Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 08 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the best turnaround time?

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 08, 2011 12:24 |  #1

Im curious to see what everyone thinks about this topic. I want to know what you all think is the best turn around time for images from a wedding.

Regardless of if it possible, or you would have to outsource, its not about your comfort level but rather the amount of days/weeks/months from the wedding that the clients recieve their images.

The next day? 1 week? 2 weeks? 4-6 weeks?

Is there a benefit in having the couple wait a little bit, maybe until after their honeymoon, to build anticipation, and regenerate after the wedding. Or would getting the photos one week after be better, or what?

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 08, 2011 13:46 |  #2

I typically have all the images ready for the client within a week. I see no point in making people wait.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 08, 2011 13:48 |  #3

First, let me say I believe in the value of anticipation. I'm probably in the minority, but I expressly do NOT do sneak peeks. When other photographers do these, they tend to include some of the best pictures of the day. I want the emotional impact of them seeing those for the first time when they're seeing everything for the first time (which is immediately proceeded by an album discussion, so I really do want those emotions riding high).

My typical turnaround is 3 weeks. That includes all of their images PP'ed and burned to disc, everything uploaded into a gallery, a smaller gallery of ~200 images formulated into a slideshow, and an album pre-design.

However, during busy seasons (like right now in the northeast), my turnaround can slide to 4-5 weeks, but I always let the couple know.

So the shorter answer to your question is that I do it in 3 weeks because that's what it typically takes me. I could do it in less, but don't feel there's a payback for it. And I'm too customer service focused to let it take longer unless I'm consumed by the volume of work.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 08, 2011 14:18 |  #4

Peacefield wrote in post #13221962 (external link)
First, let me say I believe in the value of anticipation. I'm probably in the minority, but I expressly do NOT do sneak peeks. When other photographers do these, they tend to include some of the best pictures of the day. I want the emotional impact of them seeing those for the first time when they're seeing everything for the first time (which is immediately proceeded by an album discussion, so I really do want those emotions riding high).

My typical turnaround is 3 weeks. That includes all of their images PP'ed and burned to disc, everything uploaded into a gallery, a smaller gallery of ~200 images formulated into a slideshow, and an album pre-design.

However, during busy seasons (like right now in the northeast), my turnaround can slide to 4-5 weeks, but I always let the couple know.

So the shorter answer to your question is that I do it in 3 weeks because that's what it typically takes me. I could do it in less, but don't feel there's a payback for it. And I'm too customer service focused to let it take longer unless I'm consumed by the volume of work.

I totally agree.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 08, 2011 15:20 |  #5

typical weddings are 2-4 weeks, nd summer really stretches those 4 weeks...
winter weddings are usually 1-2 weeks, a lot more free time during that time of year...

engagements usually 2-4 days...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 08, 2011 16:39 |  #6

In hours, I can usually 'process' the images in 12 hours. But, exporting, resizing, burning the discs etc is another 4 hours.

Those are best times to deliver 600 images.

Average is 24 hours, so three days. Plus 10 hours at a wedding and 6 hours travel/initial meet/admin and there's your week right there.

You have to be careful though. Once I did a wedding on the Saturday, set to work at 8am on the Sunday worked until midnight and had the images ready Monday. Even though they were perfect I felt it was too soon after the wedding (made me look bad) so now deliberately delay until a week passes.

Chris Giles Photography

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 08, 2011 17:21 |  #7

I will get a gallery up in about a week during my slow season. 2-3 weeks during the busy season. Usually I aim to have the gallery up before the couple arrives back from their honeymoon (if they take one right away).

Prints and product take anywhere from 1-2 weeks after being ordered depending on what they order. Albums may take as long as 2 months.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 08, 2011 19:13 |  #8

The faster images up, the more prints you sell, while the emotion is still there. ie days, not weeks.

I take between 3 days and 6 weeks, depending on my load. I aim for 2-4 weeks mostly. This is finished files if it's a CD package, of if there's an album it's for proofs and a draft album layout.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 08, 2011 21:01 |  #9

I put 10 sneak peak images up on facebook the day after the wedding. I aim for all the the cropped, colour corrected images (800-1500 generally, tends to be nearer 800 though) to be with the couple in 2-4 weeks. The wedding book design averages between 4-6 weeks after generally.

As I don't do print sales I feel the delay doesn't matter so much. I would like 2 weeks maximum for cropped, colour corrected images and 4 maximum for the design which I'll get to eventually. Life tends to get in the way though :)

I agree with Peacefield there is value in anticipation. The way things pan out for me at the moment mean that the pictures are actively being discussed on facebook for about 6 weeks. From a social media word of mouth angle it works very well. Then when the finished book is delivered I get more standard word of mouth when people see it.

If it doesn't affect sales revenue I'm all for maximising the "rave" i.e. word of mouth. Without being to corny... I like to generate waves of raves...

Peter

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 09, 2011 06:03 |  #10

Always 2-3 weeks. Sometimes I have them done and ready to go within 3 days but I never hand them on. I would want my clients to think that they're not being rushed and I also like the hype of the day to subside. I don't sell prints so I don't need to get them out there.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 11, 2011 13:06 |  #11

Well, I just shot my first wedding recently, and I was curious how I did in this department. It was helpful to see all the responses here. I'm at the 2-week mark (post wedding) right now and expect to have everything finished by the end of the week. I'm delivering an online gallery, DVD with about 800 processed images, and a DVD slideshow of about 200 highlight images, set to music. Given that I have another full-time job and am a travel soccer coach on the fields 5 days a week, I think that's pretty good!

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

checkgio
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 11, 2011 13:18 |  #12

I have done both, a few days and a few weeks and find that the quicker I get the pictures to the couple, the quicker I can put up a link to the online gallery which results in more prints purchased by friends and family of the couple. Other than this, I haven't noticed any difference in doing the slower or faster.

www.glophotography.net (external link)

Christina
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 14, 2011 15:49 as a reply to  @ checkgio's post |  #13

I agree that there is value in anticipation.

I also believe that letting some time pass makes them feel like the process is worth all the money they spend. If I turned around a full gallery in less than a week, I think it would make it seem like it was a piece of cake and I didn't put too much effort into it. I don't want them to think it's really easy. I tell clients their gallery will be ready in 4 weeks and then usually deliver in closer to 3.

I do however blog 10-15 photos within 3-4 days. This is when people are still really excited and you get LOTS of traffic by posting the blog link on FB. I think showing the couple some of the best quickly makes them feel great about the photos and lets them feel confident and excited to see more. I think it builds even more anticipation to see them all - and it also helps satisfy those who might otherwise be emailing you "are they done yet?! are they done yet?!"

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link)
Syncopated Pictures (external link)
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/ (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 14, 2011 16:04 |  #14

Do all of you specify this in your contract?

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 17, 2011 10:25 |  #15

nicksan wrote in post #13251641 (external link)
Do all of you specify this in your contract?

I have a an "approximately six weeks" for the wedding book proof design with a waiver in there too just in case which covers me. The longest I have ever been was 9 weeks which wasn't bad considering I was overseas for a month during that period.

If I do go over my target of six weeks by more than a week I tend to throw in an extra canvas print for free. Not that I have any obligation to I just feel I have let myself down by not meeting my own personal targets. I like to push myself.

I would however always prefer to get the first proof just right rather than rush it to meet a deadline. I don't release the initial proof until I'm 100% happy with it. My clients appreciate that and besides I always explain the production process to them prior to the wedding.

Peter

sponsored links

1,852 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the best turnaround time?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.