Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on Photo editing

FuzzyPic
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 01, 2011 17:39 |  #1

Is the program GIMP worth playing with? I have never used anything to clean up or manipulate photo's before, I think I am ready to try. I am only playing with point and shoot cameras, and have always taken my photo's at face value. I have captured some really nice pics that may be worthy of a pro touch, so I would like to try. I just don't want to pop a lot of money yet till I see how serious I am.
I have seen some spectacular photo's on this site. Were they shot the way they are published, or are they cleaned up?
Depending how involved I get, may lead me to a nice DSLR as I am sitting on the fence at the moment.
Any advice is welcome, I am not photo tech savy, so simplicity is key.

sponsored links
Ranast
27 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 01, 2011 17:46 |  #2

Gimp is certainly a good program and it is free. Having said that, like photoshop, it isn't the simplest program to learn to use (and that is coming from someone who has used photoshop for several years).

A better alternative if you are a novice at photo editing is something like photoshop elements. It has a great deal of the capabilities of photoshop without the price and steep learning curve - you can probably find a copy for $80 to $100. It is worth checking out.

Most photos you see on any site have usually been altered at least a little for exposure compensation, white balance, etc. Some photos have been altered a great deal, just depends on the photographer and the purpose (art or photo journalism).

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 01, 2011 18:40 as a reply to  @ Ranast's post |  #3

GIMP is powerful and a great way to learn the concept of layers and masking etc.

Considering it's free and there's heaps of how-to literature out there on the web, it's hard to recommend anything else for a beginner.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

FuzzyPic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 01, 2011 19:04 as a reply to  @ SOK's post |  #4

Thanks for the responses, I do have an older version of Photo Shop (7) on my laptop, but I feel it maybe out dated for the modern cameras, even a point and shoot. I recently bought a Canon Elph 310, so I may look into the GIMP program for the more recent enhancements.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 02, 2011 01:48 |  #5

Well, there are a few things to consider:

Most people coming from Point and Shoot and compact digicams are likely shooting jpegs. As a result, realize that your images have already been "processed" by your camera. You can benefit from some "post processing", but in general, the lesser the better!

As a person gets more "serious", then there are several fundamental areas where it's natural to get drawn into: one is the fundamentals of photography, where you learn to, as much as possible to "get it right in-camera", one is in being able to "nail" photographs that are inherently difficult to do -- things like lighting and subject movement and you learn to spend "obscene" amounts of money on cameras and lenses and such, and then one is in the Digital Darkroom, where you learn to take your photos and "massage" them in order to bring out "the best"...

You say you have been using PS7, which, if you've been shooting jpegs, actually may be great for you, until and unless you want to go into some unexplored territory, such as shooting Raw, or maybe in the sophisticated features of layers and masks that Elements can introduce you to.

So...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

FuzzyPic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 02, 2011 13:23 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #6

Tonylong, I am wanting more from my photography, due to the activity based nature of my pictures, carrying large cameras and multiple lenses is somewhat out of the question. What I did not realize is the formats of point and shoots greatly reduce the manipulation of photos. And for the most part I am OK with that, but if I can clean up and enhance the "effect" of certain pictures would be the goal. I have no interest of being a "professional" or making a living at it, just a hobby (to go with the rest of them). I will give you a few shots that looked like they had merit when I took them, however they are all done in "auto" mode so I could have done better right off the bat. I think I may have found one of the best resources in this site that will take to a new level.

To me this one depicted a mysterious rider on the hill.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i90.photobucket​.com …/BaJa_Mike/IMG_​1180-1.jpg (external link)

Old newspaper used as insulation in an old cabin

http://i90.photobucket​.com …79/BaJa_Mike/IM​G_1226.jpg (external link)

This still my favorite from a "quality level"

http://i90.photobucket​.com …79/BaJa_Mike/IM​G_0230.jpg (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 02, 2011 16:04 |  #7

Hey, FuzzyPic!

It's hard to know what to say from here!

The second two of your shots really need no comment, nice ones and only you can determine if there is anything you can do to "enhance" them, but really no particular need!

The first one, the "rider on a trail", is going to have to be either one that "speaks" to you or not. I don't think that as an overall image it will do much for anyone else unless they picture themselves as that "rider on the trail", and I don't know what you might do about that as far as the overall image...but you could play around.

You know, it reminds me of a shot I've kept from the film days, one that I got scrambling around in the desert in Southern California, hand-held, so obviously not good from a "technical" point of view...but the scene was cool, and I composed this branch in silhouette in the foreground. I don't even recall if I was very aware of the rock climbers in the background, but it's cool that they are there and have their own "story":

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 02, 2011 17:11 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #8

I do have an older version of Photo Shop (7) on my laptop, but I feel it maybe out dated for the modern cameras

Shoot RAW and DPP + PS 7 will take you a long way for zero $.

Richard
Gear

FuzzyPic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 02, 2011 18:39 as a reply to  @ Frugal's post |  #9

Tony, first impression of the pic gives me the feeling that some unexplained phenomenon is about to happen to the climbers, one running across the top to help his buddy still climbing, very sci-fi. I will keep working on this, I am going to grab some random shots and play around with the editing program. Thanks for the encouragement and help.

sponsored links

1,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice on Photo editing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.