Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 07 Oct 2011 (Friday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What type and size of CF card do you like to use for video?

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 07, 2011 12:16 |  #1

I'm getting my 7D next week and while I have a bunch of CF cards for my 40D, I know I'm going to need something bigger and faster to shoot video on the 7D.

1) So what brands have you found to be effective and not have a lot of dead sectors or drop outs because of quality?

2) How big of card do you like to use? Obviously bigger means more record time. But is there a reason to use a bunch of smaller cards?

3) How fast do the cards need to be to be effective?

Personally I like SanDisk media as I have almost never seen a dead sector in one of their products unlike other brands I have tried. I use a lot of Solid State media in my line of work. Either still images or audio recording to either large CF cards or SD cards. Depends on the recorder I'm using. I just got off shooting an episode of Celebrity Wife Swap and we were using a 788T recorder and dumping the audio to 32gb CF cards made by Transcend that the production company supplied. They seemed to be fine, but I didn't listen to all of the nearly 6 hours a day for 5 days that I recorded for any drops or dead sectors.

I'm looking at a SanDisk 32gb 400x 60MB/s card. Any thoughts?

But video is a whole other animal. Audio files don't take up nearly as much room as video or video with audio. So a fast, large, high quality card is what I'm looking for. What do you like?

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

sponsored links
artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,398 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 07, 2011 14:24 |  #2

I've found that my old Sandisk 8gb cards with 20Mb TF rate work fine, I don't think massive speed is needed for video. I've just ordered a couple of 16GB cards

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

ChasWG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 07, 2011 18:07 |  #3

Thanks Ken for answering. That's the one thing I hate about this site. So at least 19 other people looked at this thread up to this point and no one ever bothers to help but a very few. Maybe most don't know, but it would stand to reason that some have experience with DSLR video, but are only users here and no helpers. Each and every forum here is the same way. It'll take 130 views to get 4 people to answer to even start to get an idea of what I want to do for new CF cards. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that faster write speeds are better than slower write speed cards over all.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 07, 2011 18:51 |  #4

ChasWG wrote in post #13219098 (external link)
Thanks Ken for answering. That's the one thing I hate about this site. So at least 19 other people looked at this thread up to this point and no one ever bothers to help but a very few. Maybe most don't know, but it would stand to reason that some have experience with DSLR video, but are only users here and no helpers. Each and every forum here is the same way. It'll take 130 views to get 4 people to answer to even start to get an idea of what I want to do for new CF cards. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that faster write speeds are better than slower write speed cards over all.

Perhaps that is because some of us have 60Ds which use SD cards not CF cards and therefore have nothing to add.....except, speed is everything for video. If the choice is between a fast 8g or slow 16 go for the fast 8.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

ChasWG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 07, 2011 20:59 |  #5

Whether its a CF card or a SD card, the same factors apply. All of my questions would apply to choosing a SD card as well. So your reasoning is flawed why people won't contribute. There are both good and bad CF cards as well as SD cards for video. Why did you choose the card(s) you did for your 60D?

Like I said above, it's the same no matter where you go on this site. There are only a handful of people that really contribute. The rest just take and never offer up anything. I believe a community, such as this, has a great wealth of knowledge. More than any salesman I could ask the same question to. All they want to do is sell me the most expensive card they have. That may not be truely needed.

But thank you for your input John. I think you are very correct about the speed thing. The faster the card can write the info the better. These are huge files.

Chas Gordon

CalmAsToast
195 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 08, 2011 01:45 as a reply to  @ ChasWG's post |  #6

I have 3 CF cards for my 7D. One 16GB 400x Lexar Professional, and two 32GB 400x Transcend cards. My 4 month old Lexar card stopped working in August, but Lexar gladly replaced it. Speed is not an issue with these cards for video. When I shoot long exposure stills they take a few seconds to write to the card but no slowdown with video.

5D Mk III 7D Canon Lenses 35 2.0 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 24-105 4L IS | 28-135 IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 70-300 IS
---------------
Feedback & Gear
500px (external link) - PattersonVisualArts.co​m (external link)

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 08, 2011 06:48 |  #7

With the SD cards they are C rated relative to speed and the manual notes:-

"Use an SD Speed Class 6 (C6) or faster card."

SD cards are significantly cheaper than CF cards as their architecture is different. Noting my Duracell 16GB C10 cards are stated as (only) 200x it would suggest they are inherently slower than CF cards and, thus, more speed critical (in SD format). So perhaps my comments are actually irrelevant compared to CF cards.

I have used my C10 (200x) cards for long periods at 1920x1080 (25 FPS) with no issues. I have tried to use slower cards where the video will freeze within seconds of recording.

With regards to size: Cards are not bullet proof and can fail. I considered it was safer to risk loosing 16GB than 32GB. 16GB gives me 44 minutes total recording time. During my last big project "The Victory Show" in a full day, including the evening dinner dance, I used 4 cards and three batteries (another factor to consider).

John Sims

capri_stylee
220 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 08, 2011 07:36 |  #8

I have 2 sandisk cf extreme 8gb cards. use them on a 7d and they never let me down. However I've just checked their online price and i have paid way over the odds for both (from calumet...)

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 08, 2011 08:31 |  #9

Calumet never seem to be the cheapest for anything. 7dayshop.com is always my first stop.

John Sims

chris ­ joy
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 08, 2011 09:42 |  #10

I use 32gb sandisk extreme III on my 5d2, never had any issues after almost 3 years - even recording 10+ minutes nonstop. IMHO the extreme IV's are overkill, but faster is better and its worth it to go with a larger card if you can afford it. I'd rather have 1 16gb over 2 8gb and so on, I just went with 32gb so I can swap less while shooting.

ChasWG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 08, 2011 10:51 |  #11

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at a SanDisk Extreme III 400x 60MB/s 32gb card. There is a local guy on eBay selling these cards for about $120. Compaired to others on eBay selling this same card he had a great price, but is that a decent price to pay? I truely trust SanDisk products, but these Transcend cards also look promising. I could get 2 Transcend 32gb 400x cards for about the price of one 32gb SanDisk card. With two 32gb cards I could probably record more than enough stuff to keep me way busy. :rolleyes: :D

Chas Gordon

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 08, 2011 22:01 as a reply to  @ ChasWG's post |  #12

I use 16GB Sandisk Extreme 60MB/sec. Adorama had a very attractive special a few months ago which may be still be good. highly recommended. I haven't tried the 32 GB version.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 09, 2011 00:25 |  #13

ChasWG wrote in post #13221381 (external link)
Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at a SanDisk Extreme III 400x 60MB/s 32gb card. There is a local guy on eBay selling these cards for about $120. Compaired to others on eBay selling this same card he had a great price, but is that a decent price to pay? I truely trust SanDisk products, but these Transcend cards also look promising. I could get 2 Transcend 32gb 400x cards for about the price of one 32gb SanDisk card. With two 32gb cards I could probably record more than enough stuff to keep me way busy. :rolleyes: :D

I use the 32GB Sandisk Extreme cards also in my 5D2s. DO NOT buy cards from ebay! Thats just silly. They are more than likely knock offs! They are the same price of $130 at amazon: LINK (external link)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

IMFILMS
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 09, 2011 20:26 |  #14

KINGSTON 32G , love it

Trout ­ Bum
366 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 13, 2011 18:45 as a reply to  @ IMFILMS's post |  #15

Have never had a prob with Sandisk cards, on my 5DII I wouldn't use less than 16GB, my next card(s) will be 32.

Mark

sponsored links

2,499 views & 0 likes for this thread
What type and size of CF card do you like to use for video?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.