Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 14:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Glassless infinity-focus FD-EOS converter for 600 and 800mm FD lenses now available.

whotaketh
200 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 03, 2011 17:20 |  #46

I'm curious if anyone has reported back to you with details and results on using this adapter with lenses not already mentioned?

- 60D(w/ Zeikos grip) - 5d2 - 70-200 f2.8L IS I - 85 1.8 - Sigma 50 1.4 DG HSM - 24 1.4L II - 580EX II

sponsored links
ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 19, 2011 14:30 |  #47

whotaketh wrote in post #13046778 (external link)
I'm curious if anyone has reported back to you with details and results on using this adapter with lenses not already mentioned?

I found a way to get to infinity focus on the FD 300 2.8L and FD 400 2.8L using my EdMika 0.75mm EF-FD adapter with some relatively easy and reversible lens disassembly and focus element recalibration within positioning slots. I am confident that the only two remaining big white lenses I have not gotten my hands on yet the FD 200 1.8 and FD 500 4.5 can be adjusted the same way. I am currently working on DIY instructions to be posted on youtube shortly. -Ed Mika

Ravenscroft
38 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 19, 2011 16:15 as a reply to  @ ontarian's post |  #48

I've got the 500 4.5 and one of your adapters... I'd be very interested in this conversion :D

I've also got the 1.4x and 2x TCs, hoping that there would be enough slack to allow infinity on an unmodified lens, but no luck :(

Very much looking forward to the video - thanks!

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 19, 2011 16:27 |  #49

Having machined many-a-thing I can say that the adapter is worth $135 or whatever and that the guy is not making a ton of money. That kind of work is tedious and I wouldn't be making them even though I have access to a CNC shop.

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

Ravenscroft
38 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 19, 2011 17:01 |  #50

JonK wrote in post #13129037 (external link)
Having machined many-a-thing I can say that the adapter is worth $135 or whatever and that the guy is not making a ton of money. That kind of work is tedious and I wouldn't be making them even though I have access to a CNC shop.

Agreed - to my (admittedly semi-trained eye) it's a lovely piece of work :D Very happy with mine...

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 19, 2011 19:16 |  #51

Ravenscroft wrote in post #13129156 (external link)
Agreed - to my (admittedly semi-trained eye) it's a lovely piece of work :D Very happy with mine...

Thanks to you both for the nice comments related to my products.

gmikol
272 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 04, 2011 21:43 |  #52

What about teleconverters?

So I'm seriously considering one of the telephoto converters, if I can find a decent lens.

But I was thinking about how this would work with teleconverters. Would make more sense to have :

Lens -> adapter -> EF TC -> EOS

OR

Lens -> FD TC -> Adapter -> EOS

Does it matter? Would an EF teleconveter even mount properly?

Thoughts?

--Greg

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 04, 2011 21:55 |  #53

Based on my testing the only true detail resolving bump came with the FD 1.4x-a and not so much the EF 1.4x ii, not the EF 2x ii and most definitely not the FD 2x-a and 2x-b. The EF extenders do mount but the plastic gets scratched by the aperture levers and often it pries the contacts between the EdMika EF-FD 0.75mm converter dandelion af-confirmation chip and the extender contacts causing an error message in your EOS camera. My EF 1.4x now mounts fine since I made sure the scratch is deep enough not to cause this separation but since the FD version works better anyway I just go FD lens, FD extender, edmika adapter, EOS body.

cheers-Ed Mika

gmikol wrote in post #13206340 (external link)
So I'm seriously considering one of the telephoto converters, if I can find a decent lens.

But I was thinking about how this would work with teleconverters. Would make more sense to have :

Lens -> adapter -> EF TC -> EOS

OR

Lens -> FD TC -> Adapter -> EOS

Does it matter? Would an EF teleconveter even mount properly?

Thoughts?

--Greg

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,243 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 05, 2011 09:58 |  #54

Ed, Have you ever thought about designing a FD new mount to replace the EF mount on the camera? I removed the EF mount from my 7D body just to "have a look" and then re-installed it. The whole job took less than 5 minutes. The hardest part was positioning the spring under the release pin.

Would it be possible to make such a new mount that would place the FD lens 2mm inside the body of the EOS camera?

This could be an alternative that would also work all FD lenses. I would even be willing to remove the aperture levers from the FD lenses it it caused interference problems.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 05, 2011 10:08 |  #55

I did exactly that with my 7D and even went deeper/destructive with my 30D. It did not work and I know why now. The 2mm offset is misleading, it's actually more like a 4.6mm offset because how Canon measured the "end" of the lens before in FD is different than EF. It's not from the bottom of the twist ring, it from somewhere deeper. We are going to have to live with lens mount conversions or re calibrations in longer focal lengths and EVIL bodies to use the FD glass in digital. -Ed Mika

msowsun wrote in post #13208202 (external link)
Ed, Have you ever thought about designing a FD new mount to replace the EF mount on the camera? I removed the EF mount from my 7D body just to "have a look" and then re-installed it. The whole job took less than 5 minutes. The hardest part was positioning the spring under the release pin.

