Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 19:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Hazards of shooting football from sidelines

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 10, 2011 19:25 |  #1

http://sports.yahoo.co​m …s-Cardinal?urn=nfl-wp8997 (external link)

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

sponsored links
Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 10, 2011 19:30 |  #2

pretty scary. glad i dont shoot at that level

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 10, 2011 19:31 |  #3

It doesn't matter the level.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 10, 2011 19:37 |  #4

it seems as though they might hit harder since the sports that i shoot noone is nearly that size lol. and i have been knocked over shooting at my school once and it wasnt as disorienting as that hit looked to that photog

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 10, 2011 20:00 |  #5

Some of those comments on that page link are pretty ridiculous.

I have had to duck and run...last Saturday was the latest. :-)

As Kenny Rogers put it...
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, and...
Know when to run! :-)

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

lonustuna
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 10, 2011 20:24 as a reply to  @ MT Stringer's post |  #6

Part of the dangers of looking for that great shot..I've been hit several times by hockey pucks. Hope that guy was alright though, the hit separated his lens from the body. Ouch...:(

arjay702
436 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 10, 2011 22:59 |  #7

i hope he had insurance.

“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”
Dr. Seuss
If anyone is looking for someone to give away free gear, look no further :)

Going ­ Baroque
349 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 11, 2011 00:45 |  #8

lonustuna wrote in post #13231905 (external link)
Part of the dangers of looking for that great shot..

Got sucked in by that last friday. QB threw the ball, I can see it really well even in the viewfinder as it was sailing towards me (play took place right in front of the stadium lights). I got the shot I wanted, moved out of the way without any drama, but I forgot I set the 300 that was on a monopod on the ground before the play. :oops: To make matters worse, the flash didn't recycle fast enough after I took the shot of the QB tossing the ball, so 'the catch' I wanted came out way underexposed. I lost a 2 week old sb900 flash, but the upside is that it's replacement is rumored to be coming out soon. LOL

Ron ­ Hu
435 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 11, 2011 02:16 as a reply to  @ Going Baroque's post |  #9

He'll be selling the camera and lens on here, in a few days.. "babied use", "never abused, just light normal wear."

:lol:

Canon EOS 5D IV,
Canon EF 24-70L MK II, Canon EF 70-200L MK II
Sigma Art 14mm, 35mm 85mm, PW Mini TT1 & 4x Flex TT5, 580 Ex II & 430 Ex II, 4x AB800, 4x AC9, PCB BD and Softbox for AB; Sekonic 478DR

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 11, 2011 09:12 |  #10

Ouch! That was full-on hit. Looks like he took a facemask to the head!

And yes, you have to be vigilant on the sidelines as totally unexpected things happen. Couple of examples.

Last season, a running back was being ridden out of bounds on a sweep run play. Whistle blows after runner is clearly out of bounds. A safety comes in and blasts both players which caused all three players launch in three different directions. I got the running back in the shins. Was able to skip away after minor contact but certainly didn't see it coming.

In a HS baseball game. Runner on 3rd with two outs. I'm the hind plate guy when the batter hits a one-hopper straight back to the mound. The catcher is pointing toward 1st base and the pitcher decides to throw a 70mph seed home to get the runner! The catcher is completely surprised, sticks up his glove in a defensive effort to save himself. Ball glances off his glove and zings by my head missing me by an inch or two. Runners safe all the way around.

You try to anticipate what's going to happen and you'll be right most of the time. But you have to expect the unexpected and do everything in your power to safeguard against what the sideline photog got in the NFL game. Just about anything can happen at any time in live sports.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

smyke
560 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 11, 2011 09:22 |  #11

poor guy.
I saw two penalties on that hit. 1: it was late, 2: helmet to face contact. thats like 25 yards combined.

seriously though, would it hurt the "superstar receiver" to make sure the guy was OK?

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

CatchingUp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 11, 2011 10:21 |  #12

smyke wrote in post #13234353 (external link)
seriously though, would it hurt the "superstar receiver" to make sure the guy was OK?

I thought the same thing. What a jerk.

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 11, 2011 10:22 |  #13

smyke wrote in post #13234353 (external link)
poor guy.
I saw two penalties on that hit. 1: it was late, 2: helmet to face contact. thats like 25 yards combined.

Ya know? Just to take a few seconds to stop and check on him. I am sure glad that high school players, or at least the ones I shoot, don't run that fast or hit that hard! Glad he was okay!

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

kompressor
305 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 11, 2011 13:46 |  #14

Brian_R wrote in post #13231684 (external link)

I'd gladly take the risk to shoot at that level.

SmugMug (external link)
Can you take my picture on some railroad tracks?! No, that's illegal now. I'm really sorry.

4Bucks
660 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 11, 2011 14:06 |  #15

Man! Being that I am not a rich man and it took me about three years to fund the gear I currently have... I may look into the availability of insuring my gear. I am on the sidelines of some type of sport 2-3 times a week. A hit to my camera like that would take me out of photography for quite a while. Is there a place you can get insurance specificly for our gear?

4Bucks does not = photo for $... Four Buckleys in the family
A must read for all new to photography: Ben's Newbie Guide https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088
My stuff: 7D, some lenses, and OCFs
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,482 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Hazards of shooting football from sidelines
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.