Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 11 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 14:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to sort pictures on picture DVD from two photographers

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 11, 2011 14:12 |  #1

So I'll soon be delivering a DVD of wedding images taken by me and my second shooter. We use different file naming conventions. So there won't be any conflicts in that sense. However, I'd like the pictures to be in chronological sequence and be organized that way on the DVD. I'm not sure how to do that. I'll be uploading all the images to a smugmug gallery and I can tell smugmug to sort them by "picture taken" time. So I'd like the DVD to present the images in the same order, regardless of the file name or any modification time on the file. I don't have Lightroom and understand it can do that. I do have CS5 and Bridge, but I never use Bridge. Anyone have an easy way to do this? Thanks.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

sponsored links
Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 11, 2011 14:21 |  #2

This is how I do it, from the start, with 2 photographers.

Import my photos into a "Bryan" folder
Import my second shooters into a "their name" folder
Sync photo times
Rename my photos with "####_date_Bryan_LastN​ame-Wedding" (#### starting at 0001)
Rename seconds photos with "####_date_Second'sNam​e_LastName-Wedding" (#### starting at 0001)
Move all photos into a new folder called "Original"
Select out all the photos.

Before i export the images to jpg, I will rename them so they are sequential, and without my name or my seconds name. I like to put our names in the sorting process so I know who took which photo. The client doesnt need to know. I am responsible for all of the images, regardless if I shot them or not. That is why I pay a second shooter, and they understand this.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 11, 2011 15:16 |  #3

I always have my second syncronize her camera time with my cameras. That way, regardless of the naming conventions used, the time stamp is correct and then I can sort by timestamp in Bridge or LightRoom. This makes it much easier to keep everything in cronological order.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 11, 2011 15:29 |  #4

Why would the customer care who took the photo? One file naming convention, with chronological ordering, makes more sense IMHO.

How I do it is covered in my workflow.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

IUnknown
738 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 11, 2011 15:40 |  #5

And can up update the exif data in bridge? Facebook adds the name of the photographer in the exif data with a link to the seconds website. Might be embarrassing if the bride uploads a photo and it gets directed to your seconds website.

Fiske | Film (external link)
5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | LEICA 50MM SUMMICRON-R F2 | Canon 135L | Elmoscope anamorphic lens | 430EX II

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 11, 2011 15:55 |  #6

tim wrote in post #13236117 (external link)
Why would the customer care who took the photo?

I don't think that's the issue, Tim. The OP simply wants to combine images from different cameras and put them all in chronological order.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 11, 2011 16:17 |  #7

My workflow covers that too. Just rename based on time taken, or whatever order you like, and use filename as the ordering system.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 11, 2011 18:35 |  #8

As already stated, the key is to sync your camera's times before the shoot. Then, in Windows Explorer, I just sort by capture time. With that sort, I take all of the photos into a file renaming application; I use Renamer by Den4B (freeware) and just rename them based on whatever rule I choose.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 11, 2011 20:56 |  #9

Peacefield wrote in post #13236941 (external link)
the key is to sync your camera's times before the shoot. Then, in Windows Explorer, I just sort by capture time. With that sort, I take all of the photos into a file renaming application; I use Renamer by Den4B (freeware) .

Can do same in Bridge. With all photos in same folder, sort by date created then batch rename.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

patrick ­ clarke
251 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 11, 2011 22:00 as a reply to  @ highway0691's post |  #10

for those who shoot using a combination of a FF and a APS-C does this in any way affect the organisation of the pictures ?

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 11, 2011 23:18 |  #11

patrick clarke wrote in post #13237904 (external link)
for those who shoot using a combination of a FF and a APS-C does this in any way affect the organisation of the pictures ?

Not at all. I've shot with Canon FF and crop along with Nikon FF in the same wedding, they all just put out RAW files and I treat them the same for organisation. I process the images from each camera slightly differently though.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 12, 2011 00:24 |  #12

patrick clarke wrote in post #13237904 (external link)

You can sort 1Ds Mk III shots with cell phone shots if you want. They all have a capture time.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 12, 2011 05:57 |  #13

Load both in lightroom, sort by capture time, select all, hit f2 and batch rename.

Just hope to hell your cameras had their clocks in sync ;)

Chris Giles Photography

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 12, 2011 06:06 |  #14

Gel wrote in post #13239154 (external link)

I have to sync both my 5D MK2 regularly as one either runs too fast or too slow.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 12, 2011 06:41 |  #15

Gel wrote in post #13239154 (external link)
Load both in lightroom, sort by capture time, select all, hit f2 and batch rename.

OP said they do not have lightroom.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,591 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to sort pictures on picture DVD from two photographers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.