Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 05, 2011 11:25 |  #1951

Yea I dont think Id be okay doing to blow torch deal either. As I understand it you can also send it back to Markins and they will remove it for you, so theres another approach.

And yea, that RRS clamp really is worth the extra money, especially if youre going to be going RRS with your other accessories anyway.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
mnml
581 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 05, 2011 12:13 |  #1952

@Tommydigi - Will do.

@ben_r - Do you know if the threading on the Markins plate normal or reverse? I'm going to try to and put it in a vice and carefully twist it off. Just want to make sure which way to turn it.

Sony A7II | Sony 85/1.4 GM | Sony 24-70/2.8 GM | Rokinon 14/2.8
flickr (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 05, 2011 12:16 |  #1953

mnml wrote in post #13208867 (external link)
@Tommydigi - Will do.

@ben_r - Do you know if the threading on the Markins plate normal or reverse? I'm going to try to and put it in a vice and carefully twist it off. Just want to make sure which way to turn it.

Its normal, clock wise to tighten. Just be as gentle as you can. Maybe try light taps with a rubber hammer too...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

mnml
581 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 05, 2011 13:28 |  #1954

great idea on using a rubber hammer. thanks!

Sony A7II | Sony 85/1.4 GM | Sony 24-70/2.8 GM | Rokinon 14/2.8
flickr (external link)

rudeshi
21 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 05, 2011 21:14 as a reply to  @ mnml's post |  #1955

What is the advantage of the RRS clamp over the Markins clamp that comes with the Q3T? They both have a built-in level, right? I'm just wondering why it's worth spending the extra money for the RRS clamp?

Also, is there any disadvantage of an L-plate as compared to a standard plate? For instance, is it just as quick/easy to remove the camera with an L-plate?

peter_n
Goldmember
2,448 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 06, 2011 08:29 |  #1956

I don't think the RRS clamp has a spirit level. I use Markins screw clamps on my Markins ballheads as well as my Linhof and Arca-Swiss heads. I think the Markins clamps are very well designed and built, and I particularly like their added safety feature; a spring-loaded safety detent pin. The reason I prefer screw clamps is that I use plates from a number of different manufacturers and the screw clamp design handles that situation much better than the lever designs.

Actually the RRS lever clamp doesn't adjust to slightly different plate dimensions but the Markins lever clamp does, although it is fiddly. Also the RRS lever clamp weighs 150g, almost twice the weight of the screw clamp on the Q3T which is 78g, and with a travel tripod weight matters. So is it worth spending the extra money? RRS stuff is well made and looks nice and their marketing is great. But I've used Markins clamps for 4+ years and they work very well indeed; never a problem and they work on any plate I care to buy. So I at least don't spend the extra money... ;)

There is no disadvantage to L-plates over universal plates, except for the obvious one that an L-plate is designed for a specific camera and will not fit a different camera.

~Peter

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 06, 2011 10:44 |  #1957

peter_n wrote in post #13212763 (external link)
I don't think the RRS clamp has a spirit level. I use Markins screw clamps on my Markins ballheads as well as my Linhof and Arca-Swiss heads. I think the Markins clamps are very well designed and built, and I particularly like their added safety feature; a spring-loaded safety detent pin. The reason I prefer screw clamps is that I use plates from a number of different manufacturers and the screw clamp design handles that situation much better than the lever designs.

Actually the RRS lever clamp doesn't adjust to slightly different plate dimensions but the Markins lever clamp does, although it is fiddly. Also the RRS lever clamp weighs 150g, almost twice the weight of the screw clamp on the Q3T which is 78g, and with a travel tripod weight matters. So is it worth spending the extra money? RRS stuff is well made and looks nice and their marketing is great. But I've used Markins clamps for 4+ years and they work very well indeed; never a problem and they work on any plate I care to buy. So I at least don't spend the extra money... ;)

There is no disadvantage to L-plates over universal plates, except for the obvious one that an L-plate is designed for a specific camera and will not fit a different camera.

Depends on which RRS lever clamp you get.
http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …mp-with-dual-mount&key=it (external link)

I prefer the extra detent on the RRS clamps - it's nice to know that if the lever snags something there's a chance it won't go to "wide open", letting my gear fall out.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 06, 2011 11:43 |  #1958

peter_n wrote in post #13212763 (external link)

The RRS B2 LR II lever clamp which I recommended in this thread, does indeed have a bubble level built in.

The ability to adjust a lever clamp is a moot point if you stay entirely with a single branded quick release and accessory system, which is also whay I suggest to everyone. You never have to worry about compatibility issue that way.

The catches built into the RRS clamp and the stops in their plates are a nice feature. Lets that halfway/midpoint in their lever clamp arm position let you adjust without worrying about the rig falling out.

And no there are no disadvantages to camera specific L plates others than perhaps cost, but they really are IMO the only way one should go. Anything else will not be as secure or stable.

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 06, 2011 13:01 |  #1959

my original plan was exactly ben_r's setup... but I actually like the red Q3T and according to Markins, they can't ship the red one without the loctite, it's already there.... i still want the rrs clamp but I'm afraid to take out the markins clamp since it's already "loctited" in... any suggestions? or should I just stay with the markins clamp...

thanks

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 06, 2011 13:16 |  #1960

tagakweens wrote in post #13213742 (external link)
my original plan was exactly ben_r's setup... but I actually like the red Q3T and according to Markins, they can't ship the red one without the loctite, it's already there.... i still want the rrs clamp but I'm afraid to take out the markins clamp since it's already "loctited" in... any suggestions? or should I just stay with the markins clamp...

thanks

Call them and ask them if you can send it back to them and have them remove it. My guess is that Markins America gets these from an out of country source already "assembled" which is why they can request the clamp separated.

daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 06, 2011 13:50 |  #1961

tagakweens wrote in post #13213742 (external link)

thanks

i totally forgot to leave a not about the loctite when I ordered mine. all it took was a chamois and a vice grip and it was off. took maybe 10 minutes to do

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 06, 2011 14:21 |  #1962

ben_r_ wrote in post #13213793 (external link)
Call them and ask them if you can send it back to them and have them remove it. My guess is that Markins America gets these from an out of country source already "assembled" which is why they can request the clamp separated.

when I ordered it, I already told them if they can take it off, they refuse to, and they also said that it already has loctite on it.....

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 06, 2011 14:22 |  #1963

daveyboi wrote in post #13213941 (external link)
i totally forgot to leave a not about the loctite when I ordered mine. all it took was a chamois and a vice grip and it was off. took maybe 10 minutes to do

i would be too afraid to try this, specially knowing that it's actually "loctite" in....

it is possible to damage the ball, right?

daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 06, 2011 15:06 |  #1964

i don't see how? if your grip is on the release and turning the ballhead, the actual ball is locked in place.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=917189

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 06, 2011 15:16 |  #1965

It also depends on what kind of Loctite their using. They might not be using the red permanent type anymore. If that's the case it might be quite easy to break the hold.

sponsored links

661,765 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.