Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 19:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Corp

davidky
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 03, 2011 18:45 as a reply to  @ post 13200230 |  #31

I dont know where to begin...lets start with teamspeed:no being a part of cust service doesnt make you a good customer but you mentioned that you knew quite a bit about cust service.
-liar-the rep said on several occasions that he and I did not have a conversation during a specific week and I have all the dates and times in my phone log....what do you call that????
-I was already told by someone else that Ms White was the only person at corp that could resolve the issue. Why should I think someone else would be better to speak to???????????
-My age has nothing to do with it
-Why do you assume I have been rude or unprofessional or not nice to the people I have spoken with??? That usually means thats how the person making that assumption would act.
-I post this so people will know what they may encounter at Canon

HappySnapper- I have been dealing with this issue since August 30th, how long should I wait for a resolution??

I use a 100 ft cat 5 cable with a booster that converts to a usb cable. Look on cablestogo.com and you will see it. And before someone ask's...it worked fine on a 20D and now that the usb port was changed on the 40D it works with no problems on that body.

TeamSpeed, any other assumptions you would like to post in an attempt to discredit me and bolster Canon???????

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,182 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2011 19:07 |  #32

The assumptions are simply based on your responses here and how you have carried yourself in the discussions. You used terms like "the rep called me a liar", but it appears that the word was never used, but rather that the CSR has no recollection of talking with you. Big difference between the CSR not remembering talking to you versus calling you an out-and-out liar.

Age certainly does play a part here, the older you get and the more experiences you have will help you decide the best course of action when these things happen.

There is never just one person that you have to go to in order to get a resolution, so no, Mrs. White is not the last person you can talk to. Again, if you are in customer service, you know that too. There is always somebody else up the chain, or in a different chain of command, that can help you. However, it is quite easy to burn the proverbial bridge with behavior/terminology/a​ttitude, so one has to tread softly as they maneuver the organizational chart. ;)

Yes there are documented posts here on POTN and other boards about poor Canon customer service, nobody is saying that Canon is never at fault and always has great service, you made that assumption as shown by all the fanboy comments (again the way you carry yourself here shows what one might expect at the end of a phone call with you).

It is indeed too bad that Canon cannot get things resolved for you, but you have not yet used all your tools at your disposal. There is more that can be done.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

davidky
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 03, 2011 19:10 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #33

TeamSpeed, you have made this whole thing a lot more enjoyable...your responses always make me smile and laugh..you just cant face the facts can you???????

Thanks for the laughs

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,182 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2011 19:15 |  #34

And there it is... ;)

Good luck in your future endeavors to get resolution from Canon. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 04, 2011 07:45 |  #35

Yeah description here Is a bit confusing is it CAT 5 or USB you are using?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,182 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 04, 2011 08:14 |  #36

SpeedyGoo wrote in post #13202975 (external link)
Yeah description here Is a bit confusing is it CAT 5 or USB you are using?

It is most likely something like this

http://www.monoprice.c​om …&p_id=6042&seq=​1&format=2 (external link)

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 04, 2011 08:38 |  #37

davidky wrote in post #13196621 (external link)
I waited over 5 hours for Ms. White to call me and to get put on hold in mid-sentence is not acceptable. Had she said let me take a look at this or let me research something or anything other than let me put you on hold and poof, shes gone. In that situation 4 minutes is way to long to wait on hold.

OP, have you contacted Canon yet since this call? If not, I think it's time as it is highly unlikely they are going to call you. Without a doubt, just being put on hold with no explanation or requesting permission from you is out of line. I've worked in/managed call centers for my entire career, and this behavior would get one of my staff in hot water. However, 4 minutes is not that long to wait, especially if it relates to a unique or technical situation. As to others having said that so and so is the person to talk to, until that person says so, it's not something I would take as gospel. As others have suggested, get them back on the line, and do your best to work up the line until you can get someone/somewhere that can professionally deal with the situation. Good luck.

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Σ18-35 | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 85 1.8 | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,182 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 04, 2011 08:57 |  #38

Watch out, most likely you are a fanboy, a Canon loyalist! :)

All I suggested was "be nicer", "document all the facts", and "work your way around the Canon customer service center until you get ahold of someone that can help", and you can see the type of replies back (Canon fanboy, can't listen to facts, you're discrediting me, yada yada). Oh well, you can't help everyone. :D

I don't think there is much more here to say, it appears that David did not come here for any kind of help, but really to point out Canon's flaws in the hope of getting some sort of community outcry or Canon to respond because of the negative publicity, neither of which will really happen. ???

I really hope he gets everything addressed though, it stinks having non-working equipment. If that means moving to Nikon, so be it, but the grass isn't always greener, just a different hue. :(

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 04, 2011 10:22 |  #39

Not all USB ports are created even could be a low gain/independence issue on the port

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 04, 2011 10:33 |  #40

always be nice to a customer service rep. after all they are the ones that will help you and it's not like they had anything to do with the problem.

