Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 03 Oct 2011 (Monday) 16:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MKIII being announced on the 26th?

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 07, 2011 14:32 |  #76

Ah NZ is a small market though, theres only a handful of that kind of photog here and I'm sure it just doesnt pay enough to buy hear like the H4D.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

sponsored links
Eiro
Goldmember
1,354 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 07, 2011 17:13 |  #77

I don't think it will be a 5Dmk3 announcement.Just rumors just like the 24-70 mk2 IS. Probably a 1Ds Mk4.

Get out and shoot

Nomofica
509 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 07, 2011 18:37 |  #78

RobDickinson wrote in post #13209534 (external link)
You seem to be of the opinion there is
[...]And autofocus, synch speed? nothing to do with the sensor...[...]

Who said the focus of this thread was solely that of the sensor of the rumoured 5DIII? It's about the camera as a whole item and the rumoured advancements from the 5DII. That being said, I also agree that things such as sync speed, AF, FPS, etc are a much needed improvement and are probably the most important things to improve rather than jam more MPs into the sensor - they need to fix what they already have.

As it has been mentioned earlier in this thead (too lazy to look and see who said it), they're trying to make a camera that does it all. You can't be good at everything. If Canon wants to make a medium format camera, then Canon should make a medium format camera. If they want to make a new video camera, they should make a new video camera. If they want a new entry-level camera, they should make a new entry-level camera. If they want to make a new professional camera, .... you get the point. What it appears (judging by the rumors), Canon is making an entry-level professionally-used medium format video camera. It's like a car that can drive, fly and float.

It seems there's an assumption of "well I [Insert your usage here], so everyone does". If you print big, congrats, but not everyone does. If you crop a lot, congrats, but not everyone does.

In the end I'm more likely to spend my money on newer and better glass than I am to upgrade my camera body. Let's face it - a camera that took great photographs 3 year ago will continue to do so regardless of what new camera has been announced/released.

Portfolio (external link) | 5∞ (external link) | Flickr (external link)

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 08, 2011 04:00 |  #79

i wouldnt expect the 5DIII to be a great improvement canon damaged sales of their 1d series with the release of the 5DII so much. i would expect the 1DS4 to be the first release and possible a new series of pro camcorder in the XL series. or possibly as said before a new lens or lens upgrade.

finally i would be increadably suppriesed if they released the 5DIII around the $4000 mark since they are a business and why would they create a gap in their own market, you do not become one of the biggest camera manufacturs in the world by getting rid of part of your market dominance

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2011 08:29 |  #80

helloagain36 wrote in post #13205487 (external link)
I get what you are saying entirely...and I am not saying that a camera with those capabilities shouldn't exist at all...I just don't think it makes sense for the 5D...save it for the 1D series.

It probably makes *more* sense for the 5D series than the 1D series.

1D cameras (and, to a lesser extent, 1Ds) are popular among action, event and wedding photographers - they have excellent AF, a very fast frame rate and adequate image resolution. If you're shooting 4000 shots at an event, you don't need a 36MP image - 16-18 is more than enough.

5Ds, however, are popular with landscape shooters (since they're smaller than the 1Ds) and studio photographers. These purposes generally call for the highest resolution (and highest recorded detail) possible. They shoot less frames, so huge files are less of a problem. Landscapes don't move, so there is less demand on the AF system and you don't need to be able to shoot 10 frames per second.

I'm just hoping it comes with a decent AF system, better weather-sealing (like the 7D) and true 16-bit output...

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2011 08:38 |  #81

umphotography wrote in post #13207706 (external link)
You guys that print big. How big ? and if that were the case would'nt medium format be the proper option??

Put it this way - I've never sold a print smaller than 20x30".

Yes, I shoot landscapes (and a bit of travel/wildlife work).

