a good one. This was phenomenal, but I also noticed that when they shipped this one, they packed it in a much larger box with lots of extra bubble wrap. So I'm wondering if maybe this isn't necessarily a quality control issue, but one with the lens itself being overly sensitive to shock.

You raise an important point; I've copied your posting over to our warehouse manager and the shipping manager to research - as the returns on this unit (which I've noted across numerous forums and retailers) are costly to the business and of course extremely inconvenient for our customers.
It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,871 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 02, 2011 20:01 |  #5931

The weather was quite nice today for a cruise down by the river on the bikes....attempting to get some use out of the 430exII

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Samyang 12/2
flickr (external link) flickr (external link)
Feedback

HelenOster
That's me!
4,495 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 04, 2011 09:01 |  #5932

kfreels wrote in post #13175801 (external link)
....I also noticed that when they shipped this one, they packed it in a much larger box with lots of extra bubble wrap. So I'm wondering if maybe this isn't necessarily a quality control issue, but one with the lens itself being overly sensitive to shock.

Question from our warehouse manager; is it ALL Sigma lenses, or just this model, do you think?

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,581 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 04, 2011 09:26 |  #5933

HelenOster wrote in post #13203198 (external link)
Question from our warehouse manager; is it ALL Sigma lenses, or just this model, do you think?

I know the 50mm is notorious for the same focusing problems. I think the 85 is as well. I got 2 of the 50's from Amazon. They were not cushioned on all sides in shipping. I gave up and got a Canon. The packaging was equivalent and the lens works perfectly. I wondered about this being part of the issue with these lenses myself when I tried the 50mm. My Sigma 30 has been great, but I got it over 2 years ago and don't remember what the packaging looked like.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

HelenOster
That's me!
4,495 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 04, 2011 09:47 |  #5934

randy98mtu wrote in post #13203266 (external link)
I know the 50mm is notorious for the same focusing problems. I think the 85 is as well. I got 2 of the 50's from Amazon. They were not cushioned on all sides in shipping. I gave up and got a Canon. The packaging was equivalent and the lens works perfectly. I wondered about this being part of the issue with these lenses myself when I tried the 50mm. My Sigma 30 has been great, but I got it over 2 years ago and don't remember what the packaging looked like.

That's really helpful..
Anyone else got comments?

If it means we need to re-design the way we pack certain vulnerable gear then that's what we'll do, of course. Just need some more feedback to narrow it down.

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 04, 2011 11:01 |  #5935

HelenOster wrote in post #13203341 (external link)
That's really helpful..

If it means we need to re-design the way we pack certain vulnerable gear then that's what we'll do, of course. Just need some more feedback to narrow it down.

Helen, you've been so helpful in the past and I love seeing how pro-active you are. However, I think this is Sigma's issue. Would hate to see Adorama needlessly spending money on packing lenses to address what are really quality control issues at the manufacturing level.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 04, 2011 12:34 as a reply to  @ Nathan's post |  #5936

My 10-20 from Adorama was great right out of the box. It seems to me that the packing was adequate on the first two, but nothing like the third one you sent. I haven't had mine for long so I would be curious what other experiences people have with the durability of the lens. If the lens itself is prone to being easily knocked out of adjustment I would expect that the purchasers of used lenses would have just as much trouble.

I'm assuming that there is some kind of floating element involved inside to keep things focused as distances get shorter. The close-focusing issue is very apparent at short focusing distances but the problem decreases with distance. This is why micro adjustment of the focus isn't a fix for it. Any adjustment you use to make the short distance stuff accurate throws off the focus at longer distances.

I don't know how many of these you have in stock, but it would be a neat exercise to test all of those you have and see how many have this issue. If you find there are a significant number, maybe you could bring it up to Sigma as you have to deal with the costs of all the returns.

