Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 02 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 16:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question for you guys who shoot with primes

MattD
944 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 02, 2011 16:41 |  #1

So, I'm no wedding photographer, but a keen amateur who's interested.

Over the weekend I was looking at reviews of the 35L, and one thing that kept being mentioned was that it a favourite lens for wedding photographer, and as someone who mostly uses primes myself (for slow moving objects) I thought this was slightly odd because I know how slow thay can be making focus, and there's a lot that problem of not being close enough, or even being to far away.

So I realise this sounds a like a pretty strange question, but do you guys who shoot primes have any tips on picking the right lens for the task, and making sure you have nailed focus.... and how often do you miss that candid moment that you probably would have gotten with a fast zoom like the 24-70 or even the 70-200?

Flickr (external link).
500PX (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 02, 2011 16:47 |  #2

I think it's just a matter of getting used to the focal lengths and knowing when to use them. I haven't used my 24-70L at all for the last several weddings, and even before that, I sparingly used it. I use the 70-200 often times however, especially at the ceremony.

I prefer the 24L over the 35L. Can't really explain why. I just like the 24mm focal length better. To me 35mm, is kinda like a "meh" focal length. I've also got the 50L and that spreads the focal lengths out pretty good...24L and 50L. Then I have the 85 1.8, 100L macro, and the 135L.

But sometimes, keeping it simple is better. :)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,909 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 02, 2011 17:37 |  #3

I have been pining for the 35 as well but the more I read about the 24 the more I am thinking about it. It could double as a landscape lens as well. I know that people like wider ones for landscapes but personally I find 24 pretty decent on a FF for that.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 02, 2011 19:06 |  #4

In my blog where I give tips on how I shoot weddings, I list the lenses I pack with me during different parts of the day.

http://redtiephotograp​hy.wordpress.com …edding-warning-long-post/ (external link)

Also, you mention missing moments rather than using a fast zoom - all my primes are faster then my zooms.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,909 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 02, 2011 19:15 |  #5

Thanks. I'll give this a read first thing tomorrow.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 02, 2011 20:16 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #6

I shoot with primes for a good portion of the day. But I also keep a good stock of zooms too. There are primes that focus well and some that aren't quite as good. I HATE the 35mm length (on fullframe). So it's all really up to personal preference or style. When I feel like I can get a little creative or artistic I use the primes. But the fact of the matter is, the overhwelming majority of the photos we take at weddings are documentary in nature and don't need to be artistic.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 02, 2011 21:33 |  #7

picturecrazy wrote in post #13196475 (external link)
But the fact of the matter is, the overhwelming majority of the photos we take at weddings are documentary in nature and don't need to be artistic.

so very true! :confused:

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 02, 2011 22:24 |  #8

Love shooting with the 35 on one body and the 70-200 or the 135 on another. 24 just felt too wide for my taste.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 02, 2011 23:39 |  #9

gh patriot wrote in post #13196948 (external link)
Love shooting with the 35 on one body and the 70-200 or the 135 on another. 24 just felt too wide for my taste.

Me too. I LOVE the 35. Personal preference obviously.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 03, 2011 02:24 |  #10

I never use the 35L for weddings.

Chris Giles Photography

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 03, 2011 06:42 |  #11

I use the 35L quite a bit; never found it to be a slow focuser; usually quite fast and accurate.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 03, 2011 08:56 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #12

Love my 35L as well...I use it more than any other lens. I would not say that it is slow by any means...it focuses quickly and accurately enough for me. Unfortunately, I dropped mine at a wedding last weekend, it's off at CPS for a repair.

However, like Nick said. The lenses (especially the high end versions) are more than capable in performance...it's really just a matter of knowing what lens will work best for a given situation.

-Dave

Christina
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 03, 2011 09:39 as a reply to  @ helloagain36's post |  #13

I thought this was slightly odd because I know how slow thay can be making focus

Depends on the lens. My 100mm macro can be slow, but otherwise I think overall my primes focus faster. The 35L, I think, is one of the best. I have only been using it for about a month, but I LOVE it. I love the combo of 35 on full frame and 50 on crop.

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link)
Syncopated Pictures (external link)
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/ (external link)

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 03, 2011 10:57 |  #14

Last week must have been a global week for dropping lenses and equipment failures because I dropped my 35L and 16-35L last week and a mirror fell out of my 5D on the same day. I have never dropped a lens before.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 03, 2011 11:31 |  #15

form wrote in post #13198720 (external link)
Last week must have been a global week for dropping lenses and equipment failures because I dropped my 35L and 16-35L last week and a mirror fell out of my 5D on the same day. I have never dropped a lens before.

Bummer Joey. I had never dropped a lens before either...I'll never forget the sound. :(

-Dave

sponsored links

3,346 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question for you guys who shoot with primes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.