Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 07 Sep 2009 (Monday) 20:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jasmine Star's style...

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 07, 2009 20:20 |  #1

I've been on POTN for a while contributing on the Small Flash and Studio lighting forum. I've learned alot, learned how to use Elinchrom strobes, Skyports and Mola beauty dishes... My pics thus far have been "model" type shoots with heavy photoshop in post.

A friend at work asked me to do a bridal shoot after her photographer shot. I did and all her friends loved the pics but someone mentioned they would use me for "pre-bridal" because my style was more a fashion style shoot, which I now realize is true. You can see the pics on my flickr. That got me mad and I started looking into wedding photography. Like many others when you search the web for popular wedding photogs, Jasmine Star comes up. I really like her style.

http://www.jasminestar​blog.com/ (external link)

Some things I've discerned from checking out her blog:

-she shoots mostly wide open for a shallow depth of field ie-50/1.2 which really isolates the subject giving a 3D feel. Something I think she got from Mike Colon. I watched his 4 day intensive dvd and she was a model in it.

-mostly natural light and very little flash. From watching Colon's dvd, in terms of flash, he sparingly uses an on camera Nikon speedlight but avoids it in favor of hi iso, wide aperture and ambient light.

-skies are usually overexposed because she doesn't believe in fill flash outdoors. She exposes for the subject so the skies get blown out. However, after looking at many of her pics the blown out skies look simple and nice. Kinda like a hi key background.

-she likes bright colorful images and probably significant sharpening in photoshop. I find it hard to believe that an L lens alone can render the sharpness seen in her images

-her greatest strength- she's able to get true emotions and generate genuine smiles in her subjects

I'm going to be shooting a friend's wedding (less than 50 people) in November and it seems like Jasmine Star's clean, simple style would make the bride and groom happy. Anyone else care to opine on her techniques?

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 07, 2009 20:42 |  #2

Jasmine's a great friend and an incredible photographer/businessw​oman to look up to :D She's one of those people that if she liked yogurt, she'd have the #1 yogurt place in all the world...

Bobby

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

pnmd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 07, 2009 20:55 |  #3

bnlearle wrote in post #8601920 (external link)
Jasmine's a great friend and an incredible photographer/businessw​oman to look up to :D She's one of those people that if she liked yogurt, she'd have the #1 yogurt place in all the world...

Bobby

Bobby, I've been checking out pics on here and I really like your style. Your pics have a unique feel which is not forced or overdone, just right. Very elegant and timeless- instant keepsakes.

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

DanielSPhoto
646 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 29, 2011 04:44 |  #4

sammyk wrote in post #13180732 (external link)
I think that when you book a photographer, you can request a certain star style (external link) of photograhy you prefer, and if they are truly a professional, they will stick with that. Keep in mind, photos are going to be your lasting memory of your wedding..! For me, spending a little more on photography was not a big sacrifice for me, b/c I know we will cerish those pictures for a long time coming.

With Jasmine Star, maybe she has associate photographers she deals with, so you can get someone that has similar style/background, without breaking the bank. You should contact her, and find out! :)

I disagree with you on this one. There are lots of wedding photographers to choose from. Everyone have a somewhat different style. Some have several styles to choose from maybe. But the client can never decide which style the photographer should shoot with. If they don´t like a certain photographers style, then choose another one.

It´s like telling a rock musician to play hip-hop instead because you like hip-hop.

Of course you should listen to your clients and what they need and want, but I wouldn´t change my style to look like someones elses style to please a client.
I would want clients who choose me because they like my style of photography.

But that´s my opinion.

Best regards/Daniel

Daniel Skilberg Photo
My Website (external link)
My Facebook site (external link)
Canon 1D MK3, Canon 60D, Canon EF-S 18-135, Canon EF 85mm USM f1,8, Canon EF 70-200 f4 USM

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,384 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 29, 2011 06:40 |  #5

I think she is a better business woman than photographer. There are certainly more creative photographers out there. Just my opinion.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 29, 2011 07:22 |  #6

scorpio_e wrote in post #13181073 (external link)
I think she is a better business woman than photographer. There are certainly more creative photographers out there. Just my opinion.

No disrespect to Jasmine or those who like her, but this has always been my view, too, and I've already heard it shared by many others as well.

She does good work, she's a good photographer, has a good eye, and gets the most out of her subjects. And while not every photographer can do all or even any of these things, a very large bunch of other photographers can. It's her business skills that have allowed her to set herself from the pack.

