Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 06 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

poor photo quality when uploaded to the web

dee.vee
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 06, 2011 08:30 |  #1

Hey All!
Hope where ever you are in the big beautiful and very photogenic world ; you are well!

I need some help, and I am at my wits end.
My husband bought me a Canon D60 for my birthday - and I am in love!
However, I am struggling with my photo quality when uploaded to facebook. It doesn't look nearly as crisp/sharp as it does on my computer.Really frustrating. I have spent mass amounts of time to figure out the sizing and other 'tricks' relating with facebook but nothing seems to work. I had a Canon XSI before this (I know, a jump) and I never had issues.. which is leaving me stunned. (haha)
Any insight would greatly be appreciated! I also apologize if this has been asked a thousand times, and if anyone has a link to the answer via this site, please send away - i just had no luck locating.
Thank you in advance!!

sponsored links
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 06, 2011 08:34 |  #2

FB isn't the bext place to showcase quality in a photo. It could be due to compression (not sure how they convert the shots) but have you tried adjusting the image size to the specs FB will post?

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

dee.vee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 06, 2011 08:37 as a reply to  @ ni$mo350's post |  #3

i've seen some folks with similar cameras post their photos no problem (seems to me no problem as their quality looks great) thus why im so confused!
since facebook has changed so much that certain specs folks have posted from even a couple of months ago.. don't seem to work.
what are 'the specs' now?

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 06, 2011 08:42 |  #4

Photos need to be saved at around 720 pixels in length or fb compresses them and they go soft.

Chris Giles Photography

shebee
161 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 06, 2011 08:55 |  #5

Export with like 1280px long edge so it will appear with 960px on FB.
But it will still look crap due to compression.

500px (external link)
Razzi (external link)
Please give me some constructive criticism and comments.

tman2782
987 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 10, 2011 13:23 |  #6

Facebook has terrible JPEG compression and there is nothing you can do to salvage the situation. Some shots due to the colour and other aspects of the photograph may appear to look great, but are still heavily compressed.

Use sites like flickr and 500px and use sharing options from there to get them on to your facebook profile.

Terence # www.terencepereiraphot​o.com (external link)
facebook (external link) | twitter (external link) | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link) | GearList

GwagDesigns
299 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 10, 2011 14:53 |  #7

They seemed to have fixed bad quality issues a bit, photos display larger now and look fine. I usually export around 1000px and don't notice to much change in quality after the updates.

[7D] - [GF1 w/14mm f2.5] - 70-200f4L | 50mm f1.2L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 f2.8 | Sigma 18-50 f2.8[U]
davehintzphoto.com (external link) | Twitter (external link) | "Like" Me (external link) on FaceBook

Lantz
992 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 18, 2011 13:13 as a reply to  @ GwagDesigns's post |  #8

I edit my photos at 240-300 pix per inch for printing but when loading them to the web at such pixel size they seem soft, oddly when I use 72 pixels at the same 1024 image it's much sharper, I cant explain why it'e just something ive clearly noticed

tman2782
987 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 18, 2011 23:05 |  #9

PPI is for printing only and does not change or affect display on a computer.

Terence # www.terencepereiraphot​o.com (external link)
facebook (external link) | twitter (external link) | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link) | GearList

Lantz
992 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 19, 2011 12:05 |  #10

tman2782 wrote in post #13271610 (external link)
PPI is for printing only and does not change or affect display on a computer.

It does when you take a 16"x24" @ 300 picture then select image size and make it 1024 pix still @ 300 the image will be 3.4 in and have a softer look on frickr than a 16x24 first changed to 72 pix then sized to 1024.

Like I said I cant explain why but it's something I have tried many times one way and the other and it does change or affect display on a computer. the 72 pix @ 1024 is sharper than the 300 pix @ 1024.

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 19, 2011 13:21 |  #11

Lantz wrote in post #13273845 (external link)
It does when you take a 16"x24" @ 300 picture then select image size and make it 1024 pix still @ 300 the image will be 3.4 in and have a softer look on frickr than a 16x24 first changed to 72 pix then sized to 1024.

Like I said I cant explain why but it's something I have tried many times one way and the other and it does change or affect display on a computer. the 72 pix @ 1024 is sharper than the 300 pix @ 1024.

There are a few threads here where this has been discussed but do the test yourself but without the flickr or fb variable, export a picture with 72 and another with 300 there will be no difference on your screen.

Hereis a good thread

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

redrocket
559 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 20, 2011 00:22 |  #12

i found a facebook action for CS4... i am happy with my facebook posts... p.m. me and i will see if i can send it to you...

I have G.A.S.

sponsored links

2,737 views & 0 likes for this thread
poor photo quality when uploaded to the web
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.