Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 19:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sandisk Ultra 16GB images corruption

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 06, 2011 23:19 |  #16

Wow... Not cool. Especially since I recently bought THREE 32GB Extreme UDMA cards (all from Amazon directly not a third party seller)... Looks like Id better get to testing...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 06, 2011 23:45 |  #17

Preeb wrote in post #13214953 (external link)
...From everything I've read, it usually makes more sense to go with several 4gb or 8gb cards so that if one crashes, you don't lose everything you've shot. ...

I've never understood that logic. The more cards you use, the more likely you are to have a bad card. I guess you could argue that at some large number of different cards (random brands and random versions), you'd be virtually guaranteed that they wouldn't all be bad. But the trade-off would be that you'd also be virtually guaranteed that one or two would be bad.

Throw in the problems inherent in changing and organizing cards and I'd say that multiple cards might even pose a greater risk than relying on a single card. (Conveniently, that's exactly what I want to believe because I don't feel like paying for, or keeping track of, multiple CF cards.:confused:)

I think the answer lies in redundant cameras for important events. A second shooter, another DSLR around your neck, or a point and shoot in the pocket.

This thread is sobering. I always thought Sandisk was virtually error-free, that 16GB cards were very stable, and that something like this could never happen to multiple cards.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 07, 2011 00:12 as a reply to  @ cacawcacaw's post |  #18

This article has some interesting points: 9 Things Photographers Need to Know About Memory Cards (external link)

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 07, 2011 00:54 |  #19

Preeb wrote in post #13216093 (external link)
This article has some interesting points: 9 Things Photographers Need to Know About Memory Cards (external link)

I thought most of that was all general knowledge.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Azzure_7
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 07, 2011 03:04 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #20

I just wanted to share my experience with sandisk.
I dont have problem with my Sandisk card yet.
But I do have problem with my memory card reader.
They decided to give me an exchange for the product.
But what I find frustrating is how the customer service is running.
1. I get transfered twice. Both times, they asked for my name, number, e-mail address. It takes a while even for this.
2. I told them my story. He did not say anything untill I stopped telling my problem. Then they asked me questions that clearly is told by my story. This is like me telling you "I am going to eat." Then you asking me "what are you going to do?" right after me telling you what I am going to do.

Spent 45 minutes over the phone just for just that. I could have just save my minutes on my phone. :(

Oh come on, if I knew this, I'd just grab another one.

flickr (external link)

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 07, 2011 07:26 |  #21

cacawcacaw wrote in post #13215994 (external link)
I think the answer lies in redundant cameras for important events. A second shooter, another DSLR around your neck, or a point and shoot in the pocket.

This thread is sobering. I always thought Sandisk was virtually error-free, that 16GB cards were very stable, and that something like this could never happen to multiple cards.

Thats why I use two Bodies, I had allotted two cards for each, Thankfully I had two 4gb lexars in the bag and I was able to finish the job with those two. The client was very understanding thankfully and luckily I captured some decent shots on those two cards, which satisfied their needs.

However it goes to show no matter how many bodies or equipment we have if the memory goes bad all is pretty much lost..

:cool:Lots of Bodies & Glass....:cool:

spb
583 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 07, 2011 08:25 |  #22

They should make 1D's with dual card slots, RAID style.

60d | 50d | grip | 11-16 2.8 | 17-55 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 24-105 | 70-200 II | 60 macro | 580EXII x2
flickr (external link) | gear | feedback

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 07, 2011 11:23 |  #23

spb wrote in post #13217022 (external link)
They should make 1D's with dual card slots, RAID style.

Uh.... they do...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

spb
583 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 07, 2011 11:44 |  #24

WOW, did not know. with reports of cards failing, I would do just that: put two cards in and record images on both simultaneously. may be costly but may be worth the peace of mind.

60d | 50d | grip | 11-16 2.8 | 17-55 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 24-105 | 70-200 II | 60 macro | 580EXII x2
flickr (external link) | gear | feedback

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 07, 2011 11:59 |  #25

I purchased 2 ultra's (16gb) and both do not read off of my usb3 reader but works with my sandisk firewire reader and older udma usb2 reader.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 07, 2011 12:09 |  #26

spb wrote in post #13217756 (external link)
WOW, did not know. with reports of cards failing, I would do just that: put two cards in and record images on both simultaneously. may be costly but may be worth the peace of mind.

I wish the 5D2 had dual slots! I would LOVE to have RAWs written to the CF and Small JPEGS written to the SD card!

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 07, 2011 12:52 |  #27

I am obviously well aware of the dual slot capability of my 1D Mk IIIs the problem is that the speed of sd cards is still too low compared to Cf cards, and it bogs the camera down with a sport that has continuing action..

Canon! why not Dual CFs???????

simonjs
57 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 07, 2011 13:12 |  #28

Preeb wrote in post #13214953 (external link)
It may not have anything to do directly with the topic, but why 16gb anyway? From everything I've read, it usually makes more sense to go with several 4gb or 8gb cards so that if one crashes, you don't lose everything you've shot. Also, I recently read that larger capacity cards actually use more battery juice. It's so easy to swap out cards that it seems to make more sense to me to just go with multiple 4gb or 8gb cards and call it good.

I seem to remember my first digital P&S coming with a 16mb card. That's one image from my T1i. :wink:

Part of the reason for 16gb cards is the increase in file size when I changed to a 7D, also I used 48 cards during my trip o Kenya - a mixture of 16gb, 8gb and 4gb, to use just 4 or 8's would mean carrying a lot more cards but the cards corrupting has made me think about this for the future.
I used another 15 Sandisk 16gb cards without a problem, the other 2 corrupting.

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 07, 2011 13:15 |  #29

Why 16gb and above?

File size, I shoot many sporting events and the continuos action coupled with RAW make smaller cards difficult to work with.

I don't want to be changing cards during the action.

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 07, 2011 13:20 |  #30

MajesticMomentsPhoto wrote in post #13218150 (external link)
Why 16gb and above?

File size, I shoot many sporting events and the continuos action coupled with RAW make smaller cards difficult to work with.

I don't want to be changing cards during the action.

If that was the case why did you go with four 16GB cards and not two 32GB cards. The two 32GB cards would have actually been cheaper. LINK (external link)and LINK (external link)

sponsored links

5,630 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sandisk Ultra 16GB images corruption
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.