Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 05 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 17:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PowerShot S100 or iPhone 4S?

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 06, 2011 22:09 |  #16

I agree with the previous statements. If you WANT the iphone4s then go get it. Seems like you need us to make the decision for you. Personally, the iphone camera is in no league to consider against the S100.

Just because professional "that" is using it doesn't mean you need to. Lol at status quo's.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

sponsored links
el ­ aye
131 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 06, 2011 23:50 |  #17

highergr0und wrote in post #13215468 (external link)
Um, plus you already have the S95

I was thinking the same thing... keep the S95 and get the iPhone 4s, best of both worlds!

tgara
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 07, 2011 07:52 |  #18

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13215555 (external link)
Your attitude sucks...

Yeah, well, so does your reading comprehension. My comments were not intended to be personal. Sorry if you took them that way.

As others have suggested, I'll probably end up getting the iPhone 4s and upgrading my S95 to the S100. The iPhone camera will be used for more spontaneous photos when I don't have my P&S.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 08, 2011 04:38 as a reply to  @ tgara's post |  #19

The improved camera is the only reason I will upgrade my Iphone 4. I just find that I tend to have my phone always with me and I am taking more pictures than ever with my phone. Already the Iphone 4 camera is great, and that seems to have improved even more. The must have applications on the Iphone are HDR pro and the Panorama application. My phone now works as a carry along scanner.

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

skywalkerbeth
643 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 08, 2011 07:22 |  #20

I follow the blog of a well-known (at least in Europe), published photographer. BEAUTIFUL beautiful work. She does a lot of fashion shoots as well. Leica is her camera.

However, some of the photos on her blog are with her iPhone. She sets it on Hipstamatic and lets 'er rip.

Canon 7D, 30D, G1X Mark II, S90, SD800IS | Canon 35mm 1.4L | Canon 24-105 F4L IS | Polarizers | Canon 100mm F2.8 macro |Lowepro Slingshot 200 | Gitzo 1550T Tripod with 1780qr head | Remote | Diffuser
My Blog: http://skywalkerbeth.b​logspot.com/ (external link)
My site: www.compassrosegalleri​es.com (external link)

NikStar
203 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 08, 2011 16:13 |  #21

skywalkerbeth wrote in post #13220875 (external link)
I follow the blog of a well-known (at least in Europe), published photographer. BEAUTIFUL beautiful work. She does a lot of fashion shoots as well. Leica is her camera.

However, some of the photos on her blog are with her iPhone. She sets it on Hipstamatic and lets 'er rip.

What blog? I'd like to take a look.

Nik
Canon T3i | 18-55mm IS kit lens | 50mm f1.8 "nifty-fifty" | 40mm f2.8 "pancake" | 24mm f/2.8 "pancake" | Canon Speedlight 430ex II | Canon EOS M10 | Canon G9x

photolessons
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 08, 2011 16:18 |  #22

pretty much any cell phone these days is good enough for a point and shoot replacement.

thats a huge jump from being a replacement for an actual camera though...

AWGD8
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 08, 2011 21:24 |  #23

Granted these are all static pictures, but these were taken by a 5M Samsung Galaxy S 4G TMobile Phone. When the Galaxy S2 arrived on Oct. 12 here in USA (TMobile) I will get one, which is 8M Pixel.

I just used some LR3 PP into it...

Enjoy! =)

http://awd8.zenfolio.c​om/p863777521#h3e827d3 (external link)

http://awd8.zenfolio.c​om/ (external link)
Alamy Creative Collection Contributor.
Sony Nex5n w/ 18-55 kit lens/ Canon FDn 50 1.4
Had: 5Dc , XSi , S95, Fuji X10, Sigma 30mm 1.4/ 50 1.4 , 85 1.8, 24-70L , 24 LII 1.4,

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 09, 2011 01:20 |  #24

photolessons wrote in post #13222376 (external link)
pretty much any cell phone these days is good enough for a point and shoot replacement.

thats a huge jump from being a replacement for an actual camera though...

Yes, but in most cases it is the difference between having a camera or not having the opportunity to take the picture at all. That is why I think any progression in IQ with regards to phone cameras is a huge deal. Having said that, the latest Iphone 4 camera is really very good, especially if you use HDR. With the latest release, the camera will be as good as the best P&S of just a couple of years ago.

