Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 06, 2011 15:23 |  #1966

ben_r_ wrote in post #13214240 (external link)
It also depends on what kind of Loctite their using. They might not be using the red permanent type anymore. If that's the case it might be quite easy to break the hold.

they did use the red type for the red Q3T...

my other option would be to just sell my red Q3T and get the black Q3T with the clamp unattached, and then get the RRS clamp.... hmmm... something to think about....

sponsored links
ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 06, 2011 16:21 |  #1967

tagakweens wrote in post #13214272 (external link)
they did use the red type for the red Q3T...

my other option would be to just sell my red Q3T and get the black Q3T with the clamp unattached, and then get the RRS clamp.... hmmm... something to think about....

Or just call them and ask if you can send it to them and have them remove it then send it back.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 06, 2011 16:37 |  #1968

ben_r_ wrote in post #13214492 (external link)
Or just call them and ask if you can send it to them and have them remove it then send it back.

Thanks Ben!

just got off the phone with Steve and he'll do it... he explained the reason why he didn't do it in the beginning was because it was coming from the factory... so he's doing it for free and even installing the rrs clamp.... all i have to do is pay for shipping back and forth....

thanks again!

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 06, 2011 16:39 |  #1969

one more.... i have this bag: Gitzo GC1201T

the setup would fit with the rrs clamp, right?

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 06, 2011 17:05 |  #1970

tagakweens wrote in post #13214546 (external link)
Thanks Ben!

just got off the phone with Steve and he'll do it... he explained the reason why he didn't do it in the beginning was because it was coming from the factory... so he's doing it for free and even installing the rrs clamp.... all i have to do is pay for shipping back and forth....

thanks again!

I would just have them remove it and YOU can screw the RRS clamp on there.

tagakweens wrote in post #13214553 (external link)
one more.... i have this bag: Gitzo GC1201T

the setup would fit with the rrs clamp, right?

And as I understand it yes that will fit in there. But I sadly do not own that bag. Yet. ;)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 07, 2011 08:13 |  #1971

Jon wrote in post #13213252 (external link)
Depends on which RRS lever clamp you get.
http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …mp-with-dual-mount&key=it (external link)

ben_r_ wrote in post #13213446 (external link)
The RRS B2 LR II lever clamp which I recommended in this thread, does indeed have a bubble level built in.

Oops my bad, sorry!  :o

tagakweens wrote in post #13214546 (external link)

Steve Yoon is just a great guy. He's helped me a lot too.

~Peter

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 10, 2011 09:52 |  #1972

If you're unsure, just talk to Markins.

I ordered mine without Loctite and when I put my RRS plate on, I didn't lock it on either. It's been fine for several years that way.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 10, 2011 11:34 |  #1973

JohnJ80 wrote in post #13229107 (external link)
If you're unsure, just talk to Markins.

I ordered mine without Loctite and when I put my RRS plate on, I didn't lock it on either. It's been fine for several years that way.

J.

Same here, but as I understand it some of their configurations (like the Red Q3T head) are ordered straight from their main factory and already come with the clamp Loctited.

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 19, 2011 12:36 |  #1974

Ben_R - Thanks for the review, your posts and TommyDigi helped me a ton.

You can add my name to the list of those who didn't believe you at first and are now believers.

I went ahead and ordered a Manfrotto 055XPROB and 498 because I thought for under $300 total how bad could it be. Well...

Don't get me wrong, both the head and legs are well made and seem very sturdy, but with that stability you get some SERIOUS weight. I tried it out last night and realized right away that it wasn't for me.

Found a 1541 on Amazon brand new for $530 and ordered a Markins Q3T along with two plates and am hopefully going to call it a day.

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 19, 2011 12:54 |  #1975

tats wrote in post #13273972 (external link)

You can add my name to the list of those who didn't believe you at first and are now believers.

I went ahead and ordered a Manfrotto 055XPROB and 498 because I thought for under $300 total how bad could it be. Well...

