Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 23:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CC my webpage please

brit84
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 02, 2011 23:22 |  #1

Hello folks,
I recently put together a wordpress based web page for my side business. Shot my first wedding this past summer and have had a few other sessions in the meantime.

I would appreciate comments on the site, presentation, and pricing. The site is somewhat limiting in what I can do but it works.

Thanks for helping out!

http://atomsphoto.com (external link)

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 03, 2011 01:17 |  #2

Everything on my computer looks really small. The font, the pictures. And with everything being so dark I feel like it's too much of a strain to read or look at your pictures. At a client, I'd click off pretty quickly. Your work is pretty good so you should show it off a little more. And create solid colored background, at least in the areas you have text.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 03, 2011 14:16 |  #3

I think some of the pictures are getting lost in the background. Either change the background or add a "frame" (using CSS) on each picture. I think your photos are too big for the web. Not everybody has a large monitor and somebody can print one of your pictures.

You mentioned your wedding, portraits and sports prices, but you don't list your landscape prices (I'm a landscape photographer). Are those free?

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 04, 2011 07:37 |  #4

If you're "booking wedding dates" & I go there to get wedding info, the last thing that will encourage me to think of you as a pro is to see cars at the top of the site?
And why would this shot encourage me to book you?
http://atomsphoto.com …eves-wedding-up-soon/8-3/ (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 04, 2011 10:16 |  #5

Thanks folks, I will see what I can do about the gallery image sizes and font

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 04, 2011 10:17 |  #6

PhotosGuy wrote in post #13202957 (external link)
If you're "booking wedding dates" & I go there to get wedding info, the last thing that will encourage to think of you as a pro is to see cars at the top of the site?
And why would this shot encourage me to book you?
http://atomsphoto.com …eves-wedding-up-soon/8-3/ (external link)

The wordpress site is a blog style site so when I post something new, thats what it does on the home page, but I understand what you mean.

About the picture, I don't know, It was one of the couples and their friends favourites so without further explanation I don't know what the issue is with it.

Thanks for the comments! As I mentioned, I am still learning some of the small features of wordpress.

Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

ironchef31
623 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 04, 2011 12:43 |  #7

I'm not a web designer so take my comment with a grain of salt.
I would rather see big photos of happy people instead of headlights with the page opens.

Ken
30D, 18-55mm, nifty 50, 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F2.8 IS

I tried to bounce my flash off the ceiling once. Left a mark on the ceiling and broke my flash.

Lore
Damn I failed the goat
2,961 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 04, 2011 13:00 as a reply to  @ ironchef31's post |  #8

I like the wedding photos, the car photos are great, tho I'd have them in your own personal gallery, not on your main page if you are looking to showcase and book weddings. I have a 24" monitor & I still find them abit obtrusive in size, tho that's already been mentioned. What has not been mentioned is I find the site over all hard to navigate.

Lore
flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Blography (external link)
"Every photograph tells a story, What's your story?"

kenclunk
46 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 05, 2011 12:56 |  #9

One more: the background is definitely distracting.

Ken Clunk | Director of Awesomeness | www.toomuchawesomeness​.com (external link) | ken@toomuchawesomeness​.com (external link) | 216.367.9187
5D III (x2)| 6D | 16-35 2.8 L II | 24-70 2.8 L II | 70-200 2.8 IS L II | 35 1.4 L | 45 2.8 TSE | 50 1.2 L | 85 1.2 L | 100 2.8 L | 600exrt (x5)

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 05, 2011 14:35 as a reply to  @ kenclunk's post |  #10

I really like the background!
I don't have an issue navigating at all as the various navigation pages are prominently displayed. Some of the pages, such as home, do seem a little too informative or busy though; however, a return visitor would quickly get used to it and might appreciate it.

My biggest issue is with the way photos are displayed.

1) The thumbs are a little small on the home page as showing on my 17.3in (1600 x 900) screen, given no large photos are displayed automatically.

2) The enlarged picture, after clicking on a homepage thumb, could also be slightly bigger. You should also do away with the title showing over each enlarged picture as it shows with the mouse and as folks already know from having chosen to view a certain group. Otherwise make the title smaller because it pushes the picture down, thus cutting off the bottom. That pushes the "back" and "next" thumbnails completely off the page. You may consider utilizing simple back/next arrow keys or placing the thumbs on either side of enlarged picture, versus bottom. There's plenty of room to the right as it's layed out now.

3) The enlarged pictures in the galleries are much larger than the one's on the homepage. I think they should be the same and somewhere in between the respective sizes.

4) You should do away with the drop down menu under the Gallery. Just have them enter the Gallery as they would the Weddings or Portraits. It does seem a little tacky for "Sports" and "Cars" to be displayed so pominently to the formers.

I like the site other than these few tweaks.

Good luck!

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

Journeyingjon
128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 05, 2011 15:21 |  #11

brit84 wrote in post #13203462 (external link)
The wordpress site is a blog style site so when I post something new, thats what it does on the home page, but I understand what you mean.

About the picture, I don't know, It was one of the couples and their friends favourites so without further explanation I don't know what the issue is with it.

Thanks for the comments! As I mentioned, I am still learning some of the small features of wordpress.

I've used this theme as well and you can create a static landing page as the home page, this way it doesn't change every time you post something new.

www.jonathanneufeld.co​m (external link)

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 05, 2011 19:30 |  #12

Journeyingjon wrote in post #13209739 (external link)
I've used this theme as well and you can create a static landing page as the home page, this way it doesn't change every time you post something new.

how do I do this?

Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 05, 2011 19:35 |  #13

Ralph III wrote in post #13209519 (external link)
I really like the background!
I don't have an issue navigating at all as the various navigation pages are prominently displayed. Some of the pages, such as home, do seem a little too informative or busy though; however, a return visitor would quickly get used to it and might appreciate it.

My biggest issue is with the way photos are displayed.

1) The thumbs are a little small on the home page as showing on my 17.3in (1600 x 900) screen, given no large photos are displayed automatically.

2) The enlarged picture, after clicking on a homepage thumb, could also be slightly bigger. You should also do away with the title showing over each enlarged picture as it shows with the mouse and as folks already know from having chosen to view a certain group. Otherwise make the title smaller because it pushes the picture down, thus cutting off the bottom. That pushes the "back" and "next" thumbnails completely off the page. You may consider utilizing simple back/next arrow keys or placing the thumbs on either side of enlarged picture, versus bottom. There's plenty of room to the right as it's layed out now.

3) The enlarged pictures in the galleries are much larger than the one's on the homepage. I think they should be the same and somewhere in between the respective sizes.

4) You should do away with the drop down menu under the Gallery. Just have them enter the Gallery as they would the Weddings or Portraits. It does seem a little tacky for "Sports" and "Cars" to be displayed so pominently to the formers.

I like the site other than these few tweaks.

Good luck!

Thanks, Have experienced with the pic sizes. I cant find out how to make the thumbs bigger.
For the enlarged pic, I just scaled everything to ~500x333 and agree it is a little too small now. I had them as original size before. Will try ~700

Also trying to find out how to get the pics centred.

Will get the other pics on under the main gallery, this was a quick fix to clear up the res of the menu.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

Journeyingjon
128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 05, 2011 23:50 |  #14

brit84 wrote in post #13210693 (external link)
how do I do this?

Go to your Admin page in Wordpress then "Settings" and "Reading" and where it says "Front page displays" click "A static page (select below)" then select the page you want as the main page.

www.jonathanneufeld.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

2,081 views & 0 likes for this thread
CC my webpage please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.