Would it be possible to make such a new mount that would place the FD lens 2mm inside the body of the EOS camera?

This could be an alternative that would also work all FD lenses. I would even be willing to remove the aperture levers from the FD lenses it it caused interference problems.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,243 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 05, 2011 10:20 |  #56

ontarian wrote in post #13208259 (external link)
I did exactly that with my 7D and even went deeper/destructive with my 30D. It did not work and I know why now. The 2mm offset is misleading, it's actually more like a 4.6mm offset because how Canon measured the "end" of the lens before in FD is different than EF. It's not from the bottom of the twist ring, it from somewhere deeper. We are going to have to live with lens mount conversions or re calibrations in longer focal lengths and EVIL bodies to use the FD glass in digital. -Ed Mika

Thanks for the explanation. I held my FDn 50mm 1.4 up to 7D without the EF mount. The rear of the FD lens was actually slightly inside of the 7D, and I was still not able to get more than about 5 feet of focus distance. Now I know why... ;)

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 06, 2011 03:16 |  #57

In German we name the back focal length also known as register, flange back distance, flange to film distance, flange focal length simply "Auflagemass".
That "Auflage" or probably "flange" is the level were the lens is hold in a defined distance to the sensor. Where camera and lens are pressed / drawed together.

The breeck lock twist ring only function is to draw the lens and camera together - on that defined level behind the twist ring. It is the counterpart / level of the protruding part of the FD camera mount.

As far as I remember Canon advertised / told the press back then, that their FD mount is one of the few were this level is not rotated together like in Nikon F mount and all the other common mounts. This rotation with more and more pressure could result in more abrasion on this defined and cricial mount part.
But today they go the same "abrasive" way with their EF mount´- seems not to be that big problem. Furthermore the FD mount was pretty complex.

Because of that, is is not only the 2 mm distance we have to minimize, but the thickness and distance of that twist ring too.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

Ravenscroft
38 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 08, 2011 07:01 |  #58

ontarian wrote in post #13128435 (external link)
I found a way to get to infinity focus on the FD 300 2.8L and FD 400 2.8L using my EdMika 0.75mm EF-FD adapter with some relatively easy and reversible lens disassembly and focus element recalibration within positioning slots. I am confident that the only two remaining big white lenses I have not gotten my hands on yet the FD 200 1.8 and FD 500 4.5 can be adjusted the same way. I am currently working on DIY instructions to be posted on youtube shortly. -Ed Mika

Just to confirm that this process works fine on the 300 2.8 and 500 4.5. The 500 will focus past infinity with just the adjustment: you don't have to remove the infinity stop plate (which I'm very glad about as, like a muppet, I stripped the head of one of the screws holding it in. :oops:) My copy of the 300 (unlike yours by the sound of it) had the adhesive holding the adjustment plates in place.

A couple of snapshots to demonstrate this: 300mm 2.8 - before adjustment used to focus to about 20 metres: SOOC

IMAGE: http://fallingonion.smugmug.com/photos/i-HV7675k/0/M/i-HV7675k-M.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://fallingonion.sm​ugmug.com …d#1518355724_HV​7675k-A-LB  (external link)

500mm 4.5 - before adjustment used to focus to approx 200 metres: 100% crop, SOOC

IMAGE: http://fallingonion.smugmug.com/photos/i-BCNtRTX/0/M/i-BCNtRTX-M.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://fallingonion.sm​ugmug.com …d#1518355418_BC​NtRTX-A-LB  (external link)

I realise these are by no means indicators of what the lenses are capable of but they demonstrate the principle :) Big thanks to Ed for developing both the adapter and the adjustment technique and so breathing new life into these lovely old lenses - I'm really looking forward to seeing what I and others can do with them.

bondiben
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 15, 2012 04:57 |  #59

Ravenscroft wrote in post #13220824 (external link)
Just to confirm that this process works fine on the 300 2.8 and 500 4.5. The 500 will focus past infinity with just the adjustment:

You mean you had to move the focussing element on the 500 4.5?

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 15, 2012 08:23 |  #60

The 200/2, 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4.5 all have a calibration slot that can adjust the focusing element holder forward and backward. To get infinity you have to loosen the fastener on each side slightly, using gravity let the lens and holder module slide as far forwards as possible and retighten. In a few cases I have heard of with the 300 this didn't quite get to infinity and the issue was overcome with using a small circular file to extend the slots a tiny bit. It is also important with all the FD super telephoto lenses to have one of the UV filters installed, it affects the focal path and helps in reaching infinity. Check out EdMika.com for the videos on how to do this with the 400 2.8, the method is the same for all the above listed lenses. -Ed

sponsored links

19,195 views & 0 likes for this thread
Glassless infinity-focus FD-EOS converter for 600 and 800mm FD lenses now available.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.