Don't get me wrong, both the head and legs are well made and seem very sturdy, but with that stability you get some SERIOUS weight. I tried it out last night and realized right away that it wasn't for me.

Found a 1541 on Amazon brand new for $530 and ordered a Markins Q3T along with two plates and am hopefully going to call it a day.

Awesome, glad I could help! Enjoy the new setup!

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,608 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 19, 2011 13:47 |  #1976

I just passed along what Ben_r told me. Since he spent about a month providing me info I am glad it was able to pass it on and help someone else.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 20, 2011 21:58 as a reply to  @ Tommydigi's post |  #1977

It is good to see this thread still going strong and I am remiss for not having reported back sooner on a matter being discussed back in November last year. (see #1526).
I had an issue when my Q3T arrived with the female thread on the base plate being very loose. It presented with about four times the lateral and longitudinal play compared to a normal 3/8 inch UNC connection. The good news is that Markins immediately acknowledged the problem and replaced the base plate and its thread at no cost to me, once they became aware of the issue. It was explained that the production of these threads is complex because of the need to anticipate the final thread dimensions ahead of the etching and anodizing process. Markins have 20 stages to their quality control that would ensure that out of tolerance threads would be an extremely rare occurrence. I am happy that my case was such an extremely rare instance, and I would have no hesitation acquiring further Markins products.

It may also be of interest to anyone having difficulty contacting Markins to be aware of the following: It took me many months of repeated attempts to make contact with the markins@gmail.com (external link) address. Eventually I got a reply from the gmail.com mail server to say my mail had been filtered as spam. At the time I was using hotmail as my email server, so I do suspect a Hotmail / Gmail security conflict. The upshot is that I then tried the markins@markins.com (external link) address and it was from then on that I received rapid responses from Markins.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 21, 2011 13:09 |  #1978

Andyh77 wrote in post #13282382 (external link)
It is good to see this thread still going strong and I am remiss for not having reported back sooner on a matter being discussed back in November last year. (see #1526).
I had an issue when my Q3T arrived with the female thread on the base plate being very loose. It presented with about four times the lateral and longitudinal play compared to a normal 3/8 inch UNC connection. The good news is that Markins immediately acknowledged the problem and replaced the base plate and its thread at no cost to me, once they became aware of the issue. It was explained that the production of these threads is complex because of the need to anticipate the final thread dimensions ahead of the etching and anodizing process. Markins have 20 stages to their quality control that would ensure that out of tolerance threads would be an extremely rare occurrence. I am happy that my case was such an extremely rare instance, and I would have no hesitation acquiring further Markins products.

It may also be of interest to anyone having difficulty contacting Markins to be aware of the following: It took me many months of repeated attempts to make contact with the arkins@gmail.com (external link) address. Eventually I got a reply from the gmail.com mail server to say my mail had been filtered as spam. At the time I was using hotmail as my email server, so I do suspect a Hotmail / Gmail security conflict. The upshot is that I then tried the arkins@markins.com (external link) address and it was from then on that I received rapid responses from Markins.

Huh, I had never even heard of their gmail account. I would have emailed directly from their website to ensure whatever email address was there or wherever that email form forwarded the message to was the more up to date contact email for them. But Im glad you got it all worked out!

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 22, 2011 02:36 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #1979

The gmail.com email address was, and still is, the address promoted on the markinsamerica.com website. Steve Yoon used the gmail domain to email me before I had to change providers.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 22, 2011 08:53 |  #1980

Andyh77 wrote in post #13288421 (external link)
The gmail.com email address was, and still is, the address promoted on the markinsamerica.com website. Steve Yoon used the gmail domain to email me before I had to change providers.

Wow, I guess I just never noticed it before. Or maybe Ive never emailed them and always called. That's possible, I don't really remember. But either way it's good info to know.

sponsored links

659,629 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.