Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 09, 2011 13:43 |  #256

haroldwilson wrote in post #13225060 (external link)
Brand loyalty has nothing to do with it. I don't really have brand loyalty. I bought what I thought was the best tripod for my money. If it had been XYZ brand, so be it. I don't care if you buy their tripod or any tripod for that matter.

My problem is you spewing stuff online about a company that makes no sense. It is not even intelligible. What is the mysterious policy that you keep referring to? You know, the one where they aren't allowed to give you something though you really need it. Seriously, what does that even mean.

If you are trying to make a case against their customer service because you had a bad experience, fine. Do a better job of it, please.

Rick: Thank you for pointing that out, but I did not meant to. I admit English is not my first language and I did not express well. I had already edited my original post to clearify everything. Also I am happy with RRS tripod (otherwise I won't even get it) and most of their reply except just once or twice. My previous reply was an childlish post against Haroldwilson's offensive post, which I won't do again.

Haroldwilson: I step back to apologize that I did not express well, but your nickpicking and offensive reply is simply retarded, especially regarding Joe - internet is a free community and you are entitle to do whatever you want. If you want to turn my unintended words into reality then go ahead - its not going to improve my English nor my original intention - answer from those users who uses series 2 vs. 3 RRS tripods.

sponsored links
klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 09, 2011 16:22 |  #257

haroldwilson wrote in post #13225060 (external link)
Brand loyalty has nothing to do with it. I don't really have brand loyalty. I bought what I thought was the best tripod for my money. If it had been XYZ brand, so be it. I don't care if you buy their tripod or any tripod for that matter.

My problem is you spewing stuff online about a company that makes no sense. It is not even intelligible. What is the mysterious policy that you keep referring to? You know, the one where they aren't allowed to give you something though you really need it. Seriously, what does that even mean.

If you are trying to make a case against their customer service because you had a bad experience, fine. Do a better job of it, please.

It really wasn't that hard to figure out what Roger was trying to say. He actually mentioned the return policy in his second reply. Most people who have trouble with 30-day return policies are living outside of the US. Imagine how long it takes to ship or receive a package from overseas. It takes weeks, sometimes months. Sure, you could rush it, but that will cost hundreds of dollars. I bought something from Japan and shipping was about $75 (cheapest available). That box would have cost $15-20 if shipped across the US. A few weeks later, I needed to beat a deadline, so I rushed it. I received it in a little over a week, but it cost almost $200 to ship. If he needs to return the tripod he's pretty much throwing away his money. Would you spend $200+ to return a $900 tripod? I certainly wouldn't. Sure, most of us would just order the second tripod, and return the first. If the first tripod doesn't get back in 30 days, he'd be stuck with two tripods.

I actually applaud Roger for not turning this into one of those "drag <insert company name> through the mud" threads. I'm frankly tired of reading those threads. He tried working with customer service and left it at that. He didn't come here and say "RRS sucks and is unfair...blah blah blah." He didn't turn this into a negative thread--you did.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

haroldwilson
125 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 09, 2011 17:28 |  #258

klr.b wrote in post #13225991 (external link)
It really wasn't that hard to figure out what Roger was trying to say. He actually mentioned the return policy in his second reply. Most people who have trouble with 30-day return policies are living outside of the US. Imagine how long it takes to ship or receive a package from overseas. It takes weeks, sometimes months. Sure, you could rush it, but that will cost hundreds of dollars. I bought something from Japan and shipping was about $75 (cheapest available). That box would have cost $15-20 if shipped across the US. A few weeks later, I needed to beat a deadline, so I rushed it. I received it in a little over a week, but it cost almost $200 to ship. If he needs to return the tripod he's pretty much throwing away his money. Would you spend $200+ to return a $900 tripod? I certainly wouldn't. Sure, most of us would just order the second tripod, and return the first. If the first tripod doesn't get back in 30 days, he'd be stuck with two tripods.

I actually applaud Roger for not turning this into one of those "drag <insert company name> through the mud" threads. I'm frankly tired of reading those threads. He tried working with customer service and left it at that. He didn't come here and say "RRS sucks and is unfair...blah blah blah." He didn't turn this into a negative thread--you did.

No, he didn't originally state that in his second post. He went back and edited his second post to state that. His original post contained a vague at best complaint about being treated unprofessionally by someone in customer service and not liking an unspecified policy. He has now edited some of the posts to clear some of that up. His original post did appear to be a so and so company sucks post with no clear explanation of why. Hence my reply. I have no problem with someone complaining about a company or product on a forum. I do have a problem with them doing it in a vague manner.

Edit: It does appear he stated that in the original second post. I apologize for missing that. The customer service complaint was still vague at best.

haroldwilson
125 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 09, 2011 17:44 |  #259

roger1234 wrote in post #13225448 (external link)
Rick: Thank you for pointing that out, but I did not meant to. I admit English is not my first language and I did not express well. I had already edited my original post to clearify everything. Also I am happy with RRS tripod (otherwise I won't even get it) and most of their reply except just once or twice. My previous reply was an childlish post against Haroldwilson's offensive post, which I won't do again.

Haroldwilson: I step back to apologize that I did not express well, but your nickpicking and offensive reply is simply retarded, especially regarding Joe - internet is a free community and you are entitle to do whatever you want. If you want to turn my unintended words into reality then go ahead - its not going to improve my English nor my original intention - answer from those users who uses series 2 vs. 3 RRS tripods.

