Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Oct 2011 (Friday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eneloops and other low-self-discharge batteries

Rebelious
95 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 07, 2011 13:14 |  #1

Lately, I've been window-shopping at Thomas Distributing (external link) and Amazon (external link) for rechargeable batteries.

I use AAs and AAA-sized batteries for a wide variety of applications, from cameras and voice recorders to flashlights, microphones, GPS units and even a standalone caller-ID unit.

I'd like to get the newer-generation Low Self-Discharge, Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries (external link). The brand spearheading this LSD technology are the Sanyo Eneloops. I noticed that Sanyo is now shipping a newer, higher-power variety of the Eneloop, branded Eneloop XX. The AA-sized Eneloop XX's are supposed to be 2,500 mah capacity, whereas the "regular" Eneloops are supposedly 2,000 mah. I also noticed that MAHA/Powerex is pushing its Imedion line of LSD NiMHs at a lower cost, and they are supposedly 2,400 mah.

Do any of these numbers really mean anything?

I have used older NiMHs from 2002 to about 2010, with mixed results. I admit I let my batteries get old, but it seemed to me some of the oldest ones held the best charge. (Around 2005, I started using a MAHA MH-C808M "smart charger" with LCD display; that charger was damaged by an accident in 2010.) In the Spring of 2010, I tried out Nickel-Zinc batteries from PowerGenix, but they turned out to be a huge disappointment. They wear out quickly and I'm alarmed by how many of my PowerGenix AA cells have failed after less than a year. The NiZns don't seem to hold a charge as well as my best old NiMHs. Plus when I tried fresh NiZns in some flashlights, they burned out the bulbs.

So it's back to Square One, and I'm looking at Eneloops.

I was wondering if anyone can comment on this newer LSD NiMH technology, and these different kinds of batteries. If this isn't the BBS to be posting this subject matter, I apologize and would like to ask where a more appropriate place would be.

Thanks in advance,

--Rebelious

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 07, 2011 13:17 |  #2

Go with the Eneloops. They really are the tried and true and most popular.

Now, as far as capacity goes. The last time I looked at the higher capacity Eneloops I thought they werent worth the added cost and just got more of the 2000mah ones. If thats no longer the case or you dont care about the cost, go for the larger ones.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

equach206
307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 07, 2011 13:35 |  #3

Many people on this forum will recommend the Eneloops. I use them myself and couldn't be happier! I also recommend getting the standard Eneloops since they are rechargeable up to 1500x with the newer kind. Although the extra capacity of the Eneloop XX looks nice, they take a hit in recharge cycles (only 500x).

5D | 50D | 60 f/2.8 Macro | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 430EX
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 07, 2011 18:00 |  #4

Here is an older post where a number of AAs were tested for a science project

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=677074
results in posts 7-12, and direct quotes from the bottom of post 12:

WINNER IN BOTH TESTS: MAHA POWEREX 2700mAh

NOTE II: ENELOOP VS. IMEDION (POWEREX)

Among all the "low self-discharge" claiming batteries tested, these two in particular deserve some scrutiny. The problem, as already noted in the methodological "Limitations" section above, is that we don't know how long these new battery packages have been sitting around, and under what conditions, in the warehouses and on store shelves prior to being opened and tested. We don't have access to their manufacturing dates. So how do we interpret the test results, such as 16 eneloops (8 from Amazon.com and 8 from ThomasDistribution.com​) all registering at 100% capacity upon opening, and 8 Powerex Imedions (from ThomasDistribution.com​) all registering at 80% opening? It is possible that 8 Imedions were sitting around the warehouse 6 months or so longer than those 16 eneloops.

But suppose that eneloops are indeed superior to Imedions in the category of "low self-discharge" contest between the two (personally, this is what I "suspect")? After all, other brands with the same "low self-discharge" claims tested -- Duracell DX1500, Rayovac Hybrid, Kodak -- all failed to register at 100% capacity when first opened, like Imedions. Could all of these have been sitting around the warehouse or store shelves for 6 months or so longer than eneloops? Possible, but not likely.

But Imedion, among all "low self-discharge" claiming battery brands, significantly outperforms eneloop by about 50-70 flash pops and some 40 minutes of extra flashlight output. So then which one would you choose, particularly for those applications where "low self-discharge" is really ideal but you certainly wouldn't mind getting the extra power out of it?

The conclusion of high capacity rechargables Vs low discharge (post 17)
I was really impressed with MAHA Powerex's performance, especially after being tested three weeks after a full charge (see Test #6 above). I was frankly expecting Sanyon eneloop to beat Powerex at that later stage.

Sanyo eneloop did meet my expectation of its "low self-discharge" claims while other same claiming batteries did not live up to their claims.

Personally, I'd rely heavily on eneloops or Imedions for those "intermittent" or non-continuous applications, whereas I'd go to Powerex 2700mAh (not Imedion) for any intensive applications, such as wedding shoot or such events.

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

Rebelious
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 07, 2011 18:41 |  #5

^ If I understand this post, the Powerex 2700s are not LSDs. Is that correct?

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 07, 2011 18:57 |  #6

That's right, the Powerex (Maha) 2700s do not have the "imedion" name and are not the low self discharge type. The LSD type from Powerex are rated 2400 mAh.

Rebelious
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 07, 2011 20:39 |  #7

I held my breath this evening while I placed an order for 16 AA Eneloops, 16 AAA Eneloops (all ordinary white variety, at bulk cost) and a new MAHA AA/AAA smart charger. It was quite expensive, but I had to do something. Too many gadgets going dead on me lately.

Thanks for all the advice!

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 07, 2011 20:40 |  #8

Rebelious wrote in post #13219612 (external link)
I held my breath this evening while I placed an order for 16 AA Eneloops, 16 AAA Eneloops (all ordinary white variety, at bulk cost) and a new MAHA AA/AAA smart charger. It was quite expensive, but I had to do something. Too many gadgets going dead on me lately.

Thanks for all the advice!

I did the same thing years ago and have never once regretted it since. Dont worry, youll be fine :)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Daan37
414 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 08, 2011 14:47 |  #9

Over here GP sells LSD type batteries under the name ReCyKo+. They give at least the same performance as the Eneloops and are much cheaper. Don't know if they sell in the States though.

Canon + Elinchrom | www.daanbarnhoorn.nl (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 08, 2011 15:09 |  #10

Everyone recommend Eneloops because that's what everyone recommended to them and that's all they've tried. Eneloop was the first to market, but now everyone has the same kinds of batteries and they all work basically the same. I have used Sanyo, Kodak, Duracell and Amazon branded LSD NIMH and they all are the same. I wouldn't sweat the brand much.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

2,512 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eneloops and other low-self-discharge batteries
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.