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 09, 2011 03:22 |  #25

tgara wrote in post #13216931 (external link)
Yeah, well, so does your reading comprehension. My comments were not intended to be personal. Sorry if you took them that way.

As others have suggested, I'll probably end up getting the iPhone 4s and upgrading my S95 to the S100. The iPhone camera will be used for more spontaneous photos when I don't have my P&S.

If your attitude was 1/10th as good as my reading comprehension, we wouldn't be having this chat :) Stop being a little child and go take some amazing magazine photos with your phone :)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

a_roadbiker
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 10, 2011 18:16 |  #26

tgara wrote in post #13211451 (external link)
No, I'm not joking. As far as I can tell, the 4S camera is probably the most sophisticated cellphone camera on the market. I have an S95 now, which I will sell to help fund the S100 purchase. I should probably just get both. There are times when I won't have the S100 with me, but I do have my cellphone with me virtually all the time.

LIke you said... it a CELLPHONE camera. THe primary purpuse is a cell phone, not a camera. To me the camera is a bonus, but not the main purpose of the device. I have an iPhone 4G and in a pinch it does okay. But if you zoom in to take the picture, you really see the difference (grainy as $h1t).

My position is... if you want to make phone calls, get a phone. If you want to take pictures, get a camera. If you have a phone that works but you want to take decent pictures, then spend your money on the camera.

Jim

Click here to see a list of My Stuff

Visit my flickr (external link)
Like me on Facebook (external link)
www.jmaurophoto.com (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 10, 2011 19:46 |  #27

An outstanding photographer can take outstanding photos with anything. However, he'll have an easier time taking those outstanding photographs with a more advanced camera.

If you're not outstanding, that will continue to be true - if you want to take a good photo, a good camera will make it easier to do that than a poor one (or a cell phone) will.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 11, 2011 01:39 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #28

There are almost half a million pictures here that will prove that an Iphone camera can take good pictures. Yes it does have limitations, but it also had a huge advantage and that is that it will always be with you wherever you go.

http://www.flickr.com/​groups/takenwithiphone​/ (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 11, 2011 17:24 |  #29

I just got the Iphone 4 (yeah, super old technology) and am taking quite a bit of photos with it. It's gotten me out of the "I need a point and shoot" mode. I still am craving the S-100 or 95, but not nearly as much as I did. I have my T2i, which is a great camera, but I'm having fun with this Iphone, especially since I can do goofy stuff like this VVV. I can take the photo, process it, and have it online within minutes. No computer needed. I have several dumb/good apps that will process photos in various ways. I'm having a blast with it. I even have a de-motivational poster app that I play with. the last three photos are self-portraits. The first is "faces", a free app that adds cartoon hats and such to your photos. I combined that with the Movtivational app. I also have the free version of zombie booth and the paid version of fat booth (which doesn't work that well, but sometimes nails it.

I say keep the 95 (great camera) and get the Iphone. then download fatbooth, Zombie booth and other dumb apps and have fun. it's really neat to make a photo (like the first one below), fun it through B-Funky (free app) put labels on it (another free app), and then email it to friends, all within one or two minutes.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous/i-Hj3HhjD/0/L/photo-51-L.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thank you. bw!

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Oct 13, 2011 08:11 |  #30

FWIW, tomorrow, when my 4S arrives, it WILL be replacing my Elph 100 HS. I have no doubt that it will perform as well as the 100 HS in normal shooting conditions. In low-light shooting would likely favor the Elph, but I don't find myself using the Elph in low light anyway.

There are a some compromises with the iPhone 4S compared with the S95/S100, however.

>>Fixed FL
>>Fixed aperture
>>1/3.2" sensor (1/4" on the iPhone 4)
>>no A/S/M modes
>>really weak LED "flash"
>>no still image stabilization
>>no RAW
>>no hard controls (control ring, mode selector, etc.)
>>very few advanced settings at all
>>no built-in ND filter

In short, if you can live with your P&S being stuck at 32mm & f/2.4 and in full auto mode, you can live with the iPhone 4S. ;)

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

sponsored links

27,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
PowerShot S100 or iPhone 4S?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.