Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 02 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First air show

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 02, 2011 11:47 |  #1

Really was undergunned for this type of photography, 200mm was not enough for the in-flight shots so lots of cropping to get it closer. The guy sitting in front of me had a 400mm and that looked like a good lens for this.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i891.photobucke​t.com …rodes/Sports/Ha​rrier1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i891.photobucke​t.com …es/Sports/BlueA​ngels1.jpg (external link)

http://i891.photobucke​t.com …es/Sports/BlueA​ngels3.jpg (external link)

This was a 700mph pass just under the speed of sound, amazing I even got the shot as it was hard to keep this plane in the viewfinder as it passed by.

http://i891.photobucke​t.com …s/Sports/Soundb​arrier.jpg (external link)

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,887 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 02, 2011 11:50 |  #2

Good shots.

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/PhotosGuy/Forum%20Junk/Welcome-ChargerRT_020.gif

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 02, 2011 11:55 |  #3

It was a nice day for an airshow... not as hot as it was in August for NAS Miramar, and not cold and windy... Nice pix.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

WingsofFury
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 02, 2011 12:01 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #4

Hi there, thank you for sharing your air show shots - looks like Miramar was sunny!

400mm is a great length for shooting airshows and I along with many others find that the 100-400mm offers the versatility that comes with shooting shows.

As well, I wouldn't put too much thought into cropping shots. I used to shoot at 300mm and cropped quite a few of my photos when I thought that the picture needed some more attention to detail.

Remember as well that some of the best shots aren't the extreme close ups, but the panorama's that show vapour trails or smoke going through the sky or against a puffy white cloud bank.

Cheers, and enjoy shooting!

Attila P.

tsong
266 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 02, 2011 12:25 |  #5

Nice shots! I saw at least 3 guys within my area all with some sort of 1D and some super extreme tele lol Sadly , I only had my 50 on my 40D, not even close. And it's MCAS Miramar just so you know, it's been under Marine hands for years now lol

T2i4me
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 02, 2011 15:48 |  #6

Yes it was perfect weather at Miramar, and the crowd was not bad on Friday, only an hour to get out of the base afterward. I am now jonesing for a 100-400 looks to be an affordable lens for daytime sports and nature.

Thanks Wingsoffury for the pointers, here are a few uncropped shots and the lens that made me drool, would love to see what his shots looked like.

http://i891.photobucke​t.com …es/Sports/BlueA​ngels6.jpg (external link)

http://i891.photobucke​t.com …es/Sports/Jetin​clouds.jpg (external link)

This was way cool!

http://i891.photobucke​t.com …Sports/Groundat​tack-1.jpg (external link)

http://i891.photobucke​t.com …trodes/Sports/B​iglens.jpg (external link)

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 02, 2011 23:31 |  #7

Nice one of the Harrier.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 03, 2011 11:28 |  #8

I am not a big fan of the big fixed lenses for airshows at less. When I try to capture the crossing shoots I pull back to around 300mm or so. You will never capture it with the 400mm.

rammsteinmatt
260 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 03, 2011 20:08 |  #9

seaninsa wrote in post #13198868 (external link)
I am not a big fan of the big fixed lenses for airshows at less. When I try to capture the crossing shoots I pull back to around 300mm or so. You will never capture it with the 400mm.

Nor was I... I used to have 2 bodies lensed up and ready to shoot, a 70-200 mounted and a 200-400 mounted. This year I got a new body and am not super fond of my backup body, so I didnt mount anything on it. Using only the 200-400 i forced myself to focus on the real subject, take more risks missing frames, and do some of my cropping in the lens rather in PS. What happened? I throw a hell of a lot of pictures away. At miramar I threw 3300 of 3800 on the first pass through my pictures, Reno 2500 of 3800 on the first pass, etc... What I was left with was amazing, from my perspective. I had forced myself to look at airplanes differently. I would have normally zoomed out, and gotten the whole B-25 in the frame at Camarillo, but since I could only zoom out to 200mm, I had to find a creative way to frame and capture the a/c - all while it was taxiing up to me and I was quickly running out of time.

Take a risk. Whats the worst that will happen, you'll have to come back next year and try again? Wow, that'd suck since you're probably going back next year anyways...

OP, your harrier shot is pretty amazing. You'd love to see the heat distortion I got from the far west corner during the hover demonstration. Thats the case where 400mm is not the awesome place to be; you end up getting confident and shooting through 400mm zoom worth of hot air that ruins the shot. Would have loved to be in your seat with a 70-200 mounted - if i was going to do 2 days at miramar thats what i would have done, but lugging around the equipment in a backpack usually means shows are 1 day affairs.

The Shinny
Now with more elements in more groups!
Flickr (external link)

chuckie365
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 03, 2011 20:23 |  #10

Good stuff for your first show. I'd like to one day get a 500mm F4L....we can all dream right?...lol

Few Canons...few lenses...
Flickr (external link)

http://www.scapeshots.​com (external link)

T2i4me
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 03, 2011 20:41 |  #11

Thanks, as I had no idea what to expect I was learning with every click. I struggled with prop planes and the heli's as I wanted to get a nice prop blur, but ended up with th entire plane/heli blurry. So lots of room to improve but will have to wait a year to try it again. Add to the fact I want to watch the planes as well and hard to do that and shoot photos, that's why I did not get many of Sean Tucker as I watched with my mouth open.......Really need to go for 2 days to do it all.

-- Eric --

sponsored links

3,729 views & 0 likes for this thread
First air show
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.