Please understand, I am not criticizing her work, I'm recognizing her business acumen.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 29, 2011 08:31 |  #7

Find. Your. Own. Voice.

Sydney Wedding Photography (external link) | High resolution images delivered in 30 days

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 29, 2011 09:33 |  #8

dche5390 wrote in post #13181366 (external link)
Find. Your. Own. Voice.

Shouldn't that be Vision? :)

Seriously though I have to agree. Define your own style rather than trying to imitate. In my opinion it is one of the most important things. Saying that though it may take a while for you to figure you what your style is.

Personally mine is evolving all the time. I did some edits to an album design from February this year today and boy I have changed since then in just seven months.

Peter

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,016 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 29, 2011 09:40 |  #9

bnlearle wrote in post #8601920 (external link)

Bobby

Thats a great connection for you. She does nice work. Looked through her blog and she is very creative. Definately has a great female perspective. Sounds like a great gal and I like her work as well as yours alot. First time ive heard of her and i like what i see alot.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 29, 2011 09:47 |  #10

Thread resurrection eh? And a one about Mrs. Star at that. :lol:

scorpio_e wrote in post #13181073 (external link)

This. Not to say she's not a very good photographer, because she is. But I think she's a FAR better business woman and that is what counts when you are trying to make money doesn't it? :)

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,384 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 29, 2011 11:14 |  #11

nicksan wrote in post #13181747 (external link)
Thread resurrection eh? And a one about Mrs. Star at that. :lol:

This. Not to say she's not a very good photographer, because she is. But I think she's a FAR better business woman and that is what counts when you are trying to make money doesn't it? :)

ABSOLUTELY NO doubt about her ability to brand herself and make money.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 29, 2011 11:33 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #12

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #13181672 (external link)
Shouldn't that be Vision? :)

Seriously though I have to agree. Define your own style rather than trying to imitate. In my opinion it is one of the most important things. Saying that though it may take a while for you to figure you what your style is.

dche5390 wrote in post #13181366 (external link)
Find. Your. Own. Voice.

While I do agree with both of you about how finding your own vision/voice is REALLY important, I have to add that I think we all imitate someone/something and especially so in the beginning. It is just part of the development process.

Finding your personal vision/voice/style is not something that is easily done and certainly doesn't happen overnight. It takes a lot of time behind the camera and eventually a style will develop but not first without pulling inspiration from someone/something else and picking and choosing what works for you. Just my opinion anyway. :)

-Dave

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 29, 2011 17:58 |  #13

Peacefield wrote in post #13181166 (external link)
No disrespect to Jasmine or those who like her, but this has always been my view, too, and I've already heard it shared by many others as well.

She does good work, she's a good photographer, has a good eye, and gets the most out of her subjects. And while not every photographer can do all or even any of these things, a very large bunch of other photographers can. It's her business skills that have allowed her to set herself from the pack.

Please understand, I am not criticizing her work, I'm recognizing her business acumen.

This, completely. I walked into WPPI last year and spotted her, out of everyone else in the room. My eyes ZOOMED to Jasmine Star. Mind you, I'm not much of a stalker of other photographers but I had checked out Jasmine's website and she does something that's so brilliant but something not everyone can pull off- she shows a video of herself when you first go to her website. It creates a "celebrity" feel. Seeing that video ONCE made it so I recognized her in a crowded convention hall. She just seems to exude charisma which is not something you can train yourself to have, IMO. Look her name on up on Twitter and quite often you'll see posts of brides RAVING that they just booked Jasmine Star to be at their weddings. Not to shoot their wedding (though that's what she'll do) but BE at her wedding. Brides want HER almost as much, if not more than, her photos.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 02, 2011 08:47 |  #14

Shooting a wedding on a 50mm at 1.2 is a bit risky. But I like sharp images.

Chris Giles Photography

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,069 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 13, 2011 08:11 |  #15

I'm not even close to being in the same league as the experienced photogs around here so I can't really say that she is an OK photographer and a better business person. For my level her images look pretty good to me.

From a business point no one seemed to disagree that she has done a great job marketing herself. I did have one thought on that. Just her name alone must help tremendously. I find it intriguing to put it one way. It would take a guess it stands out on a list. Sometimes it a culmination of many things that just fall into that correct alignment to propel things forward.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

9,092 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jasmine Star's style...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.