Digital medium format, unfortunately, isn't too kind to landscapers - most of the digital backs available are roughly 4:3 format (like 645) which, when cropped to a more typical landscape aspect ratio of 3:2, 2:1 or even 3:1, doesn't give you all that much more sensor area than full-frame. Add to that the lack of UWA medium-format lenses (no equivalent to 14mm or the TS-E 17L) and there's little point to medium format for landscape use. For fashion/portrait photographers, on the other hand...

Now, if someone would just release a 612- or 617-format panoramic digital body... can just imagine the Linhof 612 or 617 with a digital back and live view...

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 08, 2011 14:44 |  #82

Shadowblade wrote in post #13221026 (external link)
Now, if someone would just release a 612- or 617-format panoramic digital body... can just imagine the Linhof 612 or 617 with a digital back and live view...

Duh...get 3 H4Ds and glue them together!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 08, 2011 16:07 |  #83

I'm all for some more mega pixels, most of my jobs are for magazines that like loads of cropping space for layouts etc. What I really want though is a more compact body that's weather sealed with good AF and very fast shutter response, and 16 bit files please :) So long as the noise is good the extra pixels are good for me.

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 09, 2011 08:43 |  #84

cptrios wrote in post #13222116 (external link)
Duh...get 3 H4Ds and glue them together!

Or get 6 5D2s and glue them together, for less than the price of even one H4D!

Presha
840 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 10, 2011 03:48 |  #85

Shadowblade wrote in post #13221026 (external link)
Put it this way - I've never sold a print smaller than

You can always get a SEITZ digital 617! It's an awesome wide format camera that prints hu-gantic pictures! :p

Fuji 617| Phase one 645 DF+| phase one p65+| 80mm 2.8 LS | 35mm AF

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 10, 2011 05:21 |  #86

I have no interest in any Camera body at 4K. I do not make a living or any money for that matter at Photography.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

kumpu
135 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 10, 2011 07:08 |  #87

I'm actually waiting for 5D3 ... just for possibility to get FF camera and change my 7D for that. It seems sports photography isn't paying off so gonna change for portraits and get FF for that.

(No seriously, I love my 7D and gonna keep it)

WWW (external link) | Twitter (external link) | 500px (external link) | fB (external link) | instagram (external link)
Current Gear list

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 10, 2011 08:07 |  #88

Presha wrote in post #13228243 (external link)
You can always get a SEITZ digital 617! It's an awesome wide format camera that prints hu-gantic pictures! :p

It's a scanning back, unfortunately, so it doesn't work well if there are moving elements in the scene (e.g. the sun, moon or stars, moving water), doesn't work at all for long-exposure shots (e.g. star trails) and doesn't work in dim lighting (since each line is only exposed for a few milliseconds). Given my favourite subjects and times of day, I'd need to be able to expose *every* pixel for 1-30 seconds or more, not just expose each line for 1/2000s for a total exposure time of 1s.

Not sure if digital 612 or 617 would be better, actually - with available lenses, 612 tends to give you wider shots (38mm on 612 vs 72mm on 617) and, with or without cropping, image quality would be all but indistinguishable...

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 10, 2011 08:56 |  #89

Shadowblade wrote in post #13228729 (external link)
It's a scanning back, unfortunately, so it doesn't work well if there are moving elements in the scene (e.g. the sun, moon or stars, moving water), doesn't work at all for long-exposure shots (e.g. star trails) and doesn't work in dim lighting (since each line is only exposed for a few milliseconds). Given my favourite subjects and times of day, I'd need to be able to expose *every* pixel for 1-30 seconds or more, not just expose each line for 1/2000s for a total exposure time of 1s.

Not to mention the fact that the quality is quite poor on a pixel level. It's got that "old CCD" look to it. You would be much, much, much better off taking a quick 5/6-shot pano with a 5D2...you'd get more detail and, provided there's nothing in the frame moving particularly fast, far less motion artifacting. Of course it still wouldn't be good for star trails.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

csshih
196 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 10, 2011 09:37 as a reply to  @ cptrios's post |  #90

it is better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them (with regards to MP)

Craig

sponsored links

40,591 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MKIII being announced on the 26th?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.