Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 14:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fish eye help : Peleng vs Samyang

gaveeno
50 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 02, 2011 14:55 |  #1

I really want a fish eye lense and both the Peleng +Samyang 8mm f3.5 seem to be in the right price range. After looking on youtube videos the Peleng seems to have better disortion and gives a more fishy effect compared to what I've seen with the Samyang. However, I've heard that the Samyang has better flare control and the image quality interms of sharpness is better.

I'm torn between the wider fishy effect of the Peleng and the Samyang's image quality. Does anyone know if the image quality is that much greater between the Samyang and Peleng if they're actually similar I think I'll be getting the Peleng. :mad:

Wish List - Canon 5d + 35 1.4 L + 85 1.2 L
http://www.gavinli.co.​uk/ (external link)

sponsored links
G.P.
145 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 02, 2011 16:40 |  #2

I've tried both and got the Samyang, WAY sharper, no annoying black ring around your pictures, and the samyang is just a much more modern lens. The peleng is better on full frame but you can shave the hood on the samyang and it works fine on full frame as well.
The samyang works really well as a landscape lens but it still has the extreme distortion you want.

Both these are with the samyang:

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5201/5334002653_4caa93a28e.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6063/6073257200_7cbcc4c47d.jpg

Rebel XS - 18-55is - 50 1.8 - Helios 44-2 - Samyang 8mm - Samyang 85mm 1.4 - YN-460-ii x2 - YN-467 - 285HV - Sunpak 120C
Flickr (external link)

gaveeno
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 03, 2011 11:01 |  #3

Just wondering how the Samyang is for portraits and if you have any examples. Also is it still wide on a crop body?

G.P.
145 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 03, 2011 14:07 |  #4

Yes it is extremely wide on a crop body, I will try and find some people portraits, but its only good if you want the extreme effect in your portraits.

Rebel XS - 18-55is - 50 1.8 - Helios 44-2 - Samyang 8mm - Samyang 85mm 1.4 - YN-460-ii x2 - YN-467 - 285HV - Sunpak 120C
Flickr (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 03, 2011 14:52 |  #5

Usually, portraits and fish eye lenses don't get along very well - unless you want extreme distortions with your portraits.

gaveeno
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 04, 2011 14:59 |  #6

I've just been looking at some examples of portraits and landscape photos from the Samyang and I'm so impressed I've already ordered one, should be coming either tomorrow or next day! I understand why portraits and fish eyes don't gel well but I love the mega disorted look, its fun and quirky.

frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 05, 2011 18:06 as a reply to  @ gaveeno's post |  #7

Samyang produces some nice wide pictures. If your looking for good quality, wide, distorted pictures, it's the way to go.

I opted for the [admittedly lower IQ and clunkier] Peleng because I wanted a circular fisheye. While the Peleng is not a perfect 180 circle, it is very close (the Samyang is not).

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 05, 2011 18:18 |  #8

The Peleng was designed as a circular fisheye for film cameras, but its 25mm image circle is just too large to fit completely inside the frame. However, many users of APS-C cameras have found it only needs a slight crop to provide a rectangular fisheye image on that format. The Samyang is designed as a rectangular fisheye for crop cameras and its hood will prevent you getting a circular field on larger formats.

Because third-party lens manufacturers design to accommodate Nikon's slightly larger sensor, you don't get the full 180 degrees on the Canon sensor with the Samyang, or Sigma or Tokina offerings - it comes out at 167 degrees. That's one area where the Peleng wins, because you crop it down to get the full 180 degrees. It's by far the cheapest way to do it, your other options being to crop the image from the Sigma 8mm, or to use the new (expensive) Canon 8-15mm f/4L fisheye zoom.

Mark.

sponsored links

3,291 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fish eye help : Peleng vs Samyang
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.