Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 02:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Selling dead 5D

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 01, 2011 02:25 |  #1

Hey guys, so one of my 5Ds died almost a year ago and it has been sitting around doing nothing (like most dead things). Yes, it's certifiably deceased - Canon said something was wrong with the PCB.

My question is, is it worth trying to sell it on eBay? Who has ever sold a dead body there before? What kind of price did you get? There's nothing wrong with the shutter or sensor. I figured someone might perhaps be able to use it for spare parts, or maybe use it as a labrat for kinky camera dissection purposes.

Thanks. :cool:

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

Hairyman
105 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 01, 2011 02:36 |  #2

Does EBay charge much for listing? If not, then just try and see what happens.

All the gear and no idea.

http://pacalisdomum.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)http://pacalisdomum.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

Collin85
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 01, 2011 02:39 |  #3

I think listing is currently free, but the point is, if I'm only going to get something like $20, it wouldn't be worth my time (of doing the listing, trekking down to the post office etc.).

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 01, 2011 02:40 |  #4

I have seen dead cameras sell reasonably well on ebay, as there are people who do buy them for bits. You won't get a gtreat price for it, but you may be surprised what it fetches. It can be a gamble because obviously the market is limited and if there is only one person looking for a 5D for spares at that time, it may go at the start price. But that is the way with auctions.

On the other hand, what else are you going to do with it? I would just stick it on ebay and see what happens, you may be pleasantly surprised. You have nothing to lose.

Mr_Rebus
74 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 01, 2011 03:17 |  #5

If It's sat around the house doing nothing and you don't intend on getting it repaired I'd stick it on ebay and just see how much you get.
Any costs involved in posting/packaging etc. can be allowed for in your P&P charges.

There is always some idiot willing to pay for useless junk on ebay :-)

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 01, 2011 03:20 |  #6

my friend sold his 5d with a broken motherboard for $500. canon said it would cost $400 to repair. BAM gripped 5d with low actuations for $900. i still see most people selling theirs locally for 1k+.

flickr (external link)

tacoman1423
155 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 01, 2011 09:19 |  #7

any estimate on the shutter?

Averion Photography (external link)
FLICKR (external link)

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 01, 2011 12:10 |  #8

Since Canon said something was wrong with the PCB did they also give you an estimated repair cost? I imagine you could get at least a couple hundred for it as I've seen a few 7D that have been submersed in water go for $500 on ebay.

LarryD
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 170 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 01, 2011 15:12 as a reply to  @ spacetime's post |  #9

Since a 5d is still quite valuable, why don't you fix the board and sell it for market.. ???

.... Got some cameras; got some glass ..... I just need one more of each.....:rolleyes:

Some Snap-Shots (external link)
http://500px.com/Larry​D (external link)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 01, 2011 15:22 |  #10

I will give you $50 for it.

Then I will put it on Ebay where BROKEN 5D's are selling for $431 USD and up.

Yeah I checked ... the lowest price paid recently for a broken 5D was $431.00

PUT IT ON EBAY !!!!

Saw a BROKEN 40D go for $270 as well.

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,652 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 01, 2011 15:32 |  #11

I will give you $50 for it.

My thinking also. It would be worth it for me to get it fixed and use as a backup (third camera body).

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 01, 2011 16:52 |  #12

I think listing is currently free, but the point is, if I'm only going to get something like $20, it wouldn't be worth my time (of doing the listing, trekking down to the post office etc.).

If you have a quote from Canon on how much the repair is, and if you just don't want to mess with it, you could consider donating it to a favorite niece or nephew that wants to dip their toe into the photography world. They might be willing to ante up the repair cost to get a working camera. Or perhaps you have a local school that could use it for photography classroom ?
It would save you from having to mess with it, and put it back into service again for something worthwhile.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 01, 2011 16:58 as a reply to  @ george m w's post |  #13

Yeah Ebay it. You'd be amazed how valuable your crap is to others.

Collin85
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 01, 2011 19:18 |  #14

Alright guys, I'll eBay it. Unfortunately the Canon guy didn't give me a quote on how much it would take to fix it.

Shutter count is roughly 18,000. The camera actually turns on, I can see SOME of the icons on the top LCD light up (and some of the buttons work). Just that nothing happens when you press the shutter button.

Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 01, 2011 22:06 |  #15

It would save you a few bucks as a trade in on a refurb 5DII for Canon's loyalty trade in program, I imagine.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

3,917 views & 0 likes for this thread, 17 members have posted to it.
Selling dead 5D
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.