Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Sep 2011 (Friday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a suggestion for a sling-style bag

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 30, 2011 13:11 |  #1

I've looked all over and all of the sling style bags have a small access panel for the camera, but it looks like if you want to get to the lenses you have to still set the bag down.

The problem is that I need something I can get into quickly and easily to swap lenses. Usually at an event or a shoot I would have the camera already out and on a sling strap going the other direction I want to be able to swing the bag around, pop off the lens on the camera and set it in the bag, remove the new lens and place it on the camera, zip the bag up, slide it back and shoot.

Does anyone have a bag that this works out well on? I considered the LowePro Passport but it would flop around to the front while kneeling or leaning forward. The LowePro Slingshot (and the knockoffs) have a nice strap that prevents this, but by the look of it you have to remove the bag to safely get to the lenses.

Does anyone know of a bag that would be more appropriate for this type of use?

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
h1r0ll3r
248 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 30, 2011 13:37 |  #2

I know you were looking for a sling bag but how about a Tamrac Evolution 8 (backpack). It's pretty small, compared to other bags, and works as both a sling and backpack with their snazzy strap system. To get the camera out, you swing the bag one way, if you want access to lenses, you simply swing the bag the other way. I had a 202 AW but didn't like having to stop and take the sling off in order to get to the lenses. I like the Evo 8 a lot better since I can do this without having to stop all the time. Just a thought.

Canon T3i [Gripped]
17-55
| 55-250 MKII | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye HD | 430 EX II

janner
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 02, 2011 01:01 |  #3

Lowepro Classified Sling will do it for you. It works for me.

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 03, 2011 02:33 |  #4

Incase Dslr sling does exactly what your looking to do, wish I had found it years ago. Only problem IME is it won' fit a gripped body/1 series, the flip side(which I'd rather have) is it stays nice and slim.

Christian.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 03, 2011 06:42 |  #5

I have the Passport bag, and if the strap is too long, it does get floppy, but if you make it shorter, it should be easier to keep in place. Also, I looked at several sling bags and non do what my Kata Torso bag is the best for getting to the gear and not having to take the bag off. This bag looks like body armor, but it is what I take if I'm in the city.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 03, 2011 12:08 |  #6

Thanks Suzie. The Kata torso bag is so easy to work out of as well. Great shooter's bag. I sometimes wear it as a sling...it's so comfortable, and I can't see it then. ;)
DaveL

Dave

2DBs
140 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 03, 2011 12:51 as a reply to  @ 2mnycars's post |  #7

I used to have a Tamrac Velocity 6x which was good for 2 lenses & a non-gripped body. It was really easy to use the sling bag for support while changing lenses. Quality of this bag was really good too. Unfortunately I couldn't use this bag once I upgraded to a 1D body.

Brian
5D Mark III | 24-105 F4L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 35 1.4 | 100 2.8 | 580EX II | 430EX

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 03, 2011 12:57 |  #8

What about the think tank Retrospective® 10 (Black) or the Retrospective® Lens Changer?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 03, 2011 14:25 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #9

Thanks for all the input. You have all given me something to think about. I've looked at the Classified and it appears a bit more bulky than I want. It also lacks a strap to keep it in place on my back when kneeling and leaning forward. The Retrospective appears to be more of a shoulder than a sling which would give me a lot of trouble trying to keep it in place. The Kata and the in case however seem like extremely good candidates. It's going to be tough to decide. The in-case would probably be perfect except for the lack of a strap to keep it in place while leaning forward. I like the Kata's stepped design since I have a couple short primes which would fit well at the shorter end and I only use 1 longer zoom which would fit nice at the other with my medium zoom in the middle. Of course it appears to be twice as much as the incase.

Now to decide............

Thanks!

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 03, 2011 14:43 |  #10

Have you considered a Think Tank Speed Freak or similar bag? They come in 3 sizes. Ben Jacobsen has a current review of one. Sorry no link here. Great review. It has shoulder and waist belts and would be a great working bag for me if I were working still. Put it on, it doesn't move.

My Domke bags have been great. They conform to the body really well. Soft sided, so stay where I put them. So functional. I use a Domke F3X and never know it's there. I have a larger bag of theirs too. F2, but don't use it as often. Consider adding a Domke Postal Pad. I work faster, better with Domke bags. Shoulder bags. But sometimes I need more padding, or think I do....

I have a Retro10 and wouldn't recommend it. Mine is the PS version. Others enjoy it. Use mine for storage, but YMMV.

edit: here's a link to Ben J's post and review...
https://photography-on-the.net …588&highlight=s​peed+demon

Dave

zetachi
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 05, 2011 10:57 |  #11

I've got the Tamrac Velocity 8x. Mine holds an Oly e-30 with 70-300 attached. No grip on it and not sure of the size of the 7D. The bag will also hold a flash plus 2 other small/mid size lenses. Mine holds 11-22 and 14-54 with no issues.

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 08, 2011 22:31 as a reply to  @ zetachi's post |  #12

I think I found something that might work. It's the lowepro inverse 200 AW. it has a strap where I can throw it over my shoulder as a sling and then I can belt it on my waist and have access to 3-4 lenses and some other goodies. The best part is that if I need more space for other lenses I can just attach a couple lowepro lens cases to the spots made for them. I messed with it in my living room and around the house and it seems like it should work well. Only time will tell. I guess if not I can just add it to my collection of unusable camera bags.....

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 08, 2011 23:26 |  #13

I second the Speed Freak. I just posted my review on it at http://1kindphotograph​y.blogspot.com …peed-freak-v20-waist.html (external link)

I'm also currently reviewing the Retrospective 10.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 09, 2011 02:36 |  #14

kfreels wrote in post #13187903 (external link)
I've looked all over and all of the sling style bags have a small access panel for the camera, but it looks like if you want to get to the lenses you have to still set the bag down.

The problem is that I need something I can get into quickly and easily to swap lenses. Usually at an event or a shoot I would have the camera already out and on a sling strap going the other direction I want to be able to swing the bag around, pop off the lens on the camera and set it in the bag, remove the new lens and place it on the camera, zip the bag up, slide it back and shoot.

Does anyone have a bag that this works out well on? I considered the LowePro Passport but it would flop around to the front while kneeling or leaning forward. The LowePro Slingshot (and the knockoffs) have a nice strap that prevents this, but by the look of it you have to remove the bag to safely get to the lenses.

Does anyone know of a bag that would be more appropriate for this type of use?

The sling-o-matic 30! It works really well. Forms a great platform to work out off when you swing it around. I can use it as a support when swung in front to shoot from or to change lenses. It has a huge capacity, but don't load it too much or you will pay with an aching shoulder ( I fitted in 3 L zooms and 2 L primes with a gripped 5D attached to a 70-200 2.8 is II).

sponsored links

2,331 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a suggestion for a sling-style bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.