Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 00:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

$3/head for preschool/daycare photography?

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 03, 2011 15:37 |  #16

tkbslc wrote in post #13198487 (external link)
Really easy to say when the fridge is full and rent is paid.

True to some extend.

But had this been a thread about some random dude on CL, advertising portraits for $3 a pop, everyone would have been all over it, saying how guys like that, **** up the business for the rest of us.

Double standards are fun aren't they :rolleyes:

sponsored links
Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 03, 2011 16:40 |  #17

Inqe, I'm looking at your website. There's room for improvement, but you're worth more than $3 a pop.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
MacGyver of wedding photography assistants
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 03, 2011 16:41 |  #18

mbellot wrote in post #13198054 (external link)
Two questions...

Did you have something better (income-wise, since you are unemployed) to do those two days? Even at only $150 for 12 hours you made significantly more than a minimum wage job would have paid.

Who is selling the prints to parents, you or her? If it's you, then your final income hasn't been determined yet. If it's her then...

No, I didn't have anything really better. That's why I took the job. You have a very good point for sure! I am, by no means, turning my nose up at earning a $1! I really just wondered what the industry standard was for this kind of thing as I feel like I'm getting "fleeced" per se. Mostly because she "sold" me on the job by stating I'd make about $200-$300 per shoot. But, it turns out, this has only happened once and the conditions were ideal. She also said I would only have to "show up and shoot". So far, it's been MUCH more than just shooting.

I know...I completely realize where you're going. As I said, I am just exploring whether or not this is a good situation or would I be better off doing something else.

Oh and she does the selling. She won't disclose how much she sells...I've asked.

:eek: I can't believe after ALL these years, I finally have a 5D MKII!!! It's glorious! It's MY PRECIOUS!!:cool:
40D-Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Lensbaby 2.0, 580EX, 550EX, PW's.
www.FortuitousPhotogra​phy.com (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 03, 2011 17:08 |  #19

Inqe wrote in post #13200445 (external link)
No, I didn't have anything really better. That's why I took the job. You have a very good point for sure! I am, by no means, turning my nose up at earning a $1! I really just wondered what the industry standard was for this kind of thing as I feel like I'm getting "fleeced" per se. Mostly because she "sold" me on the job by stating I'd make about $200-$300 per shoot. But, it turns out, this has only happened once and the conditions were ideal. She also said I would only have to "show up and shoot". So far, it's been MUCH more than just shooting.

I know...I completely realize where you're going. As I said, I am just exploring whether or not this is a good situation or would I be better off doing something else.

Oh and she does the selling. She won't disclose how much she sells...I've asked.

I'd recommend that you insist that she either provide the memory media or provide a computer that you can copy the files to and make her figure out how to do any post-processing. Get paid for the shoot and scram unless you can work another deal to get paid to actually make the images presentable.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 03, 2011 20:32 |  #20

Try to get an order form from the school to see what she charges. The work on taking away the account from her. After all, YOU are the photographer, not her. It's YOUR images the parents like, not hers.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

GrendelKhan
546 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 03, 2011 20:38 |  #21

Inqe wrote in post #13200445 (external link)

Copyright on the images is yours. Did you sign a release that gave her permission to sell your work? ;)

bulldogg7
469 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 03, 2011 20:56 |  #22

Sounds like you're being pimped out, you know she's making a HUGE profit from your work.

Jeff:
Junk Box
, Facebook (external link)

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 03, 2011 20:58 |  #23

bulldogg7 wrote in post #13201528 (external link)
Sounds like you're being pimped out, you know she's making a HUGE profit from your work.

Real HUGE

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2011 22:02 |  #24

Our preschool charged a whopping $15 for the print package, so I am sure it's a real goldmine on both ends.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 03, 2011 23:14 |  #25

Nathan wrote in post #13200434 (external link)
Inqe, I'm looking at your website. There's room for improvement, but you're worth more than $3 a pop.

Well....thanks! That's one of the reasons I took the job...I'm hoping to improve while getting paid. I want to be a better child photographer and thought it was a great opportunity. But, I think I'd be better off at the portrait shack at Target or wal-mart...GASP!

:eek: I can't believe after ALL these years, I finally have a 5D MKII!!! It's glorious! It's MY PRECIOUS!!:cool:
40D-Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Lensbaby 2.0, 580EX, 550EX, PW's.

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 03, 2011 23:18 |  #26

GrendelKhan wrote in post #13201440 (external link)
Copyright on the images is yours. Did you sign a release that gave her permission to sell your work? ;)

OH SNAP! I sure didn't! Not that she's had the sense to get any information from me! There's no formal hiring packet. No W2 thing to fill out...nothing was signed anywhere!

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 03, 2011 23:21 |  #27

quiksquirrel wrote in post #13200127 (external link)
True to some extend.

But had this been a thread about some random dude on CL, advertising portraits for $3 a pop, everyone would have been all over it, saying how guys like that, **** up the business for the rest of us.

Double standards are fun aren't they :rolleyes:

:cool:

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 03, 2011 23:26 |  #28

Inqe wrote in post #13193485 (external link)
So, long-story-short, I'm an unemployed..,trying to be self-employed photographer and I've returned to school full time to obtain my bachelors. So, very now and then I troll around Craigslist trying to find photography gigs. I found one where a lady was looking for a tog that has all of their on gear and lights etc...but she provides all of the props (it's "vintage" school portraits) the costumes, classic tricycle, old books, a bench, feathered boa's, flower headbands and hats for the girls, newsboy hats for the boys, airplanes, baseballs and mits, and tons more...an suv full of props and clothing...etc, etc.

Well, she wants to pay $3 per kid. She expects at least 4 different poses incorporating the props in every photo.

I've worked a few times for her now and her "system" is beyond inexplicable and there really is no process. After working my ass of and, much like weddings, shot straight for 6 hours with no bathroom break, nothing to eat or drink, on my knees the entire time...my knees are literally bruised, bloodied and the skin worn off to the point I have this gaping, oozing hole where a knee skin should be!

At the end of this past two days I did the math and because of how inefficient the process is, we we're supposed to photograph about 90 kids and ended up only shooting maybe 55 kids. Like, 25 one day and about 30 the next day...so, I will have earned $150 for 12 hours of work and sweat and blood and risking my own gear, use my own batteries, use my own CF cards...etc.

Sigh...am I a sucker or is this really how this is supposed to work?

Talk about slave wages! I wouldn't do a single pose per kid shoot with only a background and no props for $3/kid!

As mentioned earlier, unless you're desperate for that little bit of money for the amount of hard work you're doing, I'd take a walk.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 03, 2011 23:35 |  #29

You gave up the images and she gets to make all the print sells - WOW.'
Can't you cry copyright infringement or something?

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 04, 2011 00:33 |  #30

Well, of course if she is providing the clients as well as props, transportation and such, it's certainly fair and reasonable to only pay you a "cut", although after spending two days earning barely $10 per hour, now would be a good time to enter a new round of negotiations! You are providing the camera gear as well as the lighting -- in other words without someone well-equipped she'd be nowhere, which to me says you have something to negotiate with!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

3,168 views & 0 likes for this thread
$3/head for preschool/daycare photography?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.