Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 12:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ordering thru Amazon

patspicasa
449 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by patspicasa.

Oct 12, 2011 12:46 |  #1

hxfxfyhz

No signature

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 12, 2011 12:49 |  #2

None of my lenses had wrapping around the box. And the "dinging" on that box is so minor I doubt it would have any effect at all on the lens.

Is the lens clean? Does it have any marks?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 12, 2011 12:58 as a reply to  @ post 13240686 |  #3

Excuse me if i sound like i assume you can't read lol but i thinks sometimes people don't realize that they are not buying from Amazon, but through Amazon.

When i buy certain items, i only buy ones that are sold and fulfilled through Amazon.

If im looking for something refurbished or used then i would consider a seller...

make sure to check that...

if this was suppose to be a brand new lens then you probably bought it off someone where Amazon might fulfill it and thus it is not actually brand new but slightly used...

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

patspicasa
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 12, 2011 13:07 |  #4

Alright Rolfe - i am not offended by your comment:) But I checked my order and it was fullfilled by Amazon but sold by someoe else - should I be worried?

No signature

NoobyShooter
33 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 12, 2011 13:19 |  #5

Packaging from Amazon sometimes sucks...

Also even you buy the item that is sold and fulfilled through Amazon, there is no wrapping around lens/camera box.

Make sure you do a focus test if you think your item might get damaged during the shipping. One of my L lens was bouncing around in the classical "Yellow" Amazon package.... hate it when they do that crappy packaging work on $1500 plus lens.

paintyourxtarget
96 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 12, 2011 13:20 |  #6

That looks pretty normal to me--there isn't supposed to be any shrink wrap, if that's what you mean. Is the seller you purchased it from the one that most people buy that lens through? I'm sure the seller is reputable. That box looks fine to me, any dents in the cardboard probably occurred in transit or when they were handling it.

IMO I'm a little upset at the way amazon packs their products. I ordered two lenses and a few smaller items a week ago; the shipping can't be beat, but they all arrived in one ENORMOUS box with almost no padding. God knows how much those lenses shook around in the box.

NoobyShooter
33 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 12, 2011 13:25 |  #7

That's exactly what I've been through...

paintyourxtarget wrote in post #13240828 (external link)
IMO I'm a little upset at the way amazon packs their products. I ordered two lenses and a few smaller items a week ago; the shipping can't be beat, but they all arrived in one ENORMOUS box with almost no padding. God knows how much those lenses shook around in the box.

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 12, 2011 13:39 |  #8

Wow, I can't believe they didn't box it up.

I've ordered a lot from Amazon and never had this happen.

I just got my 17-40L a few weeks ago. I bought it on Amazon, but Adorama is where it actually came from. I don't know if they ship from Adorama or Amazon but it was boxed in a big box, lots of peanuts and then had to dig my Canon 17-40 box out of there.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as your lens looks good. BTW, I loved my 10-22 so much I'd almost go back to crop just to get one!

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 12, 2011 13:43 |  #9

wait, just to get this straight; did your box come in the mail just like that? No "amazon" box or anything? Just the lens box by itself?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

stichedskater
108 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 12, 2011 13:51 |  #10

Sometimes its not amazon, but a individual seller that is selling the item...
so you need read the description thoroughly and reading sellers feedback is a big thing as well. looks great overall take some sample pictures with the lens and see if there are any defects with the lens. another big thing is to also read sellers return policy also.

Gripped 30d/ 75-300mm/ 28-135mm IS
Flickr (external link)

jasonar
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 12, 2011 14:32 |  #11

Sirrith wrote in post #13240949 (external link)
wait, just to get this straight; did your box come in the mail just like that? No "amazon" box or anything? Just the lens box by itself?

The lens will come in an Amazon box as long as Amazon.com is the seller (or shipment is fullfilled by Amazon.com). The problem is that there are times when no padding materials is used to secure the box on the inside. In this case, the Canon box moved around a bit while in transit and created some dents. Amazon has been hit or miss on packaging. If not buying locally, then I will use Adorama or B&H over Amazon due to how they package their boxes for shipment.

Jason
Canon 7D | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-200L f/4 IS | EF 50 f/1.4

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 12, 2011 14:38 as a reply to  @ jasonar's post |  #12

Just make sure the lens performs as needed....maybe take it to a local photo spot and have them give it a quick check...

as long as it works 100%, then its fine...packing is a subjective thing...everyone has a different approach to packaging....thats why i base that on how i buy from Amazon.

if it is used then i know im taking a chance....ill buy from a seller off of amazon....i still expect to get what i pay for but i also understand the risks...

however,

if i buy BRAND NEW directly from Amazon and im not 100% happy, i will reach out.

To me, it is all about the experience....buying from Amazon should be like buying in a store....settings are different....but overall experience should be the same.

And yes, Amazon has amazing CS.

I bought my 550D kit, rocket blower, and Canon Bag on Amazon. The Camera and Bag came right from Amazon, but the rocket blower was from a 3rd party seller.

All came as expected in perfect condition...no issues whatsoever. The 550D box seemed a little "loose" like it had been opened once or twice but it might have been to check before shipping...everything was accounted for and brand new.

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 12, 2011 14:41 |  #13

jasonar wrote in post #13241181 (external link)
The lens will come in an Amazon box as long as Amazon.com is the seller (or shipment is fullfilled by Amazon.com). The problem is that there are times when no padding materials is used to secure the box on the inside. In this case, the Canon box moved around a bit while in transit and created some dents. Amazon has been hit or miss on packaging. If not buying locally, then I will use Adorama or B&H over Amazon due to how they package their boxes for shipment.

That wasn't my question. I think there is a bit of confusion here because the OP stated the box did not come with any wrapping. New lens boxes don't come with wrapping as in cling film or shrink wrap or anything of the sort, which is what I told the OP in my first post here, but now I re-read his post, I feel the need to clarify things a bit, hence my question; did the lens box come in an amazon box.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

patspicasa
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 12, 2011 14:49 |  #14

Yes - the lens came packed in a nice big amazon box

No signature

John ­ Schell
812 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 12, 2011 16:05 |  #15

I've purchased everything THROUGH Amazon - and what I wasn't happy with I easily returned.

The only time I had an issue was when I desperately needed a battery grip for my 5dmkii and the only ones available were through a third party. I ordered and when it arrived, although it was new, it was very clearly a gray market item.

It was returned within days.

Website (external link) || Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

3,459 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ordering thru Amazon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.