There is another option that you might consider and I think we would all agree it would be worth it. Maybe for all lenses, you can offer a checkbox on the website for performing a focus test before shipping. It would be something like "Please check test this lens for focus calibration before shipping. I understand this may delay shipping by up to two days". It may be a little more work on the shipping side, but if the number of returns for this purpose is as high as I suspect, it would pay for itself. Best of all, Adorama would be the only company that would be offering this as an option on all lens purchases. :-)

JimmyDude911
772 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 04, 2011 17:32 |  #5937

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6026/6209130493_a7ab15c2e5_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/25753704@N04/6​209130493/  (external link)
The Bay (external link) by jimmydude911 (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 5D Mark ii | Canon 50/1.4 |Rokinon 85/1.4 |
Leica M4-P | 40/1.4 Nokton |
Bronica ETRS | 50/2.8 | 75/2.8 |
flickr (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 05, 2011 18:24 |  #5938

HelenOster wrote in post #13203341 (external link)
That's really helpful..

I think that the manufacturers package their lenses to where they will be fairly well protected with normal handling but we all know that in the shipping process things happen.

I will say that Adoroma as well as some other sellers need to do a better and more careful job in packaging lenses especially the higher end lenses or the ones with stabilization. I ordered almost $8000 worth of lenses from Adoroma in August, taking advantage of the Canon rebates as well as the 4% rebate Adoroma was giving through Mr. Rebate at that time. I was not to happy with the packaging of my lenses especially a stabilized lens which was just loose packed in a large box with some other items. When I picked the box up you could hear and feel the lens sliding around in the box. The outside of the lens box was marked up from where it had come in contact with the other items in the box. One of my other lenses had the edge of the box crushed which was a direct result of the edge of the packing box being crushed. The lens box was placed tight against the packing box with no shock absorbant packing material around it so it sustained the same damage as the packing box.

In the past year I have had 7 new lenses, 4 Sigmas and 3 Canon L lenses, with focus issues of which 5 have been sent in for service and 2 returned. I personally think it is more about quality control issues rather than shipping issues that caused these problems but looking back on the way my lenses were packaged and with others raising this issue it may be a contributing factor to some of the problems these lenses are experiencing.

With all that being said I have ordered lenses this past year from 3 different suppliers and it is just not an issue with Adoroma. I have been a bit dismayed in the quality of packing with most of the lenses I received. Of the two lenses I returned, I repackaged them in larger boxes with better packing material, than what they were sent to me in, just so they could not blame me for any damage when returning the lenses.

I guess what irritated me most wasn't so much in the quality of the shipping but in the fact that one of the lenses did not focus correctly so I returned it for a replacement and in the process had $66 worth of rebates cancelled. If I had returned the lens for a refund I could see the rebates being retracted but for a replacement? Of course no where does Adoroma state in their return poilcy or return procedures that this will happen and in talking to Adoroma and Mr Rebates each says that it is out of their control and blame it on the other. Go Figure! The replacement lens does focus correctly but I guess since it cost $66 more it had better.

Rand

Gear

HelenOster
That's me!
4,495 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 06, 2011 04:17 |  #5939

agv8or wrote in post #13210418 (external link)
I think that the manufacturers package their lenses to where they will be fairly well protected with normal handling but we all know that in the shipping process things happen.

Thank you for your feedback. Did you ever raise these issues with me directly, ie, the damage to the packaging, and the loss of your rebate? Or did anyone in the CS team help you with this at all?

If not, then please do email me, with your order number: Helen@adorama.com (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 06, 2011 09:30 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #5940

Just bought another Sigma lens from Adorama this week - the 17-70. It was pakaged as the f1/4 was - in a 10x6.5x8.5 box with a single layer of the large air cell whatever you call them thingies and focus is spot-on. Of course that could mean that this lens is more rugged inside or that the box didn't experience any major shock during transport.

The 1.4 is an "EX" lens which is supposed to be of higher quality than this 17-70 I bought so it should be less prone to shock you would think.

You would think that with the number of returns on this lens and the number sent in to calibrate, Sigma would have noticed the problem by now. I still think the best test of all would be to open up 10-20 of them in the store, put them on a body and see what they come up with.

sponsored links

2,780,652 views & 47 likes for this thread
Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.