Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Oct 2011 (Monday) 20:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D, I messed up the Media Card Insert, ON VACATION!

jock3
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 05, 2011 11:05 |  #31

It obviously happens but over the last 9-10 years I've pulled out and slammed in thousands of CF cards and I ain't to careful about how I do it - never had a problem, those that have I think its just down to bad luck

Most Canons currently - 1D(Mks 2&3&4), 7D gripped 50D gripped x2, 40Dgripped x2, 30Dgripped, 20D gripped, 350 gripped, 300. with L lenses

WEBSITES - http://knockhillimages​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
& http://aviationandmari​timeimages.smugmug.com​/ (external link)

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 05, 2011 11:16 as a reply to  @ post 13208199 |  #32

I've never had cancer.

What does that prove?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sunking39
403 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 05, 2011 14:01 |  #33

I like the CF cards and don't like the SD cards. People saying the pins are a design flaw, bull. The truth is it's impossible to have a perfect design when it comes to things that hitch to another in order for them to communicate electronically.
For me CF cards are sturdier and more reliable. The only problem they have is that they have become less common, and that's a shame.

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 05, 2011 14:20 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

tkbslc wrote in post #13208576 (external link)
I've never had cancer.

What does that prove?

It has nothing to do with the CF card "problem". If you don't do anything with your CF card - the pins won't bend.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

Calindy
THREAD ­ STARTER
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 05, 2011 18:39 |  #35

Bannor wrote in post #13208123 (external link)
A quick look at this thread again tells me 1 thing - people will NEVER be satisfied. I think the manufacturers are clever enough to realise this - and why moaning in forums (such as this one) is a complete waste of time. People don't like to use a cable because it's too long / takes too much time. They don't like CF cards because they bend the pins / they're too big. They don't like SD cards because they're too small. Even if they made a camera that telepathically transferred photos to a computer, some people would STILL find something to complain about. The other thing that seems obvious to me is that people nowadays will NEVER accept responsibility for their actions. It's always "The camera doesn't work properly!", "The card didn't go in properly and it bent the pins!" and "The card fell out of my pocket and got lost!" Never, "It was my fault. I didn't take proper care!" No wonder the manufacturers don't 'listen to the buyers'!

I took responsibility, I messed up somehow, not sure what I did, but I must have done something wrong.

Calindy
Photography is my Prozac!
Canon Digital EOS 7 D, Lenses: EF IS 100-400mm L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Tamron 18-270 mm, Canon EF 50 mm F/1:4 USM, Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 Lens, 430EX Canon Flash, Canon G 10 , Blackrapid R-7 Strap

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 05, 2011 18:45 |  #36

Bannor wrote in post #13208123 (external link)
Even if they made a camera that telepathically transferred photos to a computer, some people would STILL find something to complain about.

close enough:
http://usa.canon.com …eless_transmitt​er_wft_e5a (external link)

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 05, 2011 19:26 |  #37

tonylong wrote in post #13201816 (external link)
But still, some folks have had this type of thing happen with Sandisk cards, so...

In my entire digital camera life, I have never had an issue with pins in a CF slot, and I have never used anything but Sandisk.

I never heard of anyone bending a pin before I joined this forum so the engineer side of me became curious.

In looking at some off-brand cards I can see how if one was careless and was rushing to insert a card they might bend some pins.

It's so easy to not bend a pin, but if one cannot recognize the resistance before forcing the card in, one will bend the pins.

When I insert a CF card I kind just nudge it in, letting it find its way home then a little more pressure and it is seated.

I won't use any other brand but Sandisk - I did once long ago and experienced a failure but that was with a camera maker branded card.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 05, 2011 19:28 |  #38

Calindy wrote in post #13210456 (external link)
I took responsibility, I messed up somehow, not sure what I did, but I must have done something wrong.

When it happened were you in a bit of a hurry?

I'm curious because I hear of people who have bent pins but never really talked with anyone who had first hand experience.

Calindy
THREAD ­ STARTER
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 06, 2011 10:54 |  #39

harcosparky wrote in post #13210683 (external link)
When it happened were you in a bit of a hurry?

I'm curious because I hear of people who have bent pins but never really talked with anyone who had first hand experience.

It was late, I was overtired, and just going thru the motions to change cards. So I must have not paid close attention like I usually do. It was an older CF card that I had not used in awhile cause it was the last day of vacation and I was on the last of my CF cards. My hubby said that the pin holes did not look right on the CF card after I pulled it out. I wonder if the CF card was messed up BEFORE I put it in, or I messed it up while bending the pins. First time I did it, and I hope it will be the last!!!

Calindy
Canon Digital EOS 7 D, Lenses: EF IS 100-400mm L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Tamron 18-270 mm, Canon EF 50 mm F/1:4 USM, Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 Lens, 430EX Canon Flash, Canon G 10 , Blackrapid R-7 Strap

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 06, 2011 16:05 as a reply to  @ Calindy's post |  #40

Bannor wrote in post #13202705 (external link)
One more vote for using the camera USB connection and downloading.... I've NEVER had bent pins doing this - after more than 4 years of doing so!

rick_reno wrote in post #13203085 (external link)
I've had my card out once. I use the cable/camera for downloading photos.

Too slow and it takes the camera out of service...

I have a card slot on the front of my computer and the download is blazingly fast. If I used the camera cable, I'd be at it all day.

John

Calindy
THREAD ­ STARTER
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 18, 2011 16:39 |  #41

UPDATE as promised: My camera was fixed thru SageMax (ext warranty purchased thru B & H when I purchased my 7D). I called them the day I got home, they sent a UPS Label via email (took 1 day). I shipped it UPS, it go there 3 days later. Camera fixed in 3-4 days. Took almost 1 WEEK to get the camera back after fixing. Postage was free both ways, I was in no hurry (learning my G10, but if I was in a hurry, I wish they offered a faster shipper for a fee). My camera was returned via USPS Parcel Select. Packed in box & shrink wrapped very well. Camera has been cleaned, CF card reader assembly replaced, and it works great. So I had a great experience with SageMax!:)

Calindy

sponsored links

5,965 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 7D, I messed up the Media Card Insert, ON VACATION!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.