Roger 1234,
I feel I owe you an apology. Please accept my apology. I did miss your explanation of the policy you were referring to in your second post. Without that explanation I was assuming you were making a so and so company sucks accusation thread without merit that we see so much of on the web. I see now why you have a problem with the 30 day return policy. I have never had a problem with their customer service, but that certainly doesn't mean you haven't. You may continue to call me offensive and retarded. I have earned it.:o

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 09, 2011 20:24 |  #260

Na, I have faults too... Let's let it go ;) No meant to hide anything though since those posts are quoted.

Still wish anyone can share their experience on 2x vs. 3x. I will get an RRS reply tomorrow - hopefully there's an easier way to borrow a demo 34L instead of full purchase. I had 24 already (screwed by TSA of my home town), evaluating 24L right now but wish to make the right choice while I can still return 24L for 34L, otherwise I may end up with three tripod

Jbustillo: I use estimation; not sure about CF tube marking because I only saw that in Al tripods, which simply by rubbing off anodizing. I would guess you need a safe and strong paint or markers for that. I DO NOT recommend it because it will permanently etched on the tripod.

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 04, 2011 16:48 |  #261

So I bite the bullet and get both - now at the final stage of evaluating.... 24L vs. 34L

Two small eye-candy for comparison - the 150k upload limit is so limiting~~ :rolleyes:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 04, 2011 17:17 |  #262

Too bad I'm too busy to do scientific test nor any sophisticated tests - but here is my findings using 7D, Markins M20 ballhead and 400/5.6 Canon L lenses. Please ignore sharpness for now because I think I may not set the aperture correctly and I did not use full-manual mode nor MLU - each shutter speed was taken three time and select an average one to crop - all 100% size.

Apparently 34L either reduce vibration a little faster, or has lightly lower vibration at 1/2~1/4 seconds. Again please know that I did not do a really good job here and I'm out of time to test both....

My poor eye judgement also see no difference in 10x magnification using life-view on 400/5.6 (same earthquake effect). But boy...these tripods are so much better than Manfrotto (which is not even possible to settle).

Physical appearance wise 34L bare is the same weight as 24L plus Markins M20; the weight felts more heavier than 24L even in indoor usage. Length is also longer on the 34L but the difference in length is not as significant as the width - make many tripod case too small to fit perfectly.

Finally my 2 cent: There is no point of getting 34L unless you need critical sharpness (say like very low light and/or long telephoto), assume the weight and bulk won't become a burden.

Support weight should be the least of your concern unless you have supoer-telephoto like 400/2.8 - for balancing issue most of the time. 24L seems more than capable of handling telephoto's vibration.

And better yet, unless you're over 6' tall than Joe's suggestion is pretty valid - get 33 instead - lighter, more rigid and stronger.

I will make my final decision before Monday night - I still think wildlife can benefit from 4 section so I probably won't try the 33. I do critical sharpness in macro and telephoto so I can really benefit from 34L except I had to make sure the weight/bulk won't let me leave the tripod at home without taking it with me most of the time.....again (once there's Gitzo G1345 long sold).

HOSTED PHOTO

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 05, 2011 10:25 |  #263

I've got the 34L, works for me.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 05, 2011 14:25 |  #264

Thanks for that, Roger. Interesting info.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 05, 2011 16:26 |  #265

James, Did you look at the new catalog? Really Right Stuff has addressed your bag concerns.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 05, 2011 17:02 |  #266

Vermin87 wrote in post #13499558 (external link)
James, Did you look at the new catalog? Really Right Stuff has addressed your bag concerns.

Yeah, every one of the concerns. I talked to Mark about getting some kind of discount or trade-in on my old bag since I pretty much designed the new bag and he said negatory, but not after enjoying the laugh.

I ordered a new one anyway. ;)

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 05, 2011 22:10 |  #267

rick_reno wrote in post #13497820 (external link)
I've got the 34L, works for me.

Apparently I got the 34L too~!! :p Small difference maybe a huge one in future - if I ever get the chance to use 500/4.

Screw Taiwanese's TSA - I'll check my damn tripod every time anyway :)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 06, 2011 00:48 |  #268

roger1234 wrote in post #13501419 (external link)
Apparently I got the 34L too~!! :p Small difference maybe a huge one in future - if I ever get the chance to use 500/4.

Screw Taiwanese's TSA - I'll check my damn tripod every time anyway :)

Mine goes in my checked bag, it's never been a problem.

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 06, 2011 13:20 |  #269

rick_reno wrote in post #13501958 (external link)
Mine goes in my checked bag, it's never been a problem.

Yap - It won't be a problem - except I prefer carry-on due to the fact that most airport have tendancy to randomly smash stuff back to their luggage and some even have frequent cases of stealing. At least I never have good experience on LA aiport - not blaming just my experience.

I'm likely not bring 34L to most of my non-wildlife trips and either use my 24 (if not sold) or get a cheapo 200$ Chinese traveler tripods:confused:

dandig
346 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 29, 2011 21:01 |  #270

I just picked up a TVC-33s and the new version of their series-3 leveling base that has a longer handle on it and a hoook on the bottom. And got some spikes. For me this is the ultimate setup. I spent days trying to decide which one to get but this ticks all the right boxes for me and works very nicely with my BH-40 head that already have. The build quality of the thing is incredible and I love the leveling head with the quick release clamp on it.

IMAGE: http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/111229_6330_dancarr.jpg

I did a post with a ton more photos on my blog as well. I won't link to it here as that's frowned upon but those who want to see more photos of this setup will be able to find it on Google no doubt.

DanCarrPhotography.com (external link)
ShutterMuse.com (external link)
My crazy gear guide! (external link)

sponsored links

112,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.