I don't know.............origi​nal complaint....don't want to refer to the OP....sounds a lot like a guy from a Louis CK skit

there just can't be a correct answer here. rather than file under conundrum I shall just smile.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 04, 2011 13:17 as a reply to  @ You-by-Lou's post |  #41

Things are what they are. Learning how to maneuver through Canon's system is going to be a lot more productive than insisting that Canon learn how to maneuver through your system.

In my experience (not necessarily with Canon), the initial call center representative is always reading from a script. Their goal is to answer your question, favorably or unfavorably, and end the conversation without transferring you to a higher level. (Many call centers have operators simultaneously working for multiple vendors and they often have no real familiarity with the product. That's why they'll ask seemingly inappropriate questions - they're just reading from a script and inputting your responses.) Your goal is to get transferred to that higher level, usually in a different physical location, as quickly and enjoyably as possible.

The best thing that can happen is to get transferred to the highest level immediately and have the initial representative tell the service manager, "I have David on the line, he's having trouble, he's a loyal customer, and he's a really nice guy." (I'd hate to think that's what was going on when you were on hold and got impatient after four minutes.)

Play Canon's game, not the one you've created. There's only so much that you can get out of them but if they don't see a practical resolution to your problem, it's their job to get you off the phone.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 04, 2011 16:28 |  #42

If you haven't identified this train of thought so far in this thread, members here who've posted assume that you have been "rude and unprofessional" to the Canon service reps are largely based off of your initial post, which rightly or not, conveyed a bit of an attitude, and first impressions do count.
Similarly, I'm not defending Canon either, and in fact would love to go Nikon, but my own experiences with Canon's service reps have been nothing but good. I believe that my fellow forum members may also have similar experiences, so may be a bit surprised to hear of a service rep simply cutting you off mid-sentence and putting you on hold. Again, this isn't a defense of Canon, as that's the wrong thing to do, I'm simply defending my fellow members and trying to explain my perception of how or why they have responded to you as they have.
Lastly, even if Ms. White is the only person qualified to speak to you on behalf of Canon Corp. in regards to this issue, she, like someone else has previously mentioned, has someone to report to (probably writes her paycheck) and this is probably the person you need to speak to. I feel like I'm simply reiterating what's already been said but hope this makes sense to you.
Best of luck with your 40d. I'm glad mine hasn't given up on me yet through all the abuse mine has been through.

davidky wrote in post #13200929 (external link)
I dont know where to begin...lets start with teamspeed:no being a part of cust service doesnt make you a good customer but you mentioned that you knew quite a bit about cust service.
-liar-the rep said on several occasions that he and I did not have a conversation during a specific week and I have all the dates and times in my phone log....what do you call that????
-I was already told by someone else that Ms White was the only person at corp that could resolve the issue. Why should I think someone else would be better to speak to???????????
-My age has nothing to do with it
-Why do you assume I have been rude or unprofessional or not nice to the people I have spoken with??? That usually means thats how the person making that assumption would act.
-I post this so people will know what they may encounter at Canon

HappySnapper- I have been dealing with this issue since August 30th, how long should I wait for a resolution??

I use a 100 ft cat 5 cable with a booster that converts to a usb cable. Look on cablestogo.com and you will see it. And before someone ask's...it worked fine on a 20D and now that the usb port was changed on the 40D it works with no problems on that body.

TeamSpeed, any other assumptions you would like to post in an attempt to discredit me and bolster Canon???????

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

davidky
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 05, 2011 20:50 as a reply to  @ midget's post |  #43

There are a lot of correct answers here. TeamSpeed you are correct on the booster for the cat 5 cable, I use a 100 ft cat 5 cable with the usb booster on both ends but again this connection works correctly now that the usb port on the body has been changed. No complaints with this. But again you assume that I was rude, short, had a attitude or whatever you want to call it. Like I said I have a lot of experience in call centers and with customer service. You are still making assumptions you shouldnt make and are incorrect about. The Canon Pro Rep that I mentioned still communicate with each other so I couldnt have been too bad could I? if he still has conversations with me. I answered his email, on personal matters, just before I signed in here. Maybe you should learn to get a little more info before proving you dont know what you are talking about.

I agree 4 minutes is not very long but when you consider this has been ongoing since Sept 1, 2011, its adds up very fast, when you are promised the body will be back in my hands in 7 days and its 23 days, it adds up very fast. It was my fault for having enough confidence in Canon to not keep a back-up body but you live and you learn.

I hate to admit it but I will get another 20D because of some of the remote shooting features with the software but I am now a Nikon customer.

I hope I address all the questions and comments
C

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 06, 2011 13:34 |  #44

davidky wrote in post #13200929 (external link)

Well it'll take longer if you keep hanging up on people.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 07, 2011 07:59 as a reply to  @ HappySnapper90's post |  #45

Wow. What an entertaining thread!

This reminds me of a typical husband/wife conversation. She goes on a rant and I point out a way to solve it. That's not what she wants to hear. This was pointed out well in the movie "White Men Can't Jump":

Gloria: "See. if I'm thirsty. I don't want a glass of water, I want you to sympathize. I want you to say, "Gloria, I too know what it feels like to be thirsty. I too have had a dry mouth." I want you to connect with me through sharing and understanding the concept of dry mouthedness."

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

6,077 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Corp
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.