Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 00:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

$3/head for preschool/daycare photography?

Inqe
MacGyver of wedding photography assistants
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 02, 2011 00:14 |  #1

So, long-story-short, I'm an unemployed..,trying to be self-employed photographer and I've returned to school full time to obtain my bachelors. So, very now and then I troll around Craigslist trying to find photography gigs. I found one where a lady was looking for a tog that has all of their on gear and lights etc...but she provides all of the props (it's "vintage" school portraits) the costumes, classic tricycle, old books, a bench, feathered boa's, flower headbands and hats for the girls, newsboy hats for the boys, airplanes, baseballs and mits, and tons more...an suv full of props and clothing...etc, etc.

Well, she wants to pay $3 per kid. She expects at least 4 different poses incorporating the props in every photo.

I've worked a few times for her now and her "system" is beyond inexplicable and there really is no process. After working my ass of and, much like weddings, shot straight for 6 hours with no bathroom break, nothing to eat or drink, on my knees the entire time...my knees are literally bruised, bloodied and the skin worn off to the point I have this gaping, oozing hole where a knee skin should be!

At the end of this past two days I did the math and because of how inefficient the process is, we we're supposed to photograph about 90 kids and ended up only shooting maybe 55 kids. Like, 25 one day and about 30 the next day...so, I will have earned $150 for 12 hours of work and sweat and blood and risking my own gear, use my own batteries, use my own CF cards...etc.

Sigh...am I a sucker or is this really how this is supposed to work?

:eek: I can't believe after ALL these years, I finally have a 5D MKII!!! It's glorious! It's MY PRECIOUS!!:cool:
40D-Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Lensbaby 2.0, 580EX, 550EX, PW's.
www.FortuitousPhotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,313 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 02, 2011 00:23 |  #2

It sounds like she needs to stick a camera on a short tripod and teach one of the kids to push the shutter button on command.

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 02, 2011 00:38 |  #3

mike_d wrote in post #13193503 (external link)
It sounds like she needs to stick a camera on a short tripod and teach one of the kids to push the shutter button on command.

Hahahahahaha! Great idea!

:eek: I can't believe after ALL these years, I finally have a 5D MKII!!! It's glorious! It's MY PRECIOUS!!:cool:
40D-Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Lensbaby 2.0, 580EX, 550EX, PW's.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 02, 2011 09:57 |  #4

Inqe wrote in post #13193485 (external link)

Sorry, it's likely the former, unless you're going to go hungry next week without that $150.

Charge an hourly rate that makes it worth your time and skill and equipment. If she wants lots of posing and props and stuff, it'll take more time and she'll pay more. If she wants inexpensive, she's going to have to hustle the kids through real quick-like.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

PhotosGuy
75,826 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 02, 2011 10:06 |  #5

Well, she wants to pay $3 per kid. She expects at least 4 different poses incorporating the props in every photo.

Geez! I charged $2 for a B&W print of one pose 46 years ago. Inflation would kick that up to about $15 today.
Just because she wanted to pay $3 per kid, doesn't mean that you shouldn't have tried to negotiate a higher price, or maybe asked for the rights to sell additional prints for the grandparents, etc?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

hawkeye63
21 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 02, 2011 11:14 |  #6

You can try to negotiate a better deal for yourself but honestly, if that's all she's willing to pay and you say no thanks, she'll likely be able to find someone who will say yes. And that is the problem...

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 02, 2011 11:36 |  #7

hawkeye63 wrote in post #13194693 (external link)
You can try to negotiate a better deal for yourself but honestly, if that's all she's willing to pay and you say no thanks, she'll likely be able to find someone who will say yes. And that is the problem...

Yeppers! You're right and that's pretty much what happened. I tried to explain and offer up some really simple ideas that would speed up the process and make it more efficient so it wouldn't be so disorganized, messy and physically destructive. She told me that she wasn't going to change anything and that we aren't a good fit for one another and should just part ways.

Hahahahahha. Ok!

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,313 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 02, 2011 11:49 |  #8

Inqe wrote in post #13194777 (external link)
Yeppers! You're right and that's pretty much what happened. I tried to explain and offer up some really simple ideas that would speed up the process and make it more efficient so it wouldn't be so disorganized, messy and physically destructive. She told me that she wasn't going to change anything and that we aren't a good fit for one another and should just part ways.

Hahahahahha. Ok!

I have a (non-photography) service business and some people are just more trouble than they're worth. Its funny how as I raised my rates over the years, I would up getting rid of people who complained about my cheaper rates and replaced them with people who were more than happy to pay the higher one.

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,359 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 03, 2011 08:38 |  #9

Inqe wrote in post #13193485 (external link)

At the end of this past two days I did the math and because of how inefficient the process is, we we're supposed to photograph about 90 kids and ended up only shooting maybe 55 kids. Like, 25 one day and about 30 the next day...so, I will have earned $150 for 12 hours of work and sweat and blood and risking my own gear, use my own batteries, use my own CF cards...etc.

Two questions...

Did you have something better (income-wise, since you are unemployed) to do those two days? Even at only $150 for 12 hours you made significantly more than a minimum wage job would have paid.

Who is selling the prints to parents, you or her? If it's you, then your final income hasn't been determined yet. If it's her then...

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 03, 2011 09:12 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Is it better to be unemployed with no money, or employed with $150.00?

Sure, it's miles from being an ideal situation, but the alternative to not shooting for her is to be still unemployed.

Try to make the process more efficient. Show her how you can make it better, and then show her how much more money she can be making by letting you put your process in place. Then hit her with the idea of paying you more. If she says yes, cool. If she says no, you can either continue with the inefficient process or walk. If you walk, she'll likely realize how much more she made with you being there and agree to paying you more...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 03, 2011 10:05 |  #11

Why would you even consider a job that pays so little?
Honestly, I wouldn't even get out of bed for that amount of money.

Just walk away and let some other idiot waste their time.
And try to find your gigs somewhere other than CL. That place is by definition, the bottom of the barrel. Both the services wanted, and those being offered.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2011 10:09 |  #12

quiksquirrel wrote in post #13198472 (external link)
Why would you even consider a job that pays so little?
Honestly, I wouldn't even get out of bed for that amount of money.

Really easy to say when the fridge is full and rent is paid.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 03, 2011 10:20 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

tkbslc wrote in post #13198487 (external link)
Really easy to say when the fridge is full and rent is paid.

^^^^^
THAT...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 03, 2011 13:29 as a reply to  @ BreitlingFan's post |  #14

I think several posters have already hit the nail on the head - how important is the $150 to you? If it means the difference between paying the bills and not paying the bills (or eating and not eating), then I'd swallow my pride and take the job. If the money isn't that important, then I'd pass on busting my butt that hard for 150 bucks. That sum of money means a lot to some people, but is a pittance to others. It's all about your personal perspective.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

nrowensby
Goldmember
3,995 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 03, 2011 13:31 |  #15

Veemac wrote in post #13199443 (external link)
I think several posters have already hit the nail on the head - how important is the $150 to you? If it means the difference between paying the bills and not paying the bills (or eating and not eating), then I'd swallow my pride and take the job. If the money isn't that important, then I'd pass on busting my butt that hard for 150 bucks. That sum of money means a lot to some people, but is a pittance to others. It's all about your personal perspective.

+1... I have been in both positions.

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

sponsored links

3,166 views & 0 likes for this thread
$3/head for preschool/daycare photography?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.