Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 30 Sep 2011 (Friday) 05:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thought I'd give the Viel Nebula a shot

Toxic ­ Coolaid
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 30, 2011 05:04 |  #1

Didn't have much luck with it last year, so I thought I'd try again while it was actually a clear night

25 x 4 min subs
8 x darks, offset, flats, and dark flats
stacked in DSS

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i347.photobucke​t.com …okpt/LPOIIIHaBi​gjpegf.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
cyberon
540 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 30, 2011 05:07 |  #2

Great shot!

500D, Speedlite 430EX II, Lens : 15-85mm; 50mm F1.8 II; 100mm F2.8L IS Macro; 70-200mm F4L; Samyang 8mm F3.5
U/W : G11, OEM Housing, Inon S2000, Inon D4 Tray, Inon UCL-165 Close up lens
Astro : Modded 1100D, ES 80ED, Skywatcher HEQ5 Mount, Astrotrac TT320X-AG, Astronomik CLS Clip in filter

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,828 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Sep 30, 2011 05:48 |  #3

Can I ask, how big a "rectangle" is this shot on the sky if you compare it e.g. to something that resembles to angle of view what a human can see at one glance (like 50mm on full frame)? In other words, if you take a FF 50mm shot to same direction, what is the crop you need to produce above image?

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Toxic ­ Coolaid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 30, 2011 06:02 |  #4

Well this is 650mm on a crop sensor. Maybe a little smaller than a sugar cube held out at arms length for perspective.

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Sep 30, 2011 07:24 |  #5

Very nice indeed, perhaps a little red. Its about a full moon sized if my interpretation of figures is correct but that is only a part of the veil complex overall.

Toxic ­ Coolaid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 30, 2011 14:40 |  #6

Thank You

Toxic ­ Coolaid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 30, 2011 14:54 |  #7

Thank you. I guess that would make it the size of your thumbnail at arms length. Pekka you may try the North American Nebula it's pretty high now and it's very big and a little brighter than the Veil. I stuck the Moon in with the N Am Nebula below for size comparison. Both were shot with an 100mm lens. It's cool to see how many things up there that are actually too big to completely see with my telescope.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i347.photobucke​t.com …kpt/NANha3wmoon​jpeg-2.jpg (external link)

Toxic ­ Coolaid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 30, 2011 17:17 |  #8

Pekka, Here is the full nebula from NASA picture of the day....

http://apod.nasa.gov/a​pod/ap051206.html (external link)

Another ­ Canon ­ user
83 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 30, 2011 17:31 as a reply to  @ Toxic Coolaid's post |  #9

Super shot.

Canon 1D MKII N 40D 300D...Lens 300 f/2.8 L IS. 70-200 f/2.8 L IS. 24-70 f/2.8 L. 16-35 f/2.8 L MKII. 1x4 + 2x extenders + other bits.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,611 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 30, 2011 19:05 |  #10

Pekka wrote in post #13186209 (external link)
Can I ask, how big a "rectangle" is this shot on the sky if you compare it e.g. to something that resembles to angle of view what a human can see at one glance (like 50mm on full frame)? In other words, if you take a FF 50mm shot to same direction, what is the crop you need to produce above image?

If you shoot with a FF 50mm you would need to have the camera mounted on some type of tracking mount . But with a FF 50mm the Summer Triangle should just about fill the FF 50mm lens . I've added a star chart with the Summer Triangle outlined in red with the 3 main stars that make up the triangle . It shows the Veil Nebulae with the appropriate size of what you can expect with a FF 50mm lens . Now this is approx. , it could be a little larger or smaller but this should give you an idea of the size to expect .

megrac
635 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 30, 2011 20:44 |  #11

This site doesn't have everything listed but its still good.
http://www.12dstring.m​e.uk/fov.htm (external link)

60D | Canon 15-85 | Canon 200mm f/2.8L II | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | 580EX II. And a heap of Astrophotography gear.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,828 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Oct 01, 2011 07:46 |  #12

Thanks for the info, Ron!

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,611 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 01, 2011 09:26 |  #13

Pekka wrote in post #13190790 (external link)
Thanks for the info, Ron!

Your welcome but also remember that if you take a wide field shot like this above don't expect to be able to get the Veil Neb to come to size like the OP image . It would be so pixelated it would not look good . In order to get a image like the OP you would have to use equivelant lenses whether it be a scope or bigger lens .

Toxic ­ Coolaid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 01, 2011 10:45 |  #14

Celestron, hot did you come up with the FOV size. I know you said approx, but an approximate idea is what I'd like to have for new targets. I can shoot through my scopes at 1000mm, 663mm 600mm and 500mm, 2 scopes and a focal reducer for each. Then I can mount my camera on my scope for wider FOV. When I'm trying a new target I'm never qhite sure where to start. Adding a focal reducer is no big deal. But changing out the scope requires a total reset for the mount setting, weights, realignment all that. And what is the star chart your using. I usually use Starry night, but it just has semi circles to show the approximate size of the object. Like on yours I can see the size of The N Am Nebula right there with the Viel. I usually choose a few targets, do some online research, look at Starry night, try a few sample shots and go from there. Sometimes I'll do sample shots for a whole night just to determine what I want to shoot later. And thanks again, you always have good information.

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 01, 2011 12:06 |  #15

You can input sensor sizes and scope details into Starry Night and then get it to overlay the combinations of them onto the sky to see how the size works out. Really good as a planning tool.

sponsored links

3,873 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thought I'd give the Viel